janiee
True Blue Farmgirl

820 Posts

Janie
Shawnee Oklahoma
USA
820 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2009 :  12:04:01 PM  Show Profile
I was just wondering if there is such a thing as herbs for the "effects" of menopause? I had to have surgery a few years ago and have been on hormones ever since. I would really like to get off of the hormones but I don't know where to even start with replacements....I take kelp for my thyroid problems and my levels have been "normal" for over a year so now I want to replace the hormones with something healthier too...any ideas? when I don't take the hormones I get really bad hot flashes...enough that I have to change clothes several times during the day and at night...
janiee
farmgirl #390

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3320 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3320 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2009 :  2:41:42 PM  Show Profile
UGGGH....I had what they call a surgical menopause (hysterectomy) 6 years ago. I wore "the patch" for only 2 months. I hated it. I never really had any trouble with hot flashes thank goodness. What about Black Kohosh? I have never used it, but I have read about it and there is a lot of info on line. Be sure to talk to your Dr. before trying anything OTC first!
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4740 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4740 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2009 :  5:21:46 PM  Show Profile
I take one Black Cohosh a day and it works perfectly for me. It really helps with my PMS and I rarely ever have hot flashes.

I agree you should discuss it with your doctor first. Mine told me to keep taking the Black Cohosh. Good luck on finding a herbal remedy that works for you.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

janiee
True Blue Farmgirl

820 Posts

Janie
Shawnee Oklahoma
USA
820 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2009 :  06:12:09 AM  Show Profile
thanks girls, I know my doc has been worried about blood clots (side effect of hormones i take) so he might be happy with the black cohosh instead....i know i could be happier with it! :)
janiee
farmgirl #390
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4740 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4740 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2009 :  07:53:00 AM  Show Profile
I forgot to mention that I also take St. John's Wort for memory and focus. I don't know if it works for anyone else, but it does wonders for me!

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2009 :  1:09:16 PM  Show Profile
Would herbs for Menopause be the same as for Perimenopause? I am 45 and am dealing with the mood swings, hot flashes and all that fun stuff :) I have heard that Evening primrose Oil is good to take for it. Has anyone tried that? I would appreciate any help and input :)

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

Go to Top of Page

Wildcrafter
True Blue Farmgirl

340 Posts

Suzanne
Seattle WA
USA
340 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2009 :  09:35:41 AM  Show Profile
I drink one glass of soy milk, eat a half a yam, take 10 drops of my Lover Your Liver tincture and take 1 tablespoon of Barleen's essential woman which is flax/evening primrose each day.
I've gone from having a short temper and no fuse, panic attacks, fear, felt like I was losing my mind, flooding each period to feeling pretty sane most of the time. And 2 periods with no flooding. I've been doing this for about 7 weeks now and started feeling improvement the second week.
Yeah, 2 periods in 7 weeks. But at least I didn't lose all the blood in my body on the first 2 days!
I woke up on January 1st and it was 2009.
And it's been that way ever since!

www.goodnaturedearthling.com
Cedar Mountain Herb School

Edited by - Wildcrafter on Feb 26 2009 09:37:11 AM
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2009 :  4:06:40 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the tips Suzanne :)

~Sharon

Go to Top of Page

Wildcrafter
True Blue Farmgirl

340 Posts

Suzanne
Seattle WA
USA
340 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2009 :  4:13:40 PM  Show Profile
You're welcome. This seems to be working for me. For now. I may have to adjust. I tell you, I don't mind any of it, except a half a yam a day.....there are only so many ways to cook a yam!

Go to Top of Page

TheresaB
True Blue Farmgirl

393 Posts

Theresa
Loveland Colorado
USA
393 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2009 :  12:57:46 PM  Show Profile
Janie,

Could you tell me about the kelp? My thyroid levels are not clinically enough to be treated by my hmo, but at 4.3 I would be treated by a naturopath if I could afford one. I just got some coconut oil to take as it is supposed to really help with hypothyroid. I've tried many different things for perimenopause/pmdd symptoms. Dr.'s told me I need a hysterectomy, have had endometriosis since I was a teen. What helps me, bioidentical progesterone cream (I use Beeyoutiful Balance), and WishGarden herbal tinctures (CrampRelief and PMS Emotional) these contain black cohosh, scullcap, motherwort, wild yam root, crampbark, vitex berry, burdock root, and st. johns wort flower extract.

Theresa in Colorado
Proud Farmgirl Sister #124
www.thegypsysdaughter.etsy.com
www.thegypsysdaughter.blogspot.com

"I see skies of blue, clouds of white, the bright blessed day, the dark sacred night, and I think to myself, "What a Wonderful World!" ~ Louis Armstrong
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4740 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4740 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2009 :  1:21:12 PM  Show Profile
Sharon, I'm 48 and have been using the black cohosh and St. John's Wort for a couple of years now. They have made a huge difference in my temper (much to my families delight), hot flashes, and memory/focus loss. Talk to your doctor to see what he/she thinks might work for you. Then again, don't be surprised if he/she is clueless about herbal medicines, many western doctors are.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2009 :  2:35:16 PM  Show Profile
Thank you Dawn!

