City Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Deb
Chattanooga TN
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2009 :  04:28:08 AM  Show Profile
Sometimes I wonder where it has gone. Yesterday at Borders I returned a book then asked the gal behind the counter if she would see if a book I had requested online was in. A short "it's not here" and a blank look was all she gave me. Not, perhaps it's still on the shelf. Nothing. (I did find it back on the shelf)

At Wild Oats one day I was just perusing the aisles when a worker asked me if I needed help. I asked for a certain product and his reply? "Let's go ask someone who would know - I only change the lightbulbs around here." He stuck around to see where it was at too!

Some people go above and beyond the call of duty at stores and others just don't seem to give a hoot. I would think with the economy in the state it's in - stores would be giving their employees a good talking to about how to handle customers. I will be returning to Wild Oats - that Borders, I'm not so sure.

http://www.xanga.com/My_Pondering_Place

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2009 :  07:16:21 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
That is too bad about that employee at Borders. I was at our local one a month and a half ago or so with my mother in law who speaks with a Sweedish accent. One of their employees was very helpful in helping us find what she needed after it took a little explaining as to exactly what she needed.

Without trying to minamilize the suffering a recession can cause or the trama that losing a job can cause- maybe the recession will help teach some people what a work ethic is and those with a good work ethic will be rewarded.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

sjs
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Stephanie
Oakland CA
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2009 :  08:36:31 AM  Show Profile  Send sjs an AOL message  Send sjs a Yahoo! Message
I've had similar experiences at Barnes and Noble, and won't be going back. The people in this location seem really bitter in general - except for the girl in the coffee shop who went above and beyond the call of duty to help me. I was so impressed I called the manager to rave about her!

Maybe in this day and age where people are having a hard time, we should make an effort to call and commend extra helpful people to their managers? It might feed the circle of kindness.

Stephanie, Farmgirl Sister #513!

--------------------
Learning to live is learning to let go.

Visit my food blog! http://www.wasabimon.com - natural cooking to live for.
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2009 :  09:05:42 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I think, no matter what, you work for people where you have interaction you best be on your good behaviour. Maybe it was the way I was raised but I have worked plenty of icky jobs where I had to keep smiling even though I wanted to smack someone in the head. Honestly, I have been calling people on it wherever I go. I ask for the manager and that seem to straighten them out. I am not being rude, but I don't expect rudeness or worse, being ignored, from someone who works there. Some people you can't satisfy. And yes, make an effort to call the manager, too, on people who are extremely helpful and courteous.

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2009 :  09:43:03 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
During the Christmas shopping crush, my whole extended family was at Toys R Us getting presents for the kids. They were fantastic. Very Helpful and no one was flustered by the hoards of people. So I was really pleased. I went back a month later to buy Nora's Christmas present (We had to wait until after Christmas to buy hers) and ended up having to return it as it was broken out of the box. One of the employees was EXTREMELY rude. We had taken the time to tell the manager how wonderful everyone was during the Christmas rush, and I took time to tell the manager how horrible that employee was after Christmas. I refuse to feel bad for telling the truth. Even if you are having a bad day because of personal things, I was always taught to leave the personal things at home and put on my work face. A smile is part of the uniform where ever you go. Even if you never see the customer and just do phone call work. A smile is a necessity.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2009 :  3:10:31 PM  Show Profile
Our Wild Oats just changed to a Whole Foods but they still have AMAZING service! I have to drive 70 miles to shop there and it is more expensive but a wonderful experience! I even once had a worker offer to open a can of tomatoes so I could try them before I purchased them! How cool is that!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

glendagoldenbp
True Blue Farmgirl

196 Posts

glenda
cleburne tx
USA
196 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2009 :  3:39:48 PM  Show Profile
Stephanie, I think you are on the right track. Maybe kindness could be contagious and should start with us.

Sunrises are wonderous things, nobody should ever miss one.
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Customer Service Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page