Printer Friendly
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Hazardous sleep meds Next Topic  

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2009 :  7:14:44 PM  Show Profile
I just wondered--has anyone else ever taken prescription sleep meds, like Ambien or Sonata, and experieinced hallucinations and amnesia as a result? I used to take Sonata on occasion and I'd fall asleep within half an hour, then I'd sleep maybe twenty or thirty minutes and wake up. I'd feel like I was fully awake but I'd say and do weird things. Then I'd go back to sleep, and have no memory of it. this went on for some time, then one night I woke up and was talking to a statue that had come alive--yikes!--so I called my doctor the next day and he said it was the Sonata. I threw it away and haven't taken it since. I've read about these "hypnotic agents" and they do come with a warning but I feel most doctors don't warn strongly enough what these meds. can do to you. It's almost like you're in a dream but you're awake--but you aren't fully cognizant of what you're saying or doing. I just want to warn anyone else who may have taken or is currently taking these drugs that they can be dangerous--you may say things that don't make sense but the person you're talking to doesn't know you're "under the influence". Now, if I can't get to sleep, I just keep going till I'm ready to drop. Nothing is worth the price of
having amnesia about what you said or did the night before.
Google "hypnotic agents" and read...you may never complain again about not being able to sleep. I know I won't.

Kerri
Farmgirl at Heart

5 Posts

Tara
Spring Lake Heights NJ
USA
5 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2009 :  10:00:46 AM  Show Profile
Prairehawk, Out of the experiences of difficulties sleeping, try some of my soltions. I found that each day I did a little daily exercise of about twenty minutes, I slept like a baby that night. Keeping the same hour for bedtime gave progress. Having a hot cup of skullcap herbal tea was relaxing before bed. I found that the one thing most helpful of all was to do a meditation alone in bed, usually w/ a CD's guidance, just put me into a deep sleep. It's usually easier to live our lives keeping chemicals & toxins out(not needing to face meds' side effects). Mother-nature seems to be the best for us nowadays. I hope this helps! Tara
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2009 :  7:07:28 PM  Show Profile
Thank you for the suggestion! I do take skullcap for anxiety, but haven't tried it for sleep. I've also started doing a series of gentle exercises that were created by a Buddhist monk (hurt myself doing yoga). I will definately try the skullcap when I have trouble sleeping next time!
Cindy
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2009 :  9:29:31 PM  Show Profile
Cindy,

Here are a couple suggestions that may be helpful:

~Try taking 1000 MG of Calcium w/Vitamin D and 500 MG Magnesium about a half an hour before bed
~Make sure that your bedroom is a comfortable temperature with some fresh air or ventilation
~Treat yourself to some nice bed linens. 100% cotton and a high thread count :)
~I would try not to eat anything after 6 pm
~Try to go to bed the same time every night
~Keep the bedroom just for sleeping and intimacy (No TV or bill paying)
~Start an evening routine with a cup of tea and perhaps light reading, a bath
~Like Tara suggested exercising during the day helps me to sleep better too
~I haven't tried this yet, but perhaps purchase a sleep pillow. A small pillow filled with Chamomile, lavender, and hops to help you relax

I do hope that you can get some good quality sleep without having to rely on meds.

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory
Go to Top of Page

sjs
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Stephanie
Oakland CA
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2009 :  12:38:37 PM  Show Profile  Send sjs an AOL message  Send sjs a Yahoo! Message
Have you tried melatonin? That works really well for some people, and is a good, natural solution. Another thing that works for me is not exercising or engaging in heavy physical activity three or more hours before bed.

I also have tried ambien, but one night my husband said I was jumping up and down on the bed talking about how the walls were breathing. Yikes.

--------------------
Learning to live is learning to let go.

Visit my food blog! http://www.wasabimon.com - natural cooking to live for.
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2009 :  7:23:31 PM  Show Profile
Sharon--thank you for the suggestions. I have been sleeping better lately since the days have gotten nicer. I find I do best on about 5-6 hours of sleep. Some people may think that's not enough but it works good for me. I've also been taking my dog for long walks each day and doing the Mindful Movements exercises at night, which really helps.
I tried taking melatonin but it didn't seem to help. However, I was taking it during the winter, which is when I have the most trouble sleeping. Something about those long, dark evenings makes me nervous. Now th evenings are getting longer but a lot more light. I suspect that I just need a certain amount of light each day in order to function well...
I'm curious as to how the calcium and magnesium work to help you sleep better.
Cindy
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2009 :  7:46:11 PM  Show Profile
Cindy,

I don't know the science behind it. I had read it years ago in a health book and tried it. It helps me to get good quality sleep where even if interrupted I can pick up where I have left off. Sorry I can't be of more help with that. I think the book was Feed Yourself Right.

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory
Go to Top of Page

Jana
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Jana
Eau Claire Wisconsin
USA
482 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2009 :  06:36:33 AM  Show Profile
I've used Ambien on and off. Usually I get about 2-3 hours of sleep then I'm wide awake. Hardly worth it.

I've found that plain old Benedryl works just fine, that is, if Benedryl makes you sleepy. I think it does most people.

I take other meds so that I'm leary of herbals but I find the best thing to do is consult with my doc.

Jana
Go to Top of Page

idsweetie72
True Blue Farmgirl

129 Posts

Sandra
New Meadows idaho
USA
129 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2009 :  10:39:01 AM  Show Profile
Melatonin does work wonders- and you can start out using only 3g, it is natural- and non habit forming-

Mazy Day Farm
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2009 :  7:46:38 PM  Show Profile
Thank you all so much for your suggestions. I took the skullcap last night before I went to bed--boy, did I sleep! Like a baby. I will definately look into the calcium and magnesium...I was just looking at the bottle of melatonin I have and it is 3mg. but when I used it before, it just didn't seem to help. Part of it is just me--I tend to have a hyperactive mind so I need something strong--but natural. It would probably help too if I could move out of this town and live in the country...I grew up rural and loved falling asleep to the sound of crickets and waking to the call of bobwhites (which, sadly, are very rare here anymore). Someday I'll move back to the country-
Cindy
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Hazardous sleep meds Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page