julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2006 :  10:51:51 AM  Show Profile
Happy Saturday farmgirls.. I am in the conception stages of building a 7 circuit walking labrynth..Has anyone made one before? I have a few planning designs in mind but would love some input. I want it to be a place where people can come, walk the labrynth path in a meditative way..especially myself. I walked an 11 circuit path in San Francisco and it changed me somehow.. what are your thoughts?..many smiles to you, Julia Hayes

being simple to simply be

Whimsy_girl
True Blue Farmgirl

576 Posts

USA
576 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2006 :  1:27:10 PM  Show Profile
I can't find it now but there was a string of messages with some photos of some beautiful work.. they were more like swirling paths than an actual labrynth but someone in our forums did them herself... if anyone remembers what I am talking about and can direct me to that thread again, that would be great.

you can be oh so smart, or you can be oh so positive. I wasted a lot of time being smart I prefer being positive.
Go to Top of Page

Mrs Tiggywinkle
Farmgirl in Training

36 Posts

Sara
Spokane WA
USA
36 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2006 :  3:59:45 PM  Show Profile
I love labyrinths! I've only walked one once, but yes, it is really an experience. I wish I had room to make one, but I don't. I keep trying to get my mom to make one on her property- even gave her a book, but no luck so far.
There is one outside Spokane (off the Palouse Hwy) at Clare Ctr. Very funky- rocks, bricks & what-all, but it works just the same ;)
Here's a picture: http://www.clarecenter.org/Labyrinth.html

I think there's also one burned into the grass across the street from St John's Cathedral here.

Love, Sara

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
Go to Top of Page

julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2006 :  4:17:43 PM  Show Profile
Sara, thank you for the info..that is exactly what I had in mind..oooh now I feel completely inspired!! It didn't occur to me to use whatever may be lying around..that is exactly what I may do!! How fun!! Thanks..have a lovely evening! Julia Hayes

being simple to simply be
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2006 :  10:05:42 PM  Show Profile
there is a wonderful stone circle path in historic ellicot city, maryland with a meditation bench at the very center .. i've been wanting to build one every since seeing it several years ago (it's on my 'to do' list) .. ALSO .. when we visited Waldon Pond in New England .. we walked through a forest that had some of his poetry attached to trees as you walked along a pathway. (i forget exactly how it was done .. but it was weatherproof as i remember) .. that is something else i would love to do.

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

jenny louise
True Blue Farmgirl

166 Posts

jennifer
cass city MI
USA
166 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2006 :  06:15:55 AM  Show Profile
That was a neat sight, thanks, Sara. Some aquaintances used herb plants as the borders in theirs, but I wonder about the upkeep. So, what does happen with all of the grasses, etc. that grow up and through and in the labyrinth? Doesn't the path eventually disappear in years' accumulation of it? I am asking because we have alot of old stone rows in between the fields on our farm and some of them have all but 'sunken' into the ground.
I guess I am looking at it practicality-wise, cause it would be just me taking care of it, and I can barely keep the weeds at bay in my gardens!
Jenny in MI
Go to Top of Page

Julie R
Farmgirl in Training

18 Posts

Julie
Hyde Park Utah
USA
18 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2006 :  08:05:07 AM  Show Profile
I know that somewhere in my huge cache of home magazines is an article on labyrinths and how to build one... Sunset? Inspired House? Maybe it will turn up.

Re weeds--after you dig out the area for your labyrinth, you could lay in landscape cloth or even old carpeting to stop weed growth, then lay pavers on top of that, then mulch around pavers with sand, pea gravel or bark. You can make little "pockets" of soil and plantings wherever you want along your path. I don't know how deep you'll have to dig to lay a base for the pavers to avoid frost heave. Start making friends with guys who own backhoes now!
Go to Top of Page

MNFarmGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

52 Posts

USA
52 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2006 :  10:22:24 AM  Show Profile
I just love labrynths, when we were researching to make ours we found a couple good books at the library, so their are some books out there on how to design them. I would check your library. How neat for you, MNfarmgirl
Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2006 :  10:29:52 AM  Show Profile
one day when I have enough land I wnat to make a labrynth. It's so nice that you are doing this.

Blessed Be
www.sqrlbee.com www.sisterhood.sqrlbee.com

Go to Top of Page

westfork woman
True Blue Farmgirl

554 Posts

Kennie Lyn
Emmett Idaho
USA
554 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2006 :  3:29:28 PM  Show Profile
A layrynth would be so cool to have. Just think of going out into the early morning light, in your garden, and walking your way into a peaceful day. Just gives me goosebumps thinking about it. I have been interested for a couple of years. I think there was an article in Sunset magazine and then in one of the garden magazines. There is a small one painted on the parking lot of an Episcopal church in a town near us. One of these days when I find the time, I will go walk it.

Greetings from the morning side of the hill.
Go to Top of Page

Mrs Tiggywinkle
Farmgirl in Training

36 Posts

Sara
Spokane WA
USA
36 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2006 :  07:15:23 AM  Show Profile
Looking @ the picture, I see what you mean about weeds. When I was there, it was late summer & totally bare. It's kind of on a dry (not too steep) hillside. So I don't know if the walking keeps the weeds down, or if they have volunteers pull the weeds, or how they control it. Landscaping cloth (like the kind MJ mentions in her book) would be an excellent idea- esp since you could draw out the labyrinth on it.

Love, Sara

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2006 :  12:09:13 PM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
I think it's our Eileeen who has one on her property, maybe you could email her for info. Or was it Clare...well one of them was a fountain of info.Try emailing them.
Go to Top of Page

Susie Q
True Blue Farmgirl

122 Posts

Susan
So. California
USA
122 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2006 :  09:31:36 AM  Show Profile
I just bought a book two weeks ago on labyrinths.
LABYRINTHS - Ancient Paths of Wisdom and Peace by Virginia Westbury (ISBN# 0-306-81310-6) It's so interesting. It focus' on the history, it's uses, the variety of paterns, the many ways they have been constructed, where many are located around the world and in the US. It also has a resource guide with websites, orginizations and builders.

I got it at my local Barnes and Noble for $6 in their marked off section. They may have it online.

Edited by - Susie Q on Jan 19 2006 10:16:51 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic making a walking labrynth Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page