Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Farmgirls in the strangest places!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Farmgirls in the strangest places! Next Topic  

Mrs Tiggywinkle
Farmgirl in Training

36 Posts

Sara
Spokane WA
USA
36 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2006 :  9:28:36 PM  Show Profile
It seems like since I became an "official" farmgirl, I'm running into other farmgirls in the weirdest places. Most of my family & friends could be classified as farmgirls (or wannabes, like me) but get this... (all this in the last wk)
*I'm at Nordstrom having a makeover (!) and it turns out that the woman doing my makeup (who is drop-dead gorgeous, BTW) lives on a horse ranch & is looking for organic food bars for her mountain biking hubby. And got so excited about MJF that I wrote down the www for her & she was absolutely thrilled.
*I'm working w/a computer client (bookkeeper) (I do a bit of computer work still) and it turns out she's running an estate sale business on the side, & is thrilled to learn about MJF, as she runs into lots of vintage/antique things. Copied down the www again...
*Today, dh is working w/a client in our home office on a finances/computers project & she's all excited when he tells her about MJF, so there I am showing her my book & copying it down again so she can get tips for her first garden.
Is it just me, or are there farmgirls cropping up all over? We may have a revolution on our hands...
Love, Sara

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

jenny louise
True Blue Farmgirl

166 Posts

jennifer
cass city MI
USA
166 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2006 :  01:59:43 AM  Show Profile
That is neat,Sara. You are excited about it, and opportunities that didn't seem so before; now do. Spreadin' the gospel, eh? Folks keep wanting to simplify and get back to the good heart of living in so many ways, just to help cope with the frazzle of the world. Jenny in MI
Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2006 :  10:53:41 AM  Show Profile
farmgirl are taking over the world!!!!
A few weeks ago I went the eye doctor, a new eye doctor. And the lovely lady who was walking me over to get new glasses turned around and said to me "Sqrl?" I took a step back and she was our very own Bess here on the forum. It's a small world.

Blessed Be
www.sqrlbee.com www.sisterhood.sqrlbee.com

Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2006 :  11:04:29 AM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
It IS a frazzling world out there!

My new neighbor - a newlywed - has asked me to help her create a small garden and teach her how to bake bread. She bought a bread machine but hated it - so now she wants to do it all by hand! (her hubby thinks she's nuts - he says they have all the fresh veggies they could possibly want from his dad's huge garden.) I say there is nothing nicer than going outside on a warm day, picking a tomato or two for dinner, some beans or pulling some carrots. There's just something so special about that moment.

Nothing more theraputic than kneading bread. Hubby driving you nuts? Work that dough a little harder. Bad day? You can punch the dough. The dough doesn't care, it still becomes great bread.
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2006 :  11:06:02 AM  Show Profile
sara . i carry around some little 'business-cards' with maryjanes web-site info on it to give to new friends that i start chatting with ... cuz' the conversation always seems to take a path to maryjane' farm at some point! xo

p.s. i usually have one or two of her magazines and/or her book in my car too .. in case it is parked close enough to run get for 'show and tell'.

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

Judes
True Blue Farmgirl

156 Posts

Jude
OH
USA
156 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2006 :  11:25:01 AM  Show Profile  Send Judes a Yahoo! Message
Funny thing that I have noticed, and mind you...this may be a city thing...but when I tell women around here about the Farmgirls they kinda go "um, whatever judy". But the MEN I talk to about it think it's fantastic! They want to know more, and ask questions about whether or not I've had a chance to meet any other farmgirls yet, if we plan to visit each other, what parts of the country, world, earth we're all from, how it got started etc. My husband asked last night if boys are allowed to talk to the farmgirls! He said that he has been wondering about that. So I asked him if he'd like to say something, and he said "no, no right now...but what if you're sick or something and I want to say something on behalf of you" Aw. I think they are endeared by the community we all have going. My mailbox has had more activity in these last few months than it has in years. I keep recieving these wonderful packages and opening them up & saying "look, honey! It's from a farmgirl!" I think they want in! My DH has his heart set on visiting MJF with me & going to Pay Dirt Farm School (we have to save some money first).

http://schoolstreet.typepad.com
www.jac.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2006 :  12:56:02 PM  Show Profile
Hey Judes I feel the same way , my mail box has been my favorite place to visit lately. I've never gotten so much goodness in the mail ever. I've also been having so much fun making packages and sending them out. I love having girlfriends all over, speading farm girl love.

