Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 What do you put in your meatloaf?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic What do you put in your meatloaf? Next Topic  

lovelady
True Blue Farmgirl

533 Posts

Toni
Indiana
USA
533 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2009 :  3:43:34 PM  Show Profile
For any of you ladies that make meatloaf, what do you put in yours? Meatloaf is usually one of my recipes that I go to when I haven't really planned anything else. I thought it would be interesting to see the different ways we make it.
To my ground beef I usually add chopped onion, green pepper, garlic salt, worcestershire sauce, mustard, ketchup, brown sugar, pepper, an egg, and oatmeal. I think this is basically what my mom did, but she used cracker crumbs or breadcrumbs instead of oatmeal.
I know that alot of cooks say to use a mixture of ground meats, not just beef, but when I added some of our ground pork, it just seemed like I couldn't get enough of the fat out of it.

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2009 :  3:48:14 PM  Show Profile
Your meatloaf sounds similar to mine..I mix tomatoe sauce in place of the ketchup..Dh likes raisins in it and finely chopped carrots. Sounds yummy..

Cheryl
Farmgirl #309
Klamath Falls "Charming Chicks Chapter" Mother Hen

Almost daily posts at:
http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
Come visit the barn at http://barndoorcreations.blogspot.com/

You never know when what you say or do will make a difference...Kerry Kennedy

Edited by - K-Falls Farmgirl on Mar 16 2009 3:48:47 PM
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2009 :  7:19:34 PM  Show Profile
I use grated carrots, chopped shallots, basil, parsley, worcestershire, ketchrp, egg, salt and pepper, and breadcrumbs. I use a mix of ground turkey breast and 80/20 beef. About 10 minutes before I take it out of the oven I cover the top with ketchup and brown sugar. It makes a nice crust.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

lupinelady99
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Lisa
Massena New York
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2009 :  7:29:50 PM  Show Profile  Send lupinelady99 an ICQ Message  Click to see lupinelady99's MSN Messenger address
meatloaf, that made me laugh! My husband called me at work once looking for my recipe. Like so many recipes that you use often, it was in my head.

I use ground beef and sometimes some mild sausage. Egg, garlic, parmesan cheese, bread crumbs or cracker crumbs, some italian salad dressing, W-sauce, liquid smoke and then top it with some cheese just before serving.

http://www.myspace.com/lupinelady99
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2009 :  7:45:38 PM  Show Profile
I have tried many recipes and this one I found last year. It is very tasty and my husband actually loves it :)

Meat Loaf

1 lb. Hamburger
1 tsp. Salt
1 egg
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup instant oats
1/2 cup chopped onion (I saute the onion first in a little bit of olive oil)
1 cup shredded cheese

Mix together all main ingredients and make into small loaves should make about 6, place them in a 9x13 baking dish that has been sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Then pour topping mixture over loaves and bake for 1 hour at 350.

Topping:
1 1/2 Tbsp mustard
2/3 cup ketchup
1/4 cup packed brown sugar

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

Edited by - Calicogirl on Mar 16 2009 8:43:10 PM
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2009 :  9:38:49 PM  Show Profile
I use half ground beef (lean) and half elk or venison ground if I have it, chopped onions, peppers and usually one egg. I always use ritz cracker crumbs...I think because my grandma did...good flavor..and usually some southwest seasonings and ketchup. I put bbq sauce over the top during the last 1/2 hour of cooking. Mine cooks at 350 for an hour. (reg size loaf pans) I always have to make 3 loaves...two for suppertime and one for sandwiches for my husband for the next day.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2009 :  12:43:40 AM  Show Profile
oh this is funny...
I make meatloaf lots of different ways.
Sometimes it is simply several slices of whole wheat bread crumbled with a wee bit of milk, an egg and ground bison with about half a jar of Jardine's salsa.
Sometimes it is ground bison, potato flakes, a wee bit of milk,and A1 sauce,a wee bit of ketchup, a wee tiny bit of mustard.
Sometimes it is just the meat and a half jar of salsa.
Sometimes it is the ground bison, oatmeal, ketchup, mustard, an egg...then a ketchup glaze or a cheese topping.
Sometimes I simply mix the meat with a half can of campbell's onion soup and an egg and whole wheat bread crumbs crumbled and then surround the meatloaf with baby carrots and chunks of potato and pour the rest of the can of soup over the veggies.
Really depends upon what I have handy and what "mood" I am in.

