Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2006 :  8:09:17 PM  Show Profile
I am trying to learn to spin, by myself. I have the hand part down but oh the foot. I will do fine for a while and then it will turn and spin the other way. Do I just need more practice or am I doing something wrong. My drop spindle is so much easier. Help!

"...the setting sun is like going into the very presence of God." Elizabeth Von Arnim

AnnieT
True Blue Farmgirl

287 Posts

Annie

287 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2006 :  8:13:40 PM  Show Profile
You just need to get a rhythm down. When you are first starting on a wheel it is hard to keep track of everything. Sometimes I would just sit and tredle for a while when I first got my wheel. The treadle action of different wheels can feel very different, too, so if you might try some others. Personally, I think a drop spindle is way harder. Just keep practicing, you'll get it!

Annie

Visit the Bramblestitches store: www.bramblestitches.etsy.com
Visit me at my blog: http://bramblestitches.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

shepherdess
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Robin
Eatonville Washington
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2006 :  8:18:53 PM  Show Profile
It just takes Practice , practice , practice. and then more practice,LOL. You will do that for a while just stop and start again. Some times the tension might be a little tight.I always tell people , it takes a week to learn.If you have someone close to you to ask maybe they can give you a little pointer. I have been spinning since 1972 and i never learned on a drop spindle so now i am learning that and it is as frustrating to me.

Farm Girl from Western Washington
" From sheep to handspun "
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2006 :  9:52:41 PM  Show Profile
I agree...you will get it..just practice more..I have trouble with the drop spindle since I learned on a wheel...let us know how it goes!

Jenny in Utah
It's astonishing how short a time it takes for very wonderful things to happen...Frances Burnette
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

jenny louise
True Blue Farmgirl

166 Posts

jennifer
cass city MI
USA
166 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2006 :  02:22:17 AM  Show Profile
Good advice, everyone. I really like the treadle comment from Annie, it has a rhythm, and you will find it.
Believe me, I cried and cried when i was trying to learn, because I wanted to spin so badly and I thought I would never ever learn. I started on a drop spindle also, and still use it, but I love the wheel!
Do you have anyone in your area that spins and can just sit with you? How about a guild? Our guild is just a font of information and help...worth checking into.
I am sending all kinds of hope your way...take a deep breath and imagine yourself spinning away!
Love and Light, Jenny in MI
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2006 :  1:05:55 PM  Show Profile
I finally got a hold of an older couple who both spin who are with a guild 30 miles from me. I called them and they are coming on Friday to help me. YEAH!!!!! I am so excited. I have wanted to spin since I was in jr. high, 30+ years ago. I will practice just treadling till friday. Hopfully, that will help. Thank you girls for your help and encouagment!!!! Julia

"...the setting sun is like going into the very presence of God." Elizabeth Von Arnim
Go to Top of Page

jenny louise
True Blue Farmgirl

166 Posts

jennifer
cass city MI
USA
166 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2006 :  02:15:49 AM  Show Profile
How exciting, julia! That is so neat that they will come to you to help, please let us know how it goes!!! Love and Light, Jenny in MI
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2006 :  06:28:08 AM  Show Profile
Wonderful Julia!! That will be so nice to have people with that much experience teaching you! I had to teach myself..no one I knew did any spinning. I found a guild afterwards though and got help improving from a bunch of sweet older gals with tons of experience. I loved it. Havn't found a guild here yet..but we are in the boonies..I know with some driving I could find one. It is so nice when you are a beginner to have some encouragement like that though!!
You are gonna love it Julia!! Have fun!!

Jenny in Utah
It's astonishing how short a time it takes for very wonderful things to happen...Frances Burnette
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2006 :  11:34:07 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Jenny's. I am really looking forward to Friday. I will let you know how iot goes.

Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2006 :  1:18:17 PM  Show Profile
Julia,
When I was trying to learn the treddling I sat for a long time just treddling. But still had trouble with the wheel going backward on occasion. I found 2 things helped. The first was making sure the treddle and all moving parts of the wheel were freshly oiled! This made a huge difference. The second was that my wheel had only one foot peddle so to get a good rythem for me I needed to put both feet on the peddle. Still cannot do it with just one foot. Am looking to trade my wheel in on a dual peddle model.
Eileen

Songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2006 :  8:09:31 PM  Show Profile
Good tips Eileen. I will try both. Thanks!

