Lorie Marler
True Blue Farmgirl

265 Posts

Lorie
Guymon Ok
USA
265 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2009 :  08:38:27 AM  Show Profile
I have been wanting to get 2 rabbits for my son and I to show and have as pets since last years County Show. I especially would like angoras so I can spin the hair but I have had the hardest time finding any local rabbits.

Our Tractor supply has a few mini rexs and I think lop ears and I made a new friend down the street that has rabbits but hers are all sick. She said we could have 1 but when I went yesterday to look at them most of them had nasty crusty ears, 1 was coughing, and 1 had a snotty nose (they had 12 all in a cage together) She really doesn't know what kind of rabbits she has either and accidentally breed them a few times so I am kind of leary of hers.

Can I buy them and have them shipped?? I was thinking of waiting till after Easter and trying to find some rabbits that need homes after the kids get tired of them. I know I won't find an angora that way but I am trying to be thrifty too.

Any suggestions???

dkelewae
True Blue Farmgirl

1310 Posts

Diana
Saint Peters MO
USA
1310 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2009 :  09:27:44 AM  Show Profile
Lorie- I'd suggest you attend a rabbit show to look for rabbits for sale. Here's the official ARBA(American Rabbit Breeders Association) list of upcoming shows in OK. http://www.arba.net/Shows.php#OK

Just so you know, most reputable rabbit breeders will not sell "easter bunnies". If you do find rabbits that you like, make sure that they're at least 8 weeks old. I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have, as I have had rabbits most of my life and was very active in showing them for over 10 years.

Diana
Farmgirl Sister #272
St. Peters MO
Country Girl trapped in the city!

http://farmgirldreams.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Lorie Marler
True Blue Farmgirl

265 Posts

Lorie
Guymon Ok
USA
265 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2009 :  04:56:04 AM  Show Profile
Oh thanks. I don't think my post sounded right. I was thinking lots of kids may get Easter bunnies and as it always happens several of them won't want them in a few months so it would be great if we could give one of them a home instead of buying a rabbit.

As it turns out we are seriously in need now since our dogs got into a terrible fight yesterday and the vet put mine down lastnight and the other one (my 5 year olds) is going to probably be put down today after he gets time to say good bye. I know he is going to be heart broken and he has been working so hard at taking good care of her. I know another animal will never take their place but we had agreed if he showed us he could take care of Nicky we would get him a rabbit in a few weeks and he has really done awesome. I am so heartsick for him and our dogs.
Go to Top of Page

Lorie Marler
True Blue Farmgirl

265 Posts

Lorie
Guymon Ok
USA
265 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2009 :  05:05:29 AM  Show Profile
I checked the ARBA upcoming shows and the closet one is 5 hrs away so a no go there. Thanks anyway.
Go to Top of Page

dkelewae
True Blue Farmgirl

1310 Posts

Diana
Saint Peters MO
USA
1310 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2009 :  07:04:21 AM  Show Profile
Lorie-I'm so sorry to hear about your dogs :( Are you located close to another state? If so I could send you the link for rabbit shows that might be closer. Also, you might want to check Craigslist.

Diana
Farmgirl Sister #272
St. Peters MO

Go to Top of Page

Lorie Marler
True Blue Farmgirl

265 Posts

Lorie
Guymon Ok
USA
265 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2009 :  07:46:35 AM  Show Profile
I am close to Tx and Kansas
Go to Top of Page

Lorie Marler
True Blue Farmgirl

265 Posts

Lorie
Guymon Ok
USA
265 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2009 :  07:52:11 AM  Show Profile
Wait I found a show this weekend in Garden City, Ks. That is 2 hours from here. we went there a few weeks ago.

Is there a way to find out what breeds will be there and where it is ect? Should I just go and check it out? Will there be any rabbits for sale?? How much should I expect to pay?

Thank you thank you thank you!!!!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

AmyEllen
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Amy
McPherson Kansas
USA
235 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2009 :  11:33:50 AM  Show Profile
You might be able to contact the people who are running the show and they can tell you if it is an all breed show or just certain breeds. One thing you may want to remember is that you have to have registration papers to show rabbits. So buying fomr the feed store or pet store is not a viable option. I raised rabbits for years, and my kids did as well for 6 years through 4-H. It really depends upon the breed of rabbit as to what your going to pay. You may pay as little as 15, but it can go up from there, I paid 35 dollars 19 years ago for one of my show bunnies. So really it depends.

