Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 I need some advice...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic I need some advice... Next Topic  

country roads
True Blue Farmgirl

443 Posts

Melissa
Shinglehouse Pa
USA
443 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2009 :  10:25:48 AM  Show Profile
My daughter wants me to make her some peasant type blouses. I have never sewn anything from a pattern before, let alone any kind of clothing...YIKES!!! Which companies have the best(easiest) patterns for a newbie to figure out? Any help at all would be great.

Take care, Melissa.

Farmgirl # 352

~Think happy thoughts~

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2009 :  11:25:41 AM  Show Profile
HI Melissa,
I have found that Walmart has a brand called Sew Easy. They seems to be one of