K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2009 :  11:13:17 AM  Show Profile
Ok farmgirls, who of you are still making the original sourdough bread the Mary Jane Way weekly? I have continued now since the first recipe in the MJ magazine Issue last month. Today I added raisins & cinnamon to my loaf & put it in a larger pan one big loaf..

Cheryl
Farmgirl #309

Almost daily posts at:
http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
Come visit the barn at http://barndoorcreations.blogspot.com/

Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise',
I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2009 :  11:41:32 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi Cheryl! I planned on baking bread today, but it looks like we might be going out to the country to look at a new duplex that we might be renting. So I guess I will do the baking tomorrow. That is one of the things I really love about this sourdough. It's so flexible! I want to go by some raisins today so I can do the cinnamon raisin bread as well. Have fun baking!! Click

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2009 :  11:52:06 AM  Show Profile
Cheryl! YES!!!! It is bread baking day.....week 2 for me and I am making ROnna's San Francisco Sour DOugh recipe from the original post. I went to a moving sale this morning and so I am a bit behind. My dough is on it's first rise now. Did you have luck your first week? I made pancakes last week and next week will be the first time I will be trying MJ's recipe. Sounds like you got off to a great start!

Sam in AR..... "It's a great life if you don't weaken!"
Farmgirl Sister #226

www.farmgirlsam.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2009 :  12:14:35 PM  Show Profile
Cheryl,

This is my first week making the bread :) It is rising right now. I opted to make the 2 round loaves of the plain white. Next week I will be more daring :)

I hope everyone has success!

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2009 :  12:24:01 PM  Show Profile
This is my second bread day, and it is in the oven rising with the oven light on as I write. In one hour or so I will go and bake it for dinner tonight. This week the mother smelled much more sourdoughy and bubbled well, so I think it is on the way to being a good little mom. I will let you all know how this week went. Last week's did not go uneaten by our men! :)

oh, and I tried a little experiment today. When I added the 2 and 1/2 cups flour to the mother, I used my organic bread flour (instead of all purpose) which I use for all my other breads....I was wondering if it would rise a little higher. We will see!

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13

Edited by - jpbluesky on Feb 28 2009 12:25:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4737 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4737 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2009 :  1:11:18 PM  Show Profile
I've two loaves of farmers white bread rising right now! I hope they turn out as yummy as the last 4 recipes have!

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2009 :  4:37:47 PM  Show Profile

Out of the oven & barely cool in my "pie hole".. Oh My! It is very good.. I used MJ original white bread recipe, but added cinnamon & raisins. (a handful of raisins & a couple tablespoons of cinnamon,. * sorry I did not measure*) next time I would add more cinnamon & maybe a tiny bit more honey. I made a total of 4 cups of sticky dough, The pan was nearly full...The pan I used is a new one that I got at the thrift. Its heavy duty 2 qt saucepan but not cast iron. I took the handle off for fear that it would melt, & It raised quite well almost over flowing after 6 hours in the partially covered pan with the lid ajar a bit* so I could put it in the oven. The top got a bit hard & crusty but I smeared butter over it and that made ita bit softer & really shiny. I wish you all could taste this. I doubt it will last long as Dh has already had two large pieces.

Cheryl
Farmgirl #309

Almost daily posts at:

Edited by - K-Falls Farmgirl on Feb 28 2009 4:41:01 PM
Go to Top of Page

gspringman
True Blue Farmgirl

387 Posts

Gail
Bonanza Oregon
USA
387 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2009 :  4:56:08 PM  Show Profile  Send gspringman a Yahoo! Message
Cheryl, your bread turned out beautiful, and yes my mouth is watering. I've made the sourdough now for two weeks and just started with white flour as I only had wheat when I got the first mother starter from you. I do want to try a cinnamon bread. Sounds gooooood.

gail #486
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2009 :  5:03:03 PM  Show Profile
I am hoping to have some left for Lunch on Wednesday at our "charming chick" chapter meeting.. maybe I should make more Tuesday...but no guarantees..

Cheryl
Farmgirl #309

Almost daily posts at:

Edited by - K-Falls Farmgirl on Feb 28 2009 5:04:28 PM
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2009 :  5:22:18 PM  Show Profile
Cheryl, that looks so yummy! I was going to try my 2nd loaf tomorrow and after seeing this I think I'll be doing a cinnamon raisin myself. Thanks for the nudge!

Audrey

Toto, we're not in Kansas any more!
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2009 :  8:03:41 PM  Show Profile
Cheryl, I have been baking on Wed. and Sat. I have made pizza twice, crackers twice, pancakes twice, the farmhouse white every several times and I made the raisin bread except I don't like raisins so I used dried cranberries instead. Yummy good. I was going to make the olive garlic bread today but don't have rye berries for flour. I went to fresh Market and got the kalamte olives, so I will have to fing some rye flour in the next few days.

I made pizza thurs. night. So it's ok to make bread or whatever any day now. I just add whatever I took out back in except on Sat. She rests then. But she's looking good so far.

Has anyone had their house smell a little like saurecraut (SP?)? Sometimes mine does. I couldn't figure out where the smell was coming from, but thought maybe it was the starter. It was really bubbly so I stirred it down and the smell went away. It was strange.

Happy baking ya'll. Kris

Turn your face to the sun and the shadows fall behind you. Maori proverb
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2009 :  8:07:20 PM  Show Profile
Wow, that looks so good Cheryl!

Mine, well they came out about the size and shape of grapefruit and were so crusty that they were hard to break or slice. But, the inside was yummy! Not giving up yet :) My husband informed me that he would like to try the pancakes next weekend. He can make those though, since I am not good at pancakes :)

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

Edited by - Calicogirl on Feb 28 2009 8:08:00 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Is today Bread making day? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page