idsweetie72
True Blue Farmgirl

129 Posts

Sandra
New Meadows idaho
USA
129 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2009 :  6:56:30 PM  Show Profile
So today was the day to vaccinate my new goats. (I've had the 3 of them for over a month now). Had everything ready- eppy in hand, "just in case". The first two went like a breeze- no problems at all. Then my Seba- First shot went ok- no immediate reaction- then the second shot- I stood around for about 10 minutes watching them and Seba started to "act funny", so I gave her the eppy shot- it was only then that I noticed the vet had given me 3 doses of eppy for KIDS!! For BABY goats!! Here I am with a 120lb full grown adult with only 1/2 of her dose on hand, (after all three shots!) It was touch and go for 2 hours- she was actually on the ground, on her side basically in convulsions while all I could do was try to hold her and keep her calm. (The nearest vet is 37 miles away- if he's in)-
I finally couldn't handle it anymore after 1 1/2 hours on my knees trying to keep myself calm and let her know that I was there- so I ran into the house to grab hubby- and when we came back to the pen- she was standing up- wobbly- but standing! I was so happy I cried. And for the rest of the day I just did chores around the pen to keep an eye on her- and she is perfectly ok now- (not sure what to do about the vet- when I called today he wasn't in-)

Mazy Day Farm

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2009 :  7:05:53 PM  Show Profile
Oh my goodness! What a day you've had. I am so glad she's ok. I bet you hardly sat down all day. That's why I don't do that. What kind of vacs did you give them? And what kind are they?

Kris

Turn your face to the sun and the shadows fall behind you. Maori proverb
Go to Top of Page

southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2009 :  04:47:55 AM  Show Profile
Sandra, I hope Seba is still doing well. Having farm animals sometimes can come with alot of heartaches when you can't save one. I just lost my first Nigerian goat baby born to a first time mom. It hurts. But I am so happy you had a better outcome.

"A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes"==Cinderella
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2009 :  8:42:13 PM  Show Profile
I'm SOOO glad your goatie-girl is doing better. It's always so SCARY when things like that go wrong. I've never had a problem with a vaccine, but then, I don't vaccinate my adult animals every single year either. I only do it every COUPLE of years. (though all of my babies get the appropriate vaccines at the proper ages)

Have you spoken to a vet about her reaction? She may have problems again in the future. I know *I* have issues with meds, it would be interesting to know if ANIMALS can have chronic allergies and/or adverse reactions to medications as well.... hmmm......

Please let us know if you find out. I know I'D appreciate knowing what you find out! ~~~ Hugs to you and your girl ~~~ Tracy

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Playing doc all day Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page