mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2006 :  4:17:56 PM  Show Profile
In our Montana cabin, we heat and cook on an old wood kitchen stove. I am just learning how to use it. For example, I now know that I need to turn the biscuits around half way through the baking time or one half turns out black while the other side doesn't quite get done! Anyone else just use a wood stove for cooking and baking? Any hints?

shepherdess
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Robin
Eatonville Washington
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2006 :  01:01:58 AM  Show Profile
I have an old wood cookstove in my kitchen and I use it quite a bit in the fall and winter. I love it . I have had it for 30 years. It has a wonderful warming oven on the top.I think the food tastes so much better when cooked on it. I also have an electric stove. I cook with cast iron also.

Farm Girl from Western Washington
" From sheep to handspun "
Go to Top of Page

Snowden Cottage
True Blue Farmgirl

56 Posts

Mumsie
Valley WA
USA
56 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2006 :  06:49:43 AM  Show Profile
I have had and cooked/baked with a cookstove for over 25 years..sometimes it is my only option..and I love it..will use it anytime (well..canning in the summer is interesting) over a electric or gas. We will be moving sometime soon (LW)to our cabin which has our big ole stove already in place and it will be the only cooking option. If you can get a copy of Carla Emery's "Old Fashioned Recipe Book" there is a great section on cooking on a woodstove..my first "primer" years ago using my newly acquired stove. The main thing is that you have to plan ahead and it takes more time to use it..but nothing taste better than something baked in a woodstove. I read recently that it has actually been proven that the electromagnetic field in an electric stove alters the food "taste"..for lack of better words..now I know why! Anyway..hope you get the hang of it..and love it, too.

GB Mumsie

Live simply... Love deeply...Hope forever!
Go to Top of Page

Christine in Clark Fork
Farmgirl in Training

34 Posts

Christine
Clark Fork Idaho
USA
34 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2006 :  08:57:52 AM  Show Profile
Just this fall, I bought a "Baker's Choice" Amish made wood stove. These are very plain and basic but the firebox is large enough to heat the house. I have had a great time cooking on it and should have got one years ago. I have gotten spoiled on how large of a cooking area you have.

I am sure every stove is a little different. With my stove, I have found that baking pizza, muffins, breads and biscuits on the oven floor works best. When baked on the shelf, they cook to much on top and don't get done on the bottom.

Have fun with your stove. Where in Montana is your cabin?
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2006 :  11:20:22 AM  Show Profile
I would love to have a small wood cook stove for my kitchen some day. There is already a chimney and covered flue where years ago (old house) I am sure that was what was used exclusivly. I remember having one in a house I lived in as a child in Idaho for a couple years. We had an electric stove too, but our power went out alot. My mom, not exactly the pioneer type..did her best to learn to use it. I remember loving how if looked and the warmth it put out in that big kitchen. It was a big one!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2006 :  12:47:23 PM  Show Profile
I am very interested in buying a wood cook stove but have a few questions. What do you do when someone wants just one of something, grilled cheese sandwich, for example? Also, if the kitchen woodstove will heat the entire house, what do you do in the summer? We have very hot & humid summers here, so this is a concern.

Any information is appreciated.

Some people search for happiness; others create it.

http://happymama58.typepad.com/my_weblog/
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Wood kitchen stove Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page