Janie, I didn't mean to hijack your post. I'm sorry!

~Sharon

Go to Top of Page

Wildcrafter
True Blue Farmgirl

340 Posts

Suzanne
Seattle WA
USA
340 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2009 :  2:38:41 PM  Show Profile
Check out ryandrum.com
He has a lot of information on seaweed and the thyroid. And particularly, the correct seaweed for normalizing it.
I know him personally and can vouch that his information is good.

Edited by - Wildcrafter on Feb 27 2009 2:39:15 PM
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9382 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9382 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2009 :  4:31:16 PM  Show Profile
I have used natural progesterone for quite awhile now and it helps with the hot flashes and with the mood swings. We call it the happy cream around here. It is the only thing I use besides my organic Greens Today women's formula. No more night sweats either.

Denise
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

EnchantedWoodsGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

959 Posts

Kathy
New Jersey
USA
959 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2009 :  6:49:50 PM  Show Profile
There are some wonderful discussions and articles on herbs for menopause at www.susunweed.com - she also has a wonderful book on it.
Herbal infusions are wonderful for you also - red clover, milky oats, nettles - as infusions and some tinctures to consider would be Motherwort, black cohosh - but go check out Susun Weed's site!
Kathy of the Enchanted Wood

Kathy of the Enchanted Wood
Farmgirl Sister #59
http://enchantedwoodmusings.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

KD Earthwork
True Blue Farmgirl

210 Posts

Katie
Gualala Calif.
USA
210 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2009 :  11:55:24 AM  Show Profile
Suzanne,Wildcrafter, So great to see the flooding topic discussed.I'm 48 and having my second period in seven weeks and badly flooding.Since I'm already boderline anamic all the time I'm a little worried.I love Susun Weeds books and will get that.Any other suggestions for flooding specifically?I will try black cohosh and st johns wort.Should this take care of it?
Don't like doctors at all... Katie
Go to Top of Page

Wildcrafter
True Blue Farmgirl

340 Posts

Suzanne
Seattle WA
USA
340 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2009 :  12:15:34 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by katie pence-robbins

Suzanne,Wildcrafter, So great to see the flooding topic discussed.I'm 48 and having my second period in seven weeks and badly flooding.Since I'm already boderline anamic all the time I'm a little worried.I love Susun Weeds books and will get that.Any other suggestions for flooding specifically?I will try black cohosh and st johns wort.Should this take care of it?
Don't like doctors at all... Katie

I've had really great success with stopping the flooding with the regime of soy, yam, liver tincture, etc. that I wrote in my first post. I have had 3 periods now with no flooding at all. I do this every day. I'm very happy with the results. You have to be consistent with herbs and foods for success. Just trying things for a day or two or three isn't enough.
Nettles, dock, dandelions are high in iron.
St. John's Wort doesn't do a thing for flooding. It's used for emotional issues and nerve related pain.
It's a good idea to read carefully all information. Something was written about motherwort for dealing with emotional issues. This plant works very well for that. It's botanical name is Leonurus cardiaca...lion hearted! Also, motherwort...wort meaning plant, it's the plant of the mother. Mother's hugs and unconditional love in times of stress....this is what this plant brings. However and as a big caveat.....it can make flooding worse as it promotes bleeding. Not to be taken if a woman is flooding at the time of the flooding. During other times of emotional stress, fine. I will use it during my period when I have terrible cramps as a phenomenal relief of cramping in exchange for knowing I will have to change my pads more.
----------------------------------------------------------

http://goodnaturedearthling.wordpress.com/

Edited by - Wildcrafter on Mar 29 2009 12:21:01 PM
Go to Top of Page

KayB
True Blue Farmgirl

540 Posts

Kay
Del City Oklahoma
USA
540 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2009 :  2:36:38 PM  Show Profile
I hit perimenopause in my mid 40s and the mood swings were unholy! My kids were threatening to put me away and I don't know why my husband didn't just shoot me. I went to the VA for help - and didn't get any. The first thing they did was put me on Zoloft and that made things worse. Then the put me premarin and protesterone - which means counting certain days to take the progesterone and by the way, what does pregnant mare's urine have to do with my body? I finally found, through Suzanne Somers of all people, that the answer to my problems was bioidentical hormones. It took a while to find a doctor and you need a compounding pharmacy, but it is so worth it. I feel human again. I understand the hormones contain natural substances - such as the soy, yams, etc. I take one twice daily and my hubby says he can tell when I've skipped a couple just by my mood. That could be an option. Also, our insurance pays for it, I just make a co-pay every month.

I felt that was so much easier. I tried the black cohosh and it didn't really work. I couldn't really stand the soy milk and I really hate yams. Now, when I have do have a period, I don't cramp or flood or do 2 periods in a week (I used to go really heavy for 3 days, quit for a day or 2, then go again for another week. Army docs said hormonal thing, get used to it.)

That's just another option.

KayB

Life's a dance you learn as you go
Go to Top of Page
  Herbal Wisdom: Previous Topic herbs for menopause? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page