~I Dream of a Better World..where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned!~
blogs:http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and http://thevictorygardener.blogspot.com
magazine: www.stliving.net
etsy shops: http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
and http://myvictorygarden.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2009 :  02:37:23 AM  Show Profile
This is my friend Kim's recipe. It's the best meatloaf I've ever eaten.

1-1/2 lbs. lean ground beef
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup cracker crumbs (or bread crumbs - any kinda crumbs)
Salt and pepper
1/2 cup milk

The Sauce

4 tbsp. brown sugar
2 tbsp. white vinegar
2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup catsup
1/4 cup finely chopped onion

Handmade Soap & Lotion Bars http://www.therusticcottagebath.com

The Rustic Cottage Blog http://therusticcottage.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

britchickny
True Blue Farmgirl

1048 Posts

Angie
Port Orange Florida
1048 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2009 :  02:57:28 AM  Show Profile
Although I have never tried this, I imagine it is very good. My friend Karen says her mother in law would hard boil two eggs, peel them and then lay them end to end in the meatloaf mix before you bake it. Then when you slice to serve, everyone gets a slice of hard-boiled egg in their meatloaf.

ANGIE
"Mercy, peace and love be yours in abundance" JUDE 1:2

http://www.pinkroomponderings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2009 :  06:53:49 AM  Show Profile
I use 1/2 deer meat. Then about the same ingredients as everyone else. When I am fixing meatloaf for company, I lay a whole dill pickles end to end down the center (like Angie's boiled egg) Every slice has a slice of pickle.
Go to Top of Page

Diane B Carter
True Blue Farmgirl

1270 Posts

Diane
Blasdell N.Y.
USA
1270 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2009 :  11:57:09 AM  Show Profile
I add Salsa and some breadcrumbs and an egg, thats it and it's good. I may try the dill pickle next time my DH loves them. I'll put a sweet one on the other side.

Hope all your days are Sunnydays.
dianebcarterhotmailcom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Maryjane Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

2195 Posts

Maryjane
CA
USA
2195 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2009 :  12:18:27 PM  Show Profile
One thing that I found that makes my meatloaf yummy, is adding a package of onion soup mix!

Hugs,
Maryjane Lee

Farmgirl #44
Sisters on the Fly #595

http://thebeehivecottage.blogspot.com

http://beehivecottage.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

sjs
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Stephanie
Oakland CA
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2009 :  1:51:25 PM  Show Profile  Send sjs an AOL message  Send sjs a Yahoo! Message
I haven't made meatloaf in years, but my grandma used to use ground chuck, corn flakes, and different ground up veggies. It was divine...

--------------------
Learning to live is learning to let go.

Visit my food blog! http://www.wasabimon.com - natural cooking to live for.
Go to Top of Page

nampafarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

494 Posts

Kim
Nampa ID
USA
494 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2009 :  3:21:52 PM  Show Profile
I use pretty much the same ingreds the rest of you are using as I change it up depending on what I have and what sounds good,. I do put tomato paste over the top for the last 10-15 minutes though.

Kim
Farmgirl Sister # 302
Go to Top of Page

olive610
Farmgirl in Training

40 Posts

Mary-Alice
Missouri City TX
USA
40 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2009 :  4:44:08 PM  Show Profile
This is the best meatloaf I have ever eaten. It is actually a Weight Watcher recipe but sure does not taste like it. I have served this when we have company and they just love it. My husband tells me never to make anything but this recipe.

Meatloaf with Caramelized Onions and Mushrooms (Weight Watchers)
Cook time: Approx. 1 hour
Serves 6

2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil

1 large onion, chopped

3 garlic cloves, minced

2 teaspoons sugar

½ pound fresh mushrooms, sliced

1 and 1/2 pounds ground lean beef (7% fat or less)

1 cup tomato sauce

1/2 cup plain dried bread crumbs

2 eggs whites, lightly beaten

1 teaspoon dried basil

1 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper

1. Preheat the oven to 350 ( I increased heat to 375) degrees. Spray a large rimmed baking sheet with nonstick spray.

2. Meanwhile, heat 1 teaspoon of the oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion, garlic and sugar: cook, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl. Heat the remaining 1 teaspoon oil in the same skillet. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally until browned about 6 – 7 minutes. Add to the bowl with the onion: let cool 5 minutes.

