LauriP
True Blue Farmgirl

239 Posts

Laurianne
Hertford North Carolina
USA
239 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2009 :  2:18:44 PM  Show Profile
>> Ok, this may sound like a dumb question..

But I'm wondering if anyone grows blueberries in their garden. I've had wild plants growing in another place we owned, but I was always too late getting to the berries. Deer, and birds got to 'em before Idid.

Has anyone grown domestic berry plants before? I know the wild ones grow like wildfire, kinda like wild blackberries. But I haven't read much on domestic blueberries. So, if any of you have experience growing these, let me know. We have a great space out by one of our sheds where noah cleared off some skinny/half dead pine trees, and some hardwoods. Now it looks empty and Needs Something.

Any suggestions would be great!

I'm off to look at some fabric ideas at Paducah's -- gotta get a blouse done asap! yikes!

Laurianne

milkmaid
True Blue Farmgirl

187 Posts

Heather
Higginsville Missouri
USA
187 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2009 :  2:39:59 PM  Show Profile
We have highbush blueberries they do very well for us..They need a high acid soil so add peat moss when you plant them once they get setablished they produce quite well.. You can buy potted plants from a nursery.
Heather

http://goodfarm.blogspot.com/

Mother to five awesome kids, wife of 17 years and milk maid to two beautiful cows. Living the good life!!!
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2009 :  3:05:57 PM  Show Profile
I have 9 blueberry bushes in my fenced garden just for that reason- the deer. I will probably put bird netting over them this year when they produce, so the birds don't eat them all. Heather is right they like a high acid soil, we have put sawdust around them before and also the pineshavings from the floor of the chicken coop. Do make sure they get a lot of sun, and also you need 2 different varieties to polinate each other.

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2009 :  7:40:58 PM  Show Profile
I try blueberries every year and never have had luck with them. I planted 12 bushes a few years ago in a row in the garden and lost every one of them. I kept them watered and had the good peat and pine straw mulch. I just cannot grow them .My neighbor up the road has lots of bushes and they sell them. Sometimes we barter which is great. And theirs are so good. So I guess I'll just get mine from them.

I hope you have better luck with yours. Planting them where there were pine trees seems like a good idea.

Kris

Turn your face to the sun and the shadows fall behind you. Maori proverb
Go to Top of Page

StasiaSpins
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

Stasia
Augusta (Eau Claire) WI
USA
78 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2009 :  10:31:06 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Ms.Lilly

...you need 2 different varieties to polinate each other.

Do you need two different varieties, or just two bushes? I just got two bushes to plant, because they said you needed two for pollination... but they didn't say two different types (nor did they offer different types). Thanks!

http://YarnAndABarn.blogspot.com
http://www.TuppinzFarm.com
Heritage Sheep ~ Goats ~ Donkeys ~ Poultry
Spinning ~ Knitting ~ Weaving ~ Quilting ~ Crocheting
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2009 :  07:28:01 AM  Show Profile
Yes, it is 2 different varieties.

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2009 :  09:02:27 AM  Show Profile
Blueberries are kinda like Rhododendrons, they have a shallow root base. They like to stay moist but not soaked - that's why sawdust or mulch is good around the base. If you have young plants, only a couple years old - the first year you should strip the blossoms, this way the plant puts all of it's energy into growth, not berries. Once you have a matured plant, they like to be pruned in the early spring - here in Oregon that is any time after President's day weekend. Prune anything that has been damaged from the winter and clean out the middle of little branches, etc. No one wants to pick berries that are stuck in the middle and get scratched up. As I was taught as a kid (we had a blueberry farm) prune like they are your neighbor's plants. If pruned well and fertilized, with plenty of sun, you should get nice size berries. My favorites are early blues, blue crop and Elizabeths.

Anne in Portland, OR

"Weeds are flowers too, once you get to know them" Eyeore from Winnie the Pooh
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2009 :  09:20:00 AM  Show Profile
I'm getting ready for my 3rd or 4th attempt at raising blue berries. The first time I planted them they did wonderful and after a couple of years had tons of berries. Then the bushes started dying back. Each year the plants were getting smaller and smaller. So I moved what was left of the bushes and added a few more and they never did produce much, then they died. I have ordered 6 plants form Miller Nursery catalog. Moving to a new location. Last week on PBS, OK State U had a program on how to plant blueberries. The first thing they said is that you have to start preparing your soil 6 months to a year before planting. I have 6 days to 2 weeks to get ready. I put on some acid (forgot it's name) from the garden center. Then we got a good rain so now I'll go out and till it in again. They said to put a gallon or so of wet peat moss in the hole before planting. The plants need 1-2 inches of water every week. So I am going to lay soaker hoses around the plants. Then mulch with high acid mulch like pine bark and ground up oak leaves.

This will be the last time I do this. Will just buy from the awful grocery store. I had the same problem with rubarb. Can't get it to live. No one eats it but me. I buy it frozen from the store.

