Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Quilt Lovers - Beautiful quilt photos
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Quilt Lovers - Beautiful quilt photos Next Topic  

createmyworld
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

Beth
Akron PA
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2009 :  11:51:15 AM  Show Profile
I posted this in sewing and crafting forum, but thought I should maybe post it here too... The Harrisburg, PA Farm Show Complex is host to the PA Relief Sale. This event auctions off beautiful works donated for the auction from generous and talented quilters. Since 1957, all sale day proceeds, nearly $11 million to date, benefit the worldwide relief efforts of Mennonite Central Committee (MCC) which include aid to the victims of poverty and other man-made and natural disasters. I have the advantage of living close to both the sale venue and the complex where the preview of the quilts is held which took place this weekend. I took some photos of my favorites from this year's show and thought some of you might be interested in viewing them, they are at the following link (everyone can see them, you don't have to have a facebook account):

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2009258&id=1054585585&l=de8a5

Enjoy!

www.createmyworld.etsy.com

"He who works with his hands is a laborer, he who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman, he who works with his hands, head and heart is an artist." -St. Francis of Asisi

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4737 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4737 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2009 :  12:40:39 PM  Show Profile
Beth, the quilts are beautiful. Out of curiosity, how much does a quilt for a king sized bed cost?

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

createmyworld
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

Beth
Akron PA
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2009 :  8:53:55 PM  Show Profile
Hi Dawn,
Actually, I've not yet been to any of the auctions, so I can't really answer that question. I hope to someday get to the auction as it must be incredible, this year they are auctioning off 413 quilts! I probably only saw a quarter or less of what will be auctioned off... I go to the preview which is held in a different location a few weeks before the actual auction. I've attended the preview every year for the past 3 or 4 years. I'm interested in getting ideas and inspiration, as I'm pretty sure I can't afford to purchase one of these beauties... The preview is quite an event in itself, there are bus-loads full of quilters that travel here every year just to see them and then they all go shop at all of the great fabric stores which we are fortunate enough to have in my area. MCC also holds a sale during the preview of all kinds of goodies (vintage fabrics, quiltblocks, scrap grab-bags, vintage linens (hankies, napkins, doilies,aprons, etc.), cutter quilts, quilting books, to name a few...
If you'd like to see all of the quilts that will be auctioned this year and perhaps gain information on how you might be able to bid (not sure if you can do that on the phone or web for this or not...) check out this link: http://www.pareliefsale.org/325107.ihtml

www.createmyworld.etsy.com

"He who works with his hands is a laborer, he who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman, he who works with his hands, head and heart is an artist." -St. Francis of Asisi
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4737 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4737 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2009 :  2:38:24 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Beth. I dream of some day getting a quilt for my bedroom.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

sjs
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Stephanie
Oakland CA
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2009 :  08:45:30 AM  Show Profile  Send sjs an AOL message  Send sjs a Yahoo! Message
Those are beautiful. Quilting is on my "to learn" list .

Stephanie, Farmgirl Sister #513!

--------------------
Learning to live is learning to let go.

Visit my food blog! http://www.wasabimon.com - natural cooking to live for.
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Quilt Lovers - Beautiful quilt photos Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page