DearMildred
True Blue Farmgirl

223 Posts

Amanda
Tulsa OK
USA
223 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2009 :  08:13:33 AM  Show Profile
I have an ugly wall I want to cover up, right next to my garden. It's probably about 10 x 10.

Unfortunately, it's my neighbor's wall! He rents so he doesn't mind if I vine some flowers up it.

Anybody ever built your own lattice from scratch? Just got some wood lathe and nailed it together? I really don't like the diagonal lattice, I like the old square kind.

Doesn't seem like it would be that hard.

Any advice appreciated!

~~~Amanda in OK~~~

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves. ~Will Rogers

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2009 :  08:54:19 AM  Show Profile
I haven't made a trellis from lathes, but I have made more naturalistic ones from tree trimmings. You're right, it's not that hard. I would bet that using wood that's flat and uniform in size would be even easier. Go for it!

Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2009 :  08:57:47 AM  Show Profile
Oh, I just had a thought as soon as I hit "submit" (of course). Depending on what plants you want to grow, chicken wire might be cheaper and faster than wood trellis. You could nail together a square of wood, and then staple the chicken wire to it (like a screen window). That would make a great trellis for morning glory or pole beans. Guess it all depends on what you want it to look like, and what tools and supplies are most available to you!
Go to Top of Page

doglady
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Tina
Howard Ohio
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2009 :  10:08:44 AM  Show Profile
Hi Amanda,

I just saw a DIY show in which they built a free-standing lattice. They used rebarb (the stuff they put into cement) to fashion the lattice squares. Then they painted everything and it looked really nice except for their choice of colors. I would think that you could grow beans, cucumbers, squash, flowers, or anything else that wants to climb on it. They also hung some chimes on it made out of glass colored glass pieces. You can probably find the instructions on diynetwork.com. Good Luck,

Tina

You can tell your dog all of your secrets and they'll never say a word!
www.kennelcreations.com

Edited by - doglady on Mar 06 2009 10:10:09 AM
Go to Top of Page

DearMildred
True Blue Farmgirl

223 Posts

Amanda
Tulsa OK
USA
223 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2009 :  12:59:07 PM  Show Profile
Never thought about using rebar! Huh! Boy, would that be heavy :D

I think I'm going to use my chicken wire in the backyard but for this particular spot I need something that will look nice. Lemme see, I actually have a picture of the space - the neighbor's landlord has patched the wooden siding with vinyl and it looks AWFUL!

Bought some heirloom seeds to vine there - morning glories and vining Black Eyed Susans, etc :D

Mine is the blue house - my new raised beds start right about where the rr ties are. This has been the ugliest spot in my yard for a long, long time so I'm kind of excited about what the "after" will look like!

~~~Amanda in OK~~~

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves. ~Will Rogers

Edited by - DearMildred on Mar 06 2009 1:00:31 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Building your own lattice? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page