Blessed Be
www.sqrlbee.com www.sisterhood.sqrlbee.com

Go to Top of Page

Rebekka Mae
True Blue Farmgirl

965 Posts

Rebekka
Moscow ID
USA
965 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2006 :  1:18:36 PM  Show Profile
I thought I was the only one blabbing on about the farm to anyone I meet who has two minutes. I am glad to hear that you all are as well! Jude- your hubby sounds like a sweetie, I hope he does drop us an email now and then, he can start a farmboys tread! The hubbies would love it and would be much more apt to support farm fair travels if they knew a few farmboys to meet up with here. I am going out to the farm today to get some things and I can't wait (my hubby just loves to go and I always have to pry him away from Lucas and Emil!)The sun is shining and the skies are blue- I just wish you were all coming with us!!!
As for farmgirl mail I have such a stash of treasures (mail art, seeds, little handmades, buttons, etc)- the mailman here has been busy bringing i all up to the door and don't I feel like a princess when a newcard or package shows up. The people at the post office think it is so funny when I bring in farmgirl packages (decorated of course) to send off- especially when I tell them I have never met these friends!
Love,Rebekka
Go to Top of Page

Judes
True Blue Farmgirl

156 Posts

Jude
OH
USA
156 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2006 :  1:52:53 PM  Show Profile  Send Judes a Yahoo! Message
I know what you both mean! Some gifts, some mail art, some paid for....but it seems like there's something new almost every day! Am so jealous that you get to go to the farm! Want to know something funny? I did a mapquest to MJF, to see how hard it would be to get there by car....I was expecting 3 pages of directions. Instead, it said basically this: starting at ________ , take a right onto _______. Turn rt onto route 90W. For 2,225 miles!! Follow exit #___. Take a right onto _______ .Turn right, into MJF. We got a giggle out of that. We've been joking that it's "just down the street.......2,225 miles"

http://schoolstreet.typepad.com
www.jac.etsy.com

Edited by - Judes on Jan 18 2006 1:54:25 PM
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2006 :  4:57:47 PM  Show Profile
I love getting my mail too...my kids always run in with it yelling..you got farmgirl mail again mom!!!

Jenny in Utah
It's astonishing how short a time it takes for very wonderful things to happen...Frances Burnette
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

CountryGirl85
True Blue Farmgirl

225 Posts

Laura
Oswego IL
USA
225 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2006 :  10:29:38 PM  Show Profile  Send CountryGirl85 an AOL message  Send CountryGirl85 a Yahoo! Message
I've noticed the same thing! I told my voice teacher that I'm planning on doing an organic farming internship this year and she was so interested! I was surprised! The farmgirl sprit touches everyone, even those you wouldn't think would be interested in such stuff. Thanks to all of you for touching my heart! I finally feel like I belong somewhere!

Much love,
Laura
Go to Top of Page

Mrs Tiggywinkle
Farmgirl in Training

36 Posts

Sara
Spokane WA
USA
36 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2006 :  10:45:46 PM  Show Profile
Frannie- I just got back from the first mtg of the Happy Apples- MJF sent us welcome kits (and Bobbi made them even more special) that had the cards in them. But it says I'm full of pulchritude. I need to look that up b4 I give one out! Or maybe I'll just edit them heavily!
Jude-That's strange that the men are so interested & the women not. I wonder why? Maybe we should set up an "auxilary" for them, like women used to have. My BIL said he wants to go to the farm fest, & will even wear an apron if he has to. (I'm going to tell him that's required garb just to see if he'll do it. I think he just wants to meet farmgirls...)
Lynn- that cracks me up about the bread-kneading. I learned to bake as a teenager, and slapping around 8 loaves worth of dough was pretty good therapy for all that ails teenage girls. My family knew when I'd had a break-up- they got all the homemade bread they could eat!
It's pretty plain to see that MJF has struck a chord. Keep spreading the word...
Love, Sara

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

Edited by - Mrs Tiggywinkle on Jan 20 2006 10:48:39 PM
Go to Top of Page

rosebud74a
True Blue Farmgirl

109 Posts

Stacy
Maryland NY
USA
109 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2006 :  11:40:52 PM  Show Profile  Send rosebud74a an AOL message
I have been taking my MJ book to work with me to spread the word to those who are known farm girls. I have been struck though by the response from the males (who are both PA's from more urban places). They both said that they wanted to go and buy the book for thier wives and that they wish thier wives were more into "farm girl" stuff.....Who knows maybe thier wives (or the husbands) will become MJ chapter future memebers :) My farm girls ways have laid dormate for sometime and I am rushing headlong back into finding the simplicity that I knew as a child growing up on a farm...I tell everyone about my recent rediscovery, which is thanks to MJ's book. So great to connect with people on this forum to!!! nice to chat with like minds....i have come to one conclusion, our next president of the US should be a farm girl :).Peace, Stacy

Aim above morality. Be not simply good, be good for something
Henry David Thoreau

Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2006 :  10:29:33 AM  Show Profile
You gals just bless my heart. It feels so good to be a part of a community that shares and cares as well as this one does. I'm so glad to read how y'all love it here. In the beginning of my time here....just a few months ago....I thought to myself,"You must need a life...you're getting way too excited about these farmgirls" Now, I see that I've just found my home with y'all....it's not hokey at all.

