Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Parenting & Farm Kids
 Had to take Nora to ER
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Had to take Nora to ER Next Topic  

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2009 :  1:10:24 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Nora has been having a rash issue for the past month. It would calm down and then flair back up again. She has been getting so itchy that she has been scratching herself bloody in places. I normally don't have to trim her nails down very far. She likes the long and is usually really good about not scratching herself, but I have had to clip them down as far as they can go.

So Friday night she was extra itchy. We gave her some Benedryl and some Tylenol and she fell asleep. After being asleep for only a couple of hours, she woke up screaming in pain.

We tried to give her an oatmeal bath to see if that would help calm down the itching, but it didn't help. So because she was in so much pain we ended up taking her to the ER. They have proscribed her steroids and an allergy medicine and we need to take her to an allergist to help narrow down what the real allergy is.

They also recommended taking her off dairy and eggs to see if that helped.

She has been off dairy for a full day, and today she is still itchy so I am really hoping it wasn't dairy! But at the same time I hope it is dairy so that we can more forward with eliminating the allergen from our diet.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2009 :  2:38:52 PM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
Poor Nora. Are the docs sure it's an allergy? My younger two always broke out in the winter from eczema, very itchy rash. Sometimes weather changes or changes in diet can bring on an outbreak too. Hope doc can figure out what it is and get it cleared up for her.

Hugs Melanie

Shop~ http://www.squidoo.com/buyinghomemade
Blog~ http://wheelsarealwaysturning.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2009 :  6:29:47 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I don't think we will know for sure until we visit the allergist and really see what is going on. I hope it is an easy fix. Her screaming in pain like that was horrible.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2009 :  7:06:43 PM  Show Profile
Wow,poor baby girl...

I hope it is something simple and easy to treat.

Sometimes I think doctors hear hooves and think zebras instead of horses.

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2009 :  11:00:09 AM  Show Profile
Lela had the same problem from birth till she was 6 months old. I tried every RX the dr prescribed, and every shampoo/soap they said to use.

Then I read on here about No Poo.......I first used it on her head, NO more itching right away.

Then one night the funniest thing happened. She was itching really badly and had a horrible rash, we decided to give her a bath first, to save time I just used baking soda to wash her as well as her hair.

By, the time we got seen by the ER dr, the rash was completely gone!!!!!! I mean gone. We were baffled.

I went to only using baking soda to wash her whole body, and she has never had the rashes return, she's 2 1/2 now!

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2009 :  1:41:38 PM  Show Profile
I watched a new program on tv last night that delves deeper into issues. One segment last night was about a little guy about Nora's age with a very nasty, owie looking allergic rash. An alert pediatrician recognized it as an allergy to red food coloring made from the cochineal beetle (and labelled as "natural"). Google it...you'll be appalled at the common products that contain the coloring from this beetle...Minute Maid, several popular varieties of yogurt and ice cream, most red candy, soda pop, orange Listerine mouthwash, etc. etc. I was shocked!!

Di on VI
Farmgirl Sister #73
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2009 :  2:45:06 PM  Show Profile
I didn't know about that Diane, however, I do know with out a doubt that my niece and nephews are all allergic to red food dye! They will puke their guts out if anything has it in it, that they eat. It took me years to convince the rest of the family of this. Finally I just started inviting the family members that insisted on feeding the children foods with it, to come clean the puke!

Any way, thankfully eventually the kids got big enough to let people know about the allergy, if they were eating at their home, and began to remember what foods made them puke later!

Now they are in foster care (long story) and the social worker is complaining about their puking......tried to let them know of this allergy and how they never puked with me, in my care.....but as usual such crazy thinking as mine is ignored. I guess the foster parents will just have to keep cleaning puke. (btw the kids did tell the foster parents, but these foster parents have a strict eat every thing on your plate rule....so I guess they will have a strict clean up puke rule in the house too!).

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2009 :  6:41:04 PM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
I knew a gal in high school that was allergic to red food coloring too. She didn't tell me how it affected her just that she couldn't have anything with it.

Melanie

Shop~ http://www.squidoo.com/buyinghomemade
Blog~ http://wheelsarealwaysturning.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Had to take Nora to ER Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page