Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2009 :  2:45:12 PM  Show Profile
In the brand new MaryJanesFarm Mag that came today, there is a recipe for soft cheese. It only takes a few hours to make. I saw a show in the food network that showed a resturant in NYC that made fresh Mozzarella every morning. Is the recipe in the magazine, (page 73), mozzarella?

This is going to be soooooo good on my sour dough bread. Can't wait to have a fresh slice of tomato with my soft cheese and s.d. bread!!

Bellepepper

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2009 :  3:11:58 PM  Show Profile
I believe it is just a basic soft cheese that is spreadable. NOT a mozzerella but I haven't made it yet.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Cindy
Sparks Nevada
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2009 :  3:12:23 PM  Show Profile
Hi ya Belle, I have been making mozzarella like mad lately. I got the recipe out of Animal, Vegetable, Miracle and it is pretty easy. There is nothing like warm, fresh, mozzarella and I'm with ya, I'm anxious to have some with tomatoes and fresh basil!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2009 :  3:16:43 PM  Show Profile
OK Cindy, How do you make mozzarella?? Does it take long? Do you use full fat milk? I have seen it in the grocery that is made with skim milk.
Go to Top of Page

sjs
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Stephanie
Oakland CA
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2009 :  3:44:36 PM  Show Profile  Send sjs an AOL message  Send sjs a Yahoo! Message
Belle, here's a PDF with the instructions:

http://www.animalvegetablemiracle.com/Mozzarella.pdf

Stephanie

--------------------
Learning to live is learning to let go.

Visit my food blog! http://www.wasabimon.com - natural cooking to live for.
Go to Top of Page

sjs
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Stephanie
Oakland CA
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2009 :  3:45:59 PM  Show Profile  Send sjs an AOL message  Send sjs a Yahoo! Message
I tried to make mozzarella this weekend and it flopped. I don't know what happened! I used a different kind of milk (Strauss farm... local and organic, not ultra pasteurized) so maybe that was it? Talk about disappointment.

Stephanie

--------------------

Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Cindy
Sparks Nevada
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2009 :  6:11:25 PM  Show Profile
Stepahie, Don't give up!!! It took us a couple of trys too but I believe we have got it now! I will have to tell you that I never did get it to work with organic milk, I don't know why. Did it just not make curds? If so, you might want to add more of the citric acid (from 1 1/2 t. to 1 3/4 t.) We may even go to 2 teaspoons to see how that goes. Let us know because I have other trouble shooting for you....mainly because I goofed up a lot! It really is worth it though!
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Cindy
Sparks Nevada
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2009 :  6:14:15 PM  Show Profile
Wow Steph, I just went to your blog, you are QUITE a cook!!!! Hat's off to you!
Go to Top of Page

sjs
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Stephanie
Oakland CA
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2009 :  8:59:43 PM  Show Profile  Send sjs an AOL message  Send sjs a Yahoo! Message
Thanks Cindy Lee!!

I had the same problem - no curds. And I think I figured out the problem with our milk, because I used organic too - organic milks are usually heated past 170, which is the temp at which the proteins denature. I have no idea WHY they heat organic milk so high! I talked to the cheese people and they said that regular milk is only heated to 161, and is therefore more likely to work to make cheese. DOH!!! The only way we'll be able to use organic milk is if we buy it raw. I know that's really hard in some states.... sigh.

What brand of organic milk did you use? I used Strauss and they even say they heat it to 170:

http://www.strausfamilycreamery.com/?title=Cream-Top%20Milk#j3

Stephanie

--------------------

Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Cindy
Sparks Nevada
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2009 :  10:58:19 AM  Show Profile
We drink Stremick's Heritage milk (organic)but I just use a local dairy for cheese making (because I couldn't get it to work.) I am so glad you mentioned the temp thing, at least I feel better about the goof ups we had! Do try again, you won't be sorry! If you can cook like you do, you will be a cheese maker for sure! Also, ricotta is VERY easy to make and I believe it's cost effective too.
Go to Top of Page