Good luck Laurianne. Keep us posted.

Belle
Go to Top of Page

LauriP
True Blue Farmgirl

239 Posts

Laurianne
Hertford North Carolina
USA
239 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2009 :  11:17:09 AM  Show Profile
>> Ohh..ya'll are jus' too wonderful!! <<

All these great suggestions just make me wanna go write a check to the catalog company...But..not that fast!!

I wasn't sure if the plants needed as much, if not more acidity as they do..like the hydrangea we have, it's plopped right under the pine trees, so it bloomed all summer like there was no tomorrow! Now that I've read all ya'lls suggestion, I think it's a good idea to let the soil where I'm thinkin' about planting, well, I'll see how much pine mulch noah left all around that site. Then I'll probably go over where we still have some pines, throw a ton (well, my largest glob of pine mulch, not Exactly a Ton.lol) of the mulch as thickly as I can, then probably order the plants from Millers. They seem to have the best prices.

The other thing that I'm thinking of trying, is digging some of the mulch that's along our dirt road..the county just came along last week an' cut the pine trees back, so there is an even deeper amount of mulch. An' since it's just Sitting Around..well, Waste Not, Want Not!! Besides, if somebody asks what I'm doin' I'll just say I'm helping the environment! LOL!

I'll let ya'll know how this little experiment works out. I'm excited about tryin' the plants..mainly cause I'm a tightwad, an' don't like payin' an arm and a leg for the frozen berries. Ha!

Laurianne
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2009 :  6:48:25 PM  Show Profile
My DIL just told me that she buys blueberries all the time and eats a handful on her cereal every morning. You know, trying to do the healthy thing. She said that the container of blue berries was a 2 cup container. now it is a 1 cup container for the same price. More reason to do what we can to get our own plants growing. I keep telling everyone that it is not going to be the availability of food that is a problem, it is going to be the price.

I just received confirmation that my black berries and raspberries have been shipped. I'm glad our cold spell is over. It is back to the garden. Wonder if I'll ever get last falls leaves raked up?
Go to Top of Page

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2009 :  10:30:15 AM  Show Profile
Mt neighbor has bluberry bushes and he didnt want to pick them...so I did...they were great. He said I can do the same this year. Another neighbor planted some bushes in LARGE pots. I read that they take 2-3 yrs to mature. We have blackberries...Cant wait until they are ready this year...I made alot of different desserts with what I picked.
Deborah

we have moved to our farm...and love it
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2009 :  06:45:58 AM  Show Profile
Deborah -

Depending on the age of the plant when purchased, usually they are only a year old, yes it takes 2 to 3 years before they start to produce. That is why it is suggested to strip blossoms the first year or so to help the plant mature and grow and not try to produce berries. There are varities now that are developed just for pots, kinda minutature version, that do quite well.

Anne in Portland, OR

Go to Top of Page

SheilaC
True Blue Farmgirl

1948 Posts

Sheila
Vermont
USA
1948 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2009 :  06:52:18 AM  Show Profile
So why do you need at least 2 different varieties? just wondering. . .
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2009 :  08:02:51 AM  Show Profile
For cross pollination. Apricots are the same way. I don't know what would happen if you don't have 2. The plants I have ordered is a collection of 6 different varieties.
Go to Top of Page

LauriP
True Blue Farmgirl

239 Posts

Laurianne
Hertford North Carolina
USA
239 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2009 :  1:31:06 PM  Show Profile
>> << All the organic books I've read about growing blueberries say to plant 2 varieties. I'm still not sure 'bout ordering plants, 'cause I also have a neighborhood nursery just down the road. I think this weekend I'll go over & see if they have blueberries available. If not, then I'll get an order out the first of next week.

The wild flowering trees and shrubs around us are giving me the heebie-jeebies to Get Planting!! -- I've got cosmos coming up in seedling pots, and some hollyhocks, too. Not sure about some nasturtiums, tho. Maybe they just wanna wait a while to get me irritated...LOL!

Laurianne
Go to Top of Page

LoraFLeming
Farmgirl in Training

30 Posts

Lora
Onalaska WI
USA
30 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2009 :  6:00:48 PM  Show Profile
I just ordered a collection of three varieties ... I've never tried blueberries before! Now I am so excited to get going ... my daughter has a huge pine at her house, I'm sure she won't mind if I go rake needles from under it : )

http://loralynn7.blogspot.com/
Changing the world one card at a time.
www.Sendoutcards.com/Lora

Edited by - LoraFLeming on Mar 22 2009 6:07:35 PM
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2009 :  6:15:19 PM  Show Profile
We have a large blueberry bush that we have had for years, but have not cultivated properly. This year we are trying to make it come to life. Mostly it has been to feed the birds. But we cut some big shade trees, brought more sun to the yard, and want to get berries for us too. They are relatively easy to grow in the south, and NC would be perfect because you still get the cool weather at night all summer. The blueberry farms we go to here in north Florida do not have border plants, and the rows are nice and easy for picking. They need total sun. And the bees find them, even if there are not draw plants nearby. I hope you have success, and I hope we do too!