Go to Top of Page

McKenzie Mist
Farmgirl in Training

41 Posts

Bev
Walterville Oregon
USA
41 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2006 :  10:37:58 PM  Show Profile
Julia,
How did your spinning lesson go? I hope well. As someone else has already suggested, make sure that you oil all moving parts on your wheel before using it each time. Also, I've noticed on my wheels that sometimes when the wheel was to "roll back" in the opposite direction, if I adjust the tension on the brake band it helps. The other thing that helped me learn to treadle was to just sit and treadle without holding any fiber. Maybe read as you're doing it, whatever, just spend time treadling.

Happy spinning!
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2006 :  4:42:37 PM  Show Profile
dont give up! Practice does make perfect. After awhile when you spin perfect thread, you'll be trying to make some of that not so perfect stuff you used to hate. Another spinner, I love it. Michele

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2006 :  4:45:52 PM  Show Profile
Whoo HOo!!! Well, my lessons went great!!!!!!! What patient,gracious people. They sat and watched me spin, while I told them the problems I was having. He fixed the tension and figured out another problem with the wheel that made the treadling difficult. they have even offered to let me use one of their wheels that they think has a better action then the one I am using. Wow! They told me to call them any time with any question. So, though I still have the thin/thick thing to get figured out, I am sensing hope!!! Thanks girls for the tips and support. Happy Spinning to you all!!!! Julia

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2006 :  5:15:26 PM  Show Profile
Oh Julia..I am so glad your lesson went so well!! Isn't it fun when you suddenly "get it"? I think spinning is so relaxing and "earthy!!!" I am due to oil mine and get out the wool and get spinning...I have been so distracted lately. I need to make a special time just for that each day!! Sounds like you found perfect spinning mentors!!!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2006 :  12:55:25 PM  Show Profile
Spinning,now that I have the hang of it, is very meditative. It is relaxing,plus I like the fact that the efforts are seen immediatly. My Dh has a "brain job" so when he comes home at night he veggies with a movie or Andy Griffith and Bonaza. I think I will have to move the wheel from the living room to the family room so he will know I exsist. The wheel can be all consuming for me.

Go to Top of Page

McKenzie Mist
Farmgirl in Training

41 Posts

Bev
Walterville Oregon
USA
41 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2006 :  11:47:22 PM  Show Profile
Julia - Congratulations on getting the hang of it! Enjoy!
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2006 :  09:58:25 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Bev! Remember that wool I made mention of, that I bought at the thrift store, that I wanted to ply. I did some, and it did okay. I think I needed a bit more twist. It isn't very soft wool, in fact it is really rough, so I don't know what I will use it for.

Go to Top of Page

MullersLaneFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

596 Posts

Rock Falls IL
596 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2006 :  1:04:03 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Julia

The wheel can be all consuming for me.

THAT's an understatement!!

Ol 'MacDonald has nothing on us!
http://www.mullerslanefarm.com
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2006 :  9:50:38 PM  Show Profile
Had another spinning lesson today. I got to spin on a Louet and a Lendrum. I loved the Lendrum, it is a double treadle. It is a dream!!
Blueapple sent me some Corridale and Merino wool to play with. I got it today before I had my lesson. While I was there they gave my 14 daughter a lesson. YOu'd think she had been doing it forever. She did really well. I think she might be hooked! They introduced me to a catalogue, Woodland Woolworks, www.woolworks.com here in Oregon. OOO!!! Will have to get up there one of these days. I am loving this new work of wool and wheels!

Go to Top of Page

MullersLaneFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

596 Posts

Rock Falls IL
596 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2006 :  12:20:56 PM  Show Profile
I love the woolworks catalogue. Anyone know of other paper catalogues for spinning/weaving/fiber??

Cyndi
Joshua 24:15

Ol 'MacDonald has nothing on us!
http://www.mullerslanefarm.com
Go to Top of Page

AnnieT
True Blue Farmgirl

287 Posts

Annie

287 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2006 :  1:28:47 PM  Show Profile
Halcyon Yarn is great. They have several different catalogs (yarn, fiber, weaving, etc.). I think you can request a catalog at www.halcyonyarn.com

Bramblestitches Store: www.bramblestitches.etsy.com
My blog: http://bramblestitches.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Spinning Help Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page