My Blog
http://lifenkansas.blogspot.com/
Amore Schnauzers
http://amoreschnauzers.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

AmyEllen
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Amy
McPherson Kansas
USA
235 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2009 :  11:35:36 AM  Show Profile
Oh yes and really stay away from any bunnies who have signs of a snotty nose. That can be kennel cough, yes bunnies can get it and yes they can die.

My Blog
http://lifenkansas.blogspot.com/
Amore Schnauzers
http://amoreschnauzers.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Lorie Marler
True Blue Farmgirl

265 Posts

Lorie
Guymon Ok
USA
265 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2009 :  6:28:07 PM  Show Profile
Ok the lady down the street with the sick bunnies came by today and said that after I left the other day they cleaned out the cages and her husband put one of the rabbits he thought was another male in the cage with the buck and guess what it wasn't. They are expecting more bunnies in 28 days. Right now they have 13 bunnies so she said we can have 1 or 2. Umm what about them being sick??? I asked how they are doing and she said they cleaned and bleached the cage and are working on getting more cages so they don't have 12 in 1 big cage ect. I am worried about them being sick and the babies getting sick. I don't think I can handle the kids and I getting attached to a bunny and it dying too.
Go to Top of Page

dkelewae
True Blue Farmgirl

1310 Posts

Diana
Saint Peters MO
USA
1310 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2009 :  7:01:06 PM  Show Profile
Personally, I wouldn't take them. All the bleach in the world isn't going to clear up the pasturella virus.

Diana
Farmgirl Sister #272
St. Peters MO

Go to Top of Page

Lorie Marler
True Blue Farmgirl

265 Posts

Lorie
Guymon Ok
USA
265 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2009 :  7:05:58 PM  Show Profile
Ahh man!!! If it is Pasturella could it clear up or will they be sick forever? She thinks it is just from too many rabbits in 1 cage ect. If the rabbits are well looking in a few weeks are they ok or is it something that never goes away??

Great news!! I may be able to get a couple Angora bunnies if I can arrange a time when the breeder and I can meet!! I am so excited!!!!
Go to Top of Page

dkelewae
True Blue Farmgirl

1310 Posts

Diana
Saint Peters MO
USA
1310 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2009 :  07:53:00 AM  Show Profile
Pasturella is forever, and most breeders who have a rabbit with it will put it down, since it's highly contagious. I'm sorry to sound like a broken record, but there's no way I'd get a rabbit from these people. In addition to the rabbits all being sick, they never should have housed multiple rabbits in one cage like that, further stressing them out.

Hope it works out with the Angora bunnies for you! You're braver than I am...angoras are a lot of work...but they sure are beautiful :)

Diana
Farmgirl Sister #272
St. Peters MO

Go to Top of Page

Lorie Marler
True Blue Farmgirl

265 Posts

Lorie
Guymon Ok
USA
265 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2009 :  09:16:47 AM  Show Profile
Well I am a professional dog groomer so it wouldn't be a problem at all to brush the bunnies out. I would be so excited to get the fiber for spinning I may have to restrain myself from brushing too much. I haven't learned how to spin yet but hope to very soon.
Go to Top of Page

eponaluna
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

Cara
Hallsville TX
USA
1 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2009 :  1:22:09 PM  Show Profile
Hi all! I'm new here. I used to raise rabbits on a pretty large scale about 15 years ago but just own one English Angora now. Pasturella can be cleared up with Baytril (only available through vets as far as I know) but it doesn't work every time and you have to do a lot of disinfecting and isolating because they can get reinfected very easily. You might want to pass the Baytril suggestion on to the people with the sick bunnies.
Go to Top of Page

Lorie Marler
True Blue Farmgirl

265 Posts

Lorie
Guymon Ok
USA
265 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2009 :  6:22:38 PM  Show Profile
Thanks I will let them know.
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Wanted rabbits Next Topic