A friend of mine are starting a chapter and will be bringin' in lots more farmgirls! She owns a feed store and I turned her on to the site. She comes to read everyday but hasn't had the nerve or time to jump in. I'll be sure to give her a fine introduction when she comes.

My hubby loves this site. He is so happy for me....seeing me giggle and cry and getting to know all y'all. He knows your names and asks about ya'. He's waiting for Mona (Aunt Jenny's cow) to have that baby just like I am. He has also asked about joining in the chats. He hasn't gotten the nerve yet but I'm sure he'll say hello sometime.

I received my first farmgirl treasure from Aunt Jenny....a wonderful pin pillow. I cried when I opened it. My girls were with me and they yelled.."From a farmgirl!!" They see me working on little treasures and they ask, "Is that for a farmgirl? Which one?" They helped me pull the names for the valentine exchange and made comments like, "Oh, they'll be a good match"

We're all a good match!!
Blessings
Catherine

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2006 :  6:44:34 PM  Show Profile
Whenever I am doing mailart stuff my husband always asks, "this is kinda like the girl scouts for women, right?". I just laugh and say "yeah, that's it". He thinks it great though, he knows all about my background growing up on a farm and knows I miss some of things about it - the animals and the wide open spaces. He loves our veggie garden and thinks it's great when I come in with a head of lettuce or a bowl of berries. He never thought I could grow so much stuff in a small compact area, he is always impressed. I have been enjoying the whole mailart exchange to, both giving and receiving. It has been a great creative outlet for me since my daily job is very technical. Thanks to all of you.

Anne

"Second star to the right, straight on till morning" Peter Pan
Go to Top of Page

CountryGirl85
True Blue Farmgirl

225 Posts

Laura
Oswego IL
USA
225 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2006 :  8:56:41 PM  Show Profile  Send CountryGirl85 an AOL message  Send CountryGirl85 a Yahoo! Message
I got my first farmgirl package in the mail a few days ago. A nice, soggy, sweet smelling package of sourdough starter from Catherine! My sister, who's 15, is making fun of me because all I talk about is making aprons and baking sourdough bread and my new obsession with overalls. It's great!

Much love,
Laura
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2006 :  4:48:41 PM  Show Profile
Just found this out today. Rebekka Mae use to live in Multnomah Village here in Portland, Oregon. She use to walk by my husband's newspaper office and read his paper. We just shared some e-mails from the seed exchange and found this all out about each other. Though we have never met face to face, we share some same experiences from being in and around the village. Again, what a small world.

Anne Portland, OR

"Second star to the right, straight on till morning" Peter Pan
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2006 :  5:40:41 PM  Show Profile
I love to hear stuff like that. It makes me wonder how many farmgirls I met when I lived in Minnesota or Idaho or Calif in years past...cool!!

Jenny in Utah
It's astonishing how short a time it takes for very wonderful things to happen...Frances Burnette
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Rebekka Mae
True Blue Farmgirl

965 Posts

Rebekka
Moscow ID
USA
965 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2006 :  6:06:21 PM  Show Profile
Anne- I was so happy to find someone who also knows the magic of Multnomah Village- and now I feel sad that I did not know you there...maybe the next time I am in town we can wander into the coffee merchants, maybe auntie blooms and stop by Indigo Traders together! There are little pockets of wonderful all over the world- almost everyone I meet from one of these pockets knows all about the others- lately it has been these...
Nelson BC
Portland, OR
Maui- Paia and Haiku
Austin, TX
Ashland, OR
Eugene, OR
Moscow, ID
Sandpoint, ID
New Mexico
Mt Shasta, CA
Arcada, CA
Missoula, MT

Rebekka (I feel like I should be wearing a pin that says 'Are you a farmgirl too?')
Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2006 :  11:39:55 AM  Show Profile
I tell a lot of my friends or ladies at the gym about MJF and I figured since we don't live that far from Moscow, they'd know all about it (at least the farm)-- but they just look at me. I blather on about this site and how great it is and I get - nothing. I think I just have to do what Frannie does. Give them the address and let them see for themselves. It is weird though, that I was talking about Mary Jane at Christmas and found out that the band that my daughter is in had recorded some stuff out at the farm when they were still all in Moscow. Any of you Moscow/Pullman gals ever heard of "Ala Zingara"?

Debbie

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2006 :  12:00:50 PM  Show Profile
Hey gals.....I met a fellow farmgirl today. I posted about our time together under the topic, "I met a farmgirl" Please check it out.....you will love bayoubunch / Lori!

Farmgirls are the best!

Blessings
Catherine

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Farmgirls in the strangest places! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page