Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Quilts Next Topic  

Especially For You
True Blue Farmgirl

541 Posts

Tina
Watkinsville GA
541 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2009 :  05:18:08 AM  Show Profile
Does anyon epay to have their quilts quilted by a professional?
And if how much do you pay,by the square inch, pattern,quilt size.
Thanks,

Tina~455

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2009 :  06:04:53 AM  Show Profile
I have paid to have quilts professionally done. It varies depending on the machine quilter. I have paid over $100 to have a special design done on about a double size quilt , I know some people charge by the square inch, but I usually ask for a ballpark figure before I surrender a quilt. I haven't been able to send one in for quilting for a long time which is why I have so many tops. If you check the back of quilting magazines there are usually lots of ads for machine quilters.

Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

cinnamongirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1682 Posts

Carrie

Canada
1682 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2009 :  06:34:22 AM  Show Profile
A lot depends on their experience as a machine quilter a newer one will charge less if you know someone and trust them. It does take awhile to get the skill right. I would say you are looking at 100.00 and up it also depends on design and size of your quilt. Go to your local quilt shops for recomendations. Best to find one in your area especially if you quilt a lot.
Or are you thinking of doing this?
Go to Top of Page

Especially For You
True Blue Farmgirl

541 Posts

Tina
Watkinsville GA
541 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2009 :  06:45:21 AM  Show Profile
I am doing this for people around her. Mostly friends and girls in my quilting guild. Someone said I should start doing this as a home based business. i just don't know what to charge. May Dad left me some money when he died and always wanted me to start my own business. Soooooo.... I just don't know, doing it for friends is one thing but to do it for money, well....

Tina~#455
Go to Top of Page

cinnamongirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1682 Posts

Carrie

Canada
1682 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2009 :  07:02:40 AM  Show Profile
Tina are you machine quilting? I wouldn't start to much lower then 100 it would depend on your experince. The bigger the quilt the more they charge and most of the time I find they will help you decide on pattern of what looks good. Of course the harder that is they will add in. I would check my area to see what others are charging and if noone does it you could charge whatever. Keep a portfolio of your work. You can always raise your prices after you build clientel to. Also advertise at your quilt shops. Goodluck with your new buisness it is one of my dreams to do.
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2009 :  07:08:44 AM  Show Profile
I found a professional source for quilt finishing on this site and sent a quilt to her and she had her Amish family members do the work and returned it to me, and it was wonderful. It cost me about four hundred dollars and that was for a queen quilt. I had the batting and the backing and the thread all ready to give her. All was hand done.

Her name is Ruby Nelson, and she used to post here....perhaps she could be a source of knowledge for you!

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3322 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3322 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2009 :  09:17:12 AM  Show Profile
I restore vintage quilts...have for years. The first one I did was a queen size quilt called Trip around the World with 1-inch squares it took me almost 2-years to hand quilt all those tiny little squares She paid me $800.00 to complete it. At the time it made me very nervous having her quilt in my house with small kids...even though I had my front room where I had all my quilting. But, we needed the money at the time and I wasn't working outside the home. I have only restored a handful of quilts for someone else, but I enjoyed it soooo much.

I am always looking for vintage tops if anyone has any out there for sale let me know! I'd appreciate it. For trade or cash

Melody

Edited by - melody on Feb 25 2009 09:18:43 AM
Go to Top of Page

Especially For You
True Blue Farmgirl

541 Posts

Tina
Watkinsville GA
541 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2009 :  2:31:12 PM  Show Profile
Melody,
I have a quilt, its old but it is a full quilt. It is in need of tender loving care. If you would like it I will send it to you.

Carrie,
I have huge quilting machine and frame it will due up to a king size quilt. Thanks for all the suggestions. I will start keep a portfolio of my patterns that i will do. Right now I have several t-shirt quilts that I am working on for the softball team.

Tina
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3322 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3322 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2009 :  5:07:07 PM  Show Profile
Tina, Do you want me to repair it?

Send me an e-mail okay?

Melody
http://melodynotes-melodynotes.blogspot.com
www.bythebayhandcraftedsoap.com
www.lemonverbenasoap.etsy.com
www.andsewitgoes.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

cinnamongirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1682 Posts

Carrie

Canada
1682 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2009 :  6:17:20 PM  Show Profile
Tina you lucky girl! I would do it at home to if I had one.
Some of you girls sure pay a hefty price but I guess it depends where you live or how far you ship.

Have you checked pricing in town Tina you can do it on telephone.
Keep pics of your work to in your portfolio
After things start getting busy do you need a buisness license there cause here you can write off a lot on your taxes when you do. Food for thought

Here we also have to baste the layers before people will take them.

Let us know how things go and anything else we can help with ask
Go to Top of Page

Janneane Hazlip
True Blue Farmgirl

67 Posts

Janneane
Fort Scott Kansas
USA
67 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2009 :  7:29:32 PM  Show Profile
Tina, last year I sent a pieced quilt (85.25x97)=8269 square inches to be machine quilted. She charged 13 cents/square inch. I provided the backing. She provided the batting at $5.00 yard. She did a French fold binding at .08cents per inch. Total fee $149.15. I later sent her an embroidered quilt that had a lot of plain white background and required more quiting it was .15cents per square inch.
I gave her free reign and was thrilled with the results. She did lots of close machine quilting. Hope this helps. Janneane
Go to Top of Page

Especially For You
True Blue Farmgirl

541 Posts

Tina
Watkinsville GA
541 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2009 :  12:39:21 PM  Show Profile
Thanks girls that does help. I realy apreciate the good advice.

Tina
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Quilts Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page