Jill Reeves
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

Jill
Greeneville TN
USA
4 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2009 :  10:06:40 AM  Show Profile
We are thinking of getting some pygmy goats for our farm. Does anyone have pros/cons to share before we jump in? We have four horses and two llamas (which my husband is insistant on me selling before I can get the goats!)

Shyann
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

BC
Canada
7 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2009 :  1:20:47 PM  Show Profile
We don't have "pygmy" goats, but we do have 2 mini goats and a Nubian and a Nubian/ Alpine cross. The 2 big Nubian boys don't jump, or at least haven't jumped our fence... The mini's tho. They have springs for legs. Jumped straight up and over a 4 ft tall fence. We put up an extra foot on top of the existing fence and they jumped that. My friend has a couple of Boer crosses that don't jump either, so maybe it's just a little goat thing (I still can't keep mine in, but they don't damage anything, so I gave up and the perimeter of the property is fenced)? A friends husband told me a funny story about when he was a kid and a neighbour had a goat. This goat would jump up on the big wooden fence, walk along until he got to the hay pile, jump up on it and walk along til he he could up on the roof of the 2 story typical big red barn roof. I guess he would get right to the tip of the roof and stand there all day long, just keeping an eye on the farm. More economical then a weather vane? Good luck with the goats :) They are lots of fun, each with their own personality and sense of haha.
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Anyone have pygmy goats? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page