5 acre Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1007 Posts

~~~*Terri*~~~
WA.
USA
1007 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2009 :  8:53:56 PM  Show Profile
Mozzarlla has citric acid in it....regular cheese does not...
One can also make regular cheese with milk and vinegar...
Curdles are caused by a reaction from the milk and rennet/vinegar....no curdles, not enough rennet/old rennet....
Temperature has all to do with it also, not high enough, it wont curdle, too high and it will "squeek"....
Cheese is easy, but,a bit tricky at first.
I have made cheese for 20 years....

Farmgirl Sister #368

BRAND NEW PAGE>>>>>
PLEASE go to....
http://blogonthefarmandgarden.blogspot.com

http://froccsfrillsfurbiloesandmore.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

sjs
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Stephanie
Oakland CA
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2009 :  9:48:33 PM  Show Profile  Send sjs an AOL message  Send sjs a Yahoo! Message
Terri, it's good to know there's a pro on here. I'd love to ask you more questions once I get a little more experience under my belt.

What does "squeek" mean?

--------------------

Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2009 :  05:49:37 AM  Show Profile
Terri, Where do you get your rennet? I have seen it in catalogs but not lately. I want to give mozzarella a try. I bought the milk and cream to make the soft cheese. The cashier at the dairy store thought I was crazy. I bought a gallon of 2%, (that's what Ole Ron drinks) I bought 1/2 & 1/2 for my coffee. Then I bought a qt of whole milk and a half pint of heavy cream for my cheese. She couldn't figure out why I was bothering with the 2%.
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2875 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2875 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2009 :  08:06:52 AM  Show Profile
Belle
I get mine through a goat supply company like Hoeggers or Caprine
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2009 :  08:23:02 AM  Show Profile
This website http://www.cheesemaking.com/ has GREAT cheese making kits and I have always had success with them. The mozzerella kit comes with everything you need except the milk. If you buy the hard cheese kits you will need to buy wax as well.

Belle - they also sell the rennet.
Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com

Edited by - willowtreecreek on Mar 12 2009 08:23:44 AM
Go to Top of Page

vintagediva1
True Blue Farmgirl

1251 Posts

Michele
Brighton Michigan
USA
1251 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2009 :  08:31:40 AM  Show Profile
I hav the kit for mozzarella sitting on my counter. Now maybe I will get brave enough to try it. Thanks for all the info, ladies
Michele

www.2vintagedivas.etsy.com

Love that good ole vintage junk
Go to Top of Page

sjs
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Stephanie
Oakland CA
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2009 :  12:56:22 PM  Show Profile  Send sjs an AOL message  Send sjs a Yahoo! Message
I love http://www.cheesemaking.com/ . Every time I peruse the website there's so much I want to buy. Especially the oldschool cheese presses!

--------------------

Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2009 :  08:20:26 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Steph, Love the web site. Plan to order some things soon.
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2009 :  07:56:28 AM  Show Profile
I made my first batch of soft cheese yesterday. The grandsons had it half eaten before I could get some seasonings in it. I think this is going to be a winner. Everyone loves it.
Go to Top of Page

sunflowercritters
True Blue Farmgirl

1102 Posts

Debra
Springfield Maine
USA
1102 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2009 :  3:26:00 PM  Show Profile
Hi all just came in on your cheese making. I'm very new and have tryed making soft cheese like you said with vinegar I love it my family so enjoys that cheese. i also put herbs into it taste great with garlic and chives yum
has anyone tried hard cheese? i tried that and it didn't come out which i will be trying again once my kids are born.. have more goat milk soon. yum i do what to try mozzarella cheese my next batch of cheese. so what does the citric acid do to the cheese making? is it powder or liquid form?
farmgirl sister #462

Worry ends Where Faith in God begins.
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Cindy
Sparks Nevada
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2009 :  3:39:24 PM  Show Profile
Michele, Give it a go!!! What have you got to loose? (Well, maybe a gal. of Milk!)
Go to Top of Page

MsTrekken
Farmgirl in Training

18 Posts

Bonnie
Amherst VA
USA
18 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2009 :  5:26:49 PM  Show Profile
Well I made a beeline to the kitchen to try the soft cheese recipe in the Apr.May 09 issue. It turned out perfect..so smooth! I didn't have cheesecloth so let it drain through a coffee filter. I tried the garlic, dill, salt and pepper flavor. Very, very good. My question would be how does this compare to a cream cheese product. Could the soft cheese be used in such a way?

May the good Lord bless and keep you.
Go to Top of Page

MsTrekken
Farmgirl in Training

18 Posts

Bonnie
Amherst VA
USA
18 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2009 :  5:30:50 PM  Show Profile
I made a beeline to the kitchen to try the soft cheese recipe from the Apr.May 09 issue. Not having cheesecloth, I used a coffee filter to let the product drain through..overnight. It is soooo smooth; made about 1/4 pound. I used the garlic,dill, salt and pepper flavors and it is delicious on wheat crackers. I do have a question....how does this soft cheese compare to cream cheese? Could it be used as a replacement do you think?

May the good Lord bless and keep you.
Go to Top of Page

Farmers Daughter
True Blue Farmgirl

90 Posts

DiAnn

90 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2009 :  11:48:46 PM  Show Profile
I went to cheesemaking.com and was reading about the 30 minute mozzarella kit. It had mentioned that it come with directions for also making Ricotta cheese and you will also get recipes for making pizza crust and Italian bread using the whey that comes from making the cheese. That seemed interesting to me.

I made the soft cheese and while pouring off the whey I kept wonder if it could be use for something.
Has anyone tried this?

Go to Top of Page

suethequilter
Farmgirl in Training

36 Posts

susan
jackson michigan
USA
36 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2009 :  05:31:38 AM  Show Profile
I bought the cheese making kit several months ago. I not only make Mozzarella, but also ricolla, and cream cheese. We are going to try our hand at making hard cheesa this summer. I bought the plans for the cheese press. Just need some time to build it.
I also have the yogotherm it makes the best yogurt! You can make excelent yogurt cheese with it. I also use it instead of sour cream when I bake.

life is good
Farmgirl#172
Go to Top of Page

farm~maid
True Blue Farmgirl

176 Posts

Christine
IN
USA
176 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2009 :  2:30:01 PM  Show Profile
I've been making (or trying to make) cheese for a couple of years. I finally have the 30 minute mozzarella like we like it. I just finished some of the vinegar cheese and used some of it as cream cheese for peanut butter brownies. They are cooling now and smelling good. I hope they taste as good as they smell.

The whey can be used in baking - quick breads, yeast breads, cakes.
I've heard it makes great pancakes, but haven't tried it yet.
I have so much whey that I use it to water outside plants. That is if we don't have pigs to drink it.LOL

One day I will tackle hard cheese.

Christine
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Make your own cheese Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page