3. Mix in the beef, 1/2 cup of the tomato sauce, the bread crumbs. egg whites, basil, salt, and pepper until well combined.

4. Transfer the mixture to the baking sheet and form into a 4 inch wide by 9 inch long loaf. Spread the remaining 1/2 cup tomato sauce over the top. Bake until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the center of the loaf registers 160 degrees, about 40 – 55 minutes. Transfer the meatloaf to a cutting board and let stand about 10 minutes. Cut into 6 slices.

Per serving (1 slice): 243 Cal, 8 g Fat, 3 g Sat Fat, 1 g Trans Fat, 62 mg Chol, 783 Sod, 16 g Carb, 2 g Fib, 28 g Prot, 49 mg Calc. Points value: 5

It keeps in the fridge for up to 3 days or freeze up to 2 months.

"Life is a great big canvas, and you should throw all the paint on it you can." Danny Kaye
Go to Top of Page

simone947
Farmgirl in Training

34 Posts

sarah
peru NY
34 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2009 :  5:40:34 PM  Show Profile
meatloaf is also my fail-safe dinner, if i get home late it is quick and easy and usually pleases the man in the house. i never seem to make it the same way twice but it usually involves ground venison, 2 eggs, a couple of slices of torn up bread, ground beef, shredded cheddar cheese, worchestshire sauce, ketchup and bacon on the top. its even better the next day for lunch.
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2009 :  6:29:19 PM  Show Profile
My easy meatloaf recipe:

1 pound ground turkey or beef
1 egg
3/4 package crackers of your choice, crunched into crumbs with a rolling pin
1/8 cup Italian bread crumbs
2/3 jar of salsa, mild or hot it is up to you...I use Paul Newmans Peach Salsa

Mix all togehter until it is a substance thick enough to form a loaf, but not too dry or too wet. You can adjust your ingredients to make this happen.

Put into a greased loaf pan
Squirt ketchup over top of mixture and sprinkle with parmesan cheese
Bake 1 hour @ 350.

This is easy because salsa includes onion, pepper,tomato sauce and makes it quicker and spicier.....

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13

Edited by - jpbluesky on Mar 22 2009 6:31:48 PM
Go to Top of Page

lupinelady99
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Lisa
Massena New York
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2009 :  2:23:47 PM  Show Profile  Send lupinelady99 an ICQ Message  Click to see lupinelady99's MSN Messenger address
slightly off topic...but similar...has anyone every heard of using cream cheese in meatballs? ran into someone talking about it one day and it sounded interesting but i haven't made any to try it yet.

http://www.myspace.com/lupinelady99
Go to Top of Page

KayB
True Blue Farmgirl

540 Posts

Kay
Del City Oklahoma
USA
540 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2009 :  2:50:57 PM  Show Profile
So funny! I'm making meatloaf tonight! I use 1 pound of ground turkey and 1 pound of lean ground beef. Then I use the onion soup mix recipe. I tried doing it my mother's way, but it turns out with no flavor and greasy, so I don't know what I did wrong.

Life's a dance you learn as you go
Go to Top of Page

Tin Lizzie
True Blue Farmgirl

91 Posts

Tx
USA
91 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2009 :  3:21:53 PM  Show Profile
we had meatloaf last night! here is how I make mine:

take loaf pan...cover bottom with a thin layer of brown sugar. then take ketchup and pour over that...enough to cover brown sugar. I take a pound of lean ground beef...mix in 1 egg, salt, lots of coarse ground black pepper, basil, minced garlic, about 1/4-1/2 cup finely chopped onion, some chopped roasted red bell pepper, bread crumbs and some more ketchup. Mix it up until it "looks right" then pour into pan and bake at 350 for about an hour.
Go to Top of Page

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2009 :  07:27:06 AM  Show Profile
I use ground beef, bread crumbs, ketchup, dried onions, garlic powder, one egg, and a little milk. This is the only recipe I have tried so far that hubby likes.
-Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

City_Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

509 Posts

Christina
Omaha Nebraska
USA
509 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2009 :  07:48:20 AM  Show Profile
I make a couple different meatloafs.
One is just my basic loaf with venison and pork for the meats. A bit of worshire, salt, pepper, chopped shallots, chopped fresh parsley, a beaten egg, a little milk and some cornflake crumbs.
The next one is a greek one that really ends up turning out sorta like gyro-flavored meat I use lamb or a lamb/pork combo for that one. I use Cavender's All Purpose Greek Seasoning (I know it is filled with extra stuff but I love it!) a beaten egg and some bread crumbs. Then the last few minutes of baking time I put feta cheese on it.
Then one of my favorites is a german-style one that has sauerkraut in it. It uses either ground beef, venison or a combo of the two. milk, 2eggs beaten, brown sugar, spicy brown mustard, a little chopped onion, sauerkraut and for the binding I either tear up 3 slices of pumpernickle bread or toast them off and crumble them. Maybe I will make that for dinner tonight before I go to work!

Christina
Farmgirl Sister #195
City Chick & Friends Chapter Mama
http://justacitychick.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2009 :  08:50:18 AM  Show Profile
My hubby loves meatloaf. I had not made it in years since I don't eat beef. But recently I started buying grass-fed from a friend. I also have sausage from our own pigs. So since he's been home these last few months, I have made meatloaf 3 times. The other day I used a lb. of burger and 1/2 lb. of sausage, onion, grated carrot, egg, bread crumbs, w. sauce, bbq sauce, homemade ketchup, salt, pepper. Put ketchup on top. We make sandwiches with leftovers.

All these different ways are so neat. I'll have to try it with some of these other ingredients next.

Kris

Turn your face to the sun and the shadows fall behind you. Maori proverb
Go to Top of Page

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2009 :  12:36:54 AM  Show Profile
My meatloaf recipe:

Meat Loaf

For Meat Loaf
2 lbs ground beef
2 cloves minced garlic
1 onion, diced
1 green pepper, diced
1 rib celery, diced
1 c whole wheat bread crumbs
2 eggs
1 t thyme
Salt and pepper to taste
1 c water

For Glaze
1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
Molasses
Worcestershire sauce
Dijon mustard

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine all ingredients for meat loaf in a large mixing bowl and mix until incorporated. Mix glaze ingredients together and pour over top. Bake uncovered in a casserole dish for 1.5 hours.

It's my two-year-old son's absolute favorite food in the whole wide world, esp. since I serve it with mashed potatoes, his other favorite food in the whole wide world.

Go to Top of Page

suethequilter
Farmgirl in Training

36 Posts

susan
jackson michigan
USA
36 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2009 :  05:42:25 AM  Show Profile
I use dried bread crumbs, egg, onion, finley diced green pepper and then I mix together katsup,a pinch of brown sugar and horseradish. I make enough of the katsup mix to put into the meat loaf mix and have some left over to spread on top. You can start out with just a small bit of horseradish, but we like about 1/4 cup.

life is good
Farmgirl#172
Go to Top of Page

chessie
True Blue Farmgirl

403 Posts

Karen
Vista CA
USA
403 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2009 :  08:33:13 AM  Show Profile
Chessie’s “Scarborough Faire Herbs” Turkey Meatloaf

Preheat oven to 375 degrees if using metal loaf pans or 350 degrees if using glass

~Sauté’ the following CHOPPED vegetables in 2 Tablespoons of Olive oil
1 large Onion
4 stalks celery
1 large red bell pepper
6 large button mushrooms
4 large garlic cloves
~Cool & add in ½ to ¾ cup chopped fresh herbs – I use the herbs of the song Scarborough Faire; Parsley, Sage (I grow & use a local native called Cleveland Sage), Rosemary and Thyme.
~In a large bowl mix together 2 pounds Organic lean ground turkey, & 4 slices of stale bread crumbled (I use heals). If mixture is dry, I use ¼ cup milk and/or chicken stock, optional, to soften.
~ Mix in 2 beaten large eggs and the cooled veggie/herb mix.
~Season with ½ teaspoon each freshly ground pepper, sea salt and sugar. (I think the sugar helps brighten the veggie flavors but you can omit…) or more to taste.
~ Put into two loaf pans & top with enough ketchup and brown sugar to cover.
~Bake for 1 – 1 ½ hours ‘til an instant read thermometer inserted in center of loaf reads 165 degrees.

www.edgehillherbfarm.com "where the name is bigger than the farm, but no one seems to mind"
blog http://edgehillherbfarmer.spaces.live.com/default.aspx?wa=wsignin1.0
happy farmgirl #89
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic What do you put in your meatloaf? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page