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

LoraFLeming
Farmgirl in Training

30 Posts

Lora
Onalaska WI
USA
30 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2009 :  6:19:20 PM  Show Profile
Stasia,
I just noticed you live in Augusta! I grew up in Eau Claire and had some friends in Augusta ... my husband's grandparents had a cottage there also! Small world ...

http://loralynn7.blogspot.com/
Changing the world one card at a time.
www.Sendoutcards.com/Lora
Go to Top of Page

LisaLu
True Blue Farmgirl

126 Posts

Lisa
Wildomar Ca
USA
126 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2009 :  7:18:15 PM  Show Profile
I have tried to grow blueberries for the last 3 yrs, and now I know why they won't produce. I had to add a mix to our clay soil, I think it was the same as what you use on azaleas. I now have a few flowers, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I have 3 different types, and they are heat tolerant. One is called "Sunshine", and I can't remember the others.
Hope that helps out!
LisaLu

Happiness is homemade...
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2009 :  07:08:39 AM  Show Profile
I receivecd my blue berry bushes on Friday. They were shipped in 2 packages. I had ordered a collection of 6 bushes. Well, yesterday I went out to plant them and first thing, I discovered that the area that I had planned to put them was not big enough for the recomended spacing. So I thought I would have to put 2 of them somewhere other than the row. THEN I opened the packages and realized they had double shipped my order. I had 12 plants!!! So I had to rethink my plan for planting. I had already planted my raspberries but now I'll have to move them. I have room to move them since I cannot plant my black berries in the same garden. I got all my blue berries planted and today I'll move the raspberries. By they way, I ordered 6 plants and they sent me 9! My 6 blackberries are still setting in a bucket of water.
Go to Top of Page

julibee
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

Julie
Rapid City SD
USA
1 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2009 :  06:59:08 AM  Show Profile
Blueberries in containers? I had no luck with blueberries in the ground but thought I could control the acid mix in a large container. anyone have any luck with the dwarf varieties?
Julibee
Go to Top of Page

Suzan
True Blue Farmgirl

659 Posts

suzanne
duncannon pa
USA
659 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2009 :  09:57:16 AM  Show Profile
Julie, No, but I was thinking about trying this one...
http://springhillnursery.com/top-hat-blueberries-plants-only-/p/03699/
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2009 :  08:11:54 AM  Show Profile
I bought 2 blueberry bushes last year and planted them in front of my house. I've heard that they make pretty foundation bushes, and the berries would be great too. My house fronts north, so I'm concerned about them getting enough sun. Hollyhocks and other sun-loving flowers seem to do well, and the blueberry bushes have survived the winter just fine.

My question is about the berries. When I bought the plants last spring, they were in flower. I did not strip the blossoms and berries formed. They were a good size and plenty blue, but they were quite tart, right up to the point of being overripe.

Do you think this was just because it was their first year, or do you think they don't get enough sun? I'm wondering whether I should plan to move them this year or give them time to grow.
Go to Top of Page

LauriP
True Blue Farmgirl

239 Posts

Laurianne
Hertford North Carolina
USA
239 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2009 :  10:25:45 AM  Show Profile
>> I'm waiting for the local nursery to get their plants set outside from the greenhouse << It's driving me nuts, 'cause I don't like to wait a lot of times...sigh...

I'm rethinking the location of the plants, as I've got a spot with a ton of pine mulch...loads of sun..But --

3 days ago noah yelled at me from the kitchen.."Hey Ma!! -- you just missed the Deer.."

5....Five of them in the yard..so now, the thot in my little head is whether or not to set the plants over in the far corner of the yard, where Said Deer like to meander around in..Or ..closer to the house, in a pretty sunny flower bed?? Ack..my head's spinning..

But it's better than paying $4.99 for a quart of berries at the store...sigh...

~~ Laurianne ~~
Go to Top of Page

KayB
True Blue Farmgirl

540 Posts

Kay
Del City Oklahoma
USA
540 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2009 :  1:44:56 PM  Show Profile
We want to plant some berry bushes out back behind our privacy fence. That is facing south and there are a couple of trees that will shade them most of the day. Will that be a problem? Also, what about blackberry bushes? Do you also need 2 varieties of those?

Life's a dance you learn as you go
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2009 :  07:41:38 AM  Show Profile
Amie - what variety are your berries? Some blueberries are tart, depending on the variety. Some are high producers, with thick skins, others have thin skins and are very sweet. I have an early blue and and a blue ray, both are a type of upright plant and have the thin skin and are sweet.

Anne in Portland, OR

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Garden Gate: Previous Topic Blueberries Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page