Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Do away with ?....'In God we trust'
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Do away with ?....'In God we trust' Next Topic  

kpaints
True Blue Farmgirl

1564 Posts

karen
cheney wa
1564 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2009 :  12:26:19 PM  Show Profile  Send kpaints an AOL message
There is a poll on NBC's website so you can vote on your opinion about keeping 'In God we trust on our currency. Vote if you like or not. Thanks www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10103521/

Find your joy and live it. http://cheneybaglady.blogspot.com/http://www.kpaints.etsy.com FG #377

Edited by - kpaints on Mar 16 2009 09:27:36 AM

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2009 :  1:53:19 PM  Show Profile
thanks hon! very interesting!

My soul magnifies the Lord, And my spirit rejoices in God my Savior. Luke 1:46,47
www.beequilting.blogspot.com
http://beemoosie-picture-diary.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2009 :  4:53:00 PM  Show Profile
Just put my vote in. Thanks for bringing this up, Karen.

Kris

Turn your face to the sun and the shadows fall behind you. Maori proverb
Go to Top of Page

Diane B Carter
True Blue Farmgirl

1270 Posts

Diane
Blasdell N.Y.
USA
1270 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2009 :  09:34:26 AM  Show Profile
I just voted thank-you for sharing that. We so need to put God back in our lives.

Hope all your days are Sunnydays.
dianebcarterhotmailcom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2009 :  11:17:16 AM  Show Profile
I voted too! Thanks for sharing the link.

Handmade Soap & Lotion Bars http://www.therusticcottagebath.com

The Rustic Cottage Blog http://therusticcottage.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2009 :  11:42:19 AM  Show Profile
These are the two choices the quiz gives you:

"Yes. It's a violation of the principle of separation of church and state."

"No. The motto has historical and patriotic significance and does nothing to establish a state religion."

I was all set to vote "Yes", because in my mind putting "In God we trust" on our currency leads to the cynical connotation that money IS our god.
But on the other hand, I don't think the phrase does anything to establish a state religion (unless you're talking about worshipping money, and I don't think that's what the makers of the quiz are getting at). Now I'm all mixed up again!
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2309 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2309 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2009 :  12:26:38 PM  Show Profile
I voted yes. Two main reasons:
One of the reasons our country was founded was freedom of religion, meaning citizens could choose their own religion and not have it mandated by the government as it is in some other countries, or to choose not to have a religion.
Our country has many citizens with religions other than Christianity; not all of them refer to their chosen Supreme Being as God.
I also believe in keeping religion and money separate.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Princess
True Blue Farmgirl

1075 Posts

Jodi
Washington
USA
1075 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2009 :  12:58:36 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for sharing this link! I voted no, as it does "nothing to establish a state religion"... it goes back to the founding of our country...our founders were seeking religious freedom (for all, yes), and they (were Christian) believed God gave them the country (a belief I do personally embrace)... For me, though...my vote...it's primarily historical and patriotic, versus political and religious.

~Jodi

"Women are like teabags...you never know how strong they are until they get into hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2009 :  1:41:14 PM  Show Profile
Yeah, I get the argument that not everyone chooses to worship "God" in the Judeo-Christian sense. But the way the quiz is set up leads me to believe that this is part of that whole currently popular reactionary mindset that wants to wipe out any public acknowledgement of religion in general, and Christianity in particular (as the traditionally predominant religion throughout the formative years of our country). I'm not down with that. I think it's an overreaching interpretation of the Constitution: we are guaranteed freedom OF religion, not freedom FROM religion. And in this case, the phrase is a historical reminder of our country's religious and cultural past.

So I'm going to vote against my own first instincts here and say "No".
Go to Top of Page

laluna
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

New York
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2009 :  2:39:11 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by StitchinWitch

I voted yes. Two main reasons:
One of the reasons our country was founded was freedom of religion, meaning citizens could choose their own religion and not have it mandated by the government as it is in some other countries, or to choose not to have a religion.
Our country has many citizens with religions other than Christianity; not all of them refer to their chosen Supreme Being as God.
I also believe in keeping religion and money separate

quote:
Yeah, I get the argument that not everyone chooses to worship "God" in the Judeo-Christian sense. But the way the quiz is set up leads me to believe that this is part of that whole currently popular reactionary mindset that wants to wipe out any public acknowledgement of religion in general, and Christianity in particular (as the traditionally predominant religion throughout the formative years of our country). I'm not down with that. I think it's an overreaching interpretation of the Constitution: we are guaranteed freedom OF religion, not freedom FROM religion. And in this case, the phrase is a historical reminder of our country's religious and cultural past.

So I'm going to vote against my own first instincts here and say "No".

Judith, I agree with you completely, which is why I also voted "Yes." My disagreement with your argument, Amie, is that while the phrase is an historical reminder, it's not our country's "present," and I really think if we're going to continue to be an inclusive society, one which is seeing more and more different cultures and religions represented, we need to be sure our symbols do the same.

"I believe in God, only I spell it Nature." -- Frank Lloyd Wright

Edited by - laluna on Mar 16 2009 2:40:03 PM
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2009 :  08:30:00 AM  Show Profile
I tend to resist changing things just to keep up with the times. I think there's no harm in having symbols around that remind us of the past more than the present.

But I would be definitely in support of removing the phrase "under God" from the Pledge of Allegiance. The Pledge is something that requires active participation, and it's not right to mix declaring loyalty to our country with adherence to a specific religion. If all citizens can't say it with sincerity, it isn't inclusive enough to be our pledge.
Go to Top of Page

Maryjane Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

2195 Posts

Maryjane
CA
USA
2195 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2009 :  12:21:02 PM  Show Profile
Thank you for the link!

Hugs,
Maryjane Lee

Farmgirl #44
Sisters on the Fly #595

http://thebeehivecottage.blogspot.com

http://beehivecottage.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

crafter
True Blue Farmgirl

2313 Posts

lori
Fort Atkinson Wisconsin
USA
2313 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2009 :  12:25:06 PM  Show Profile
I voted NO!
I will always live by "In God We Trust"

Lori

Thank GOD I'm a Country Girl!
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Do away with ?....'In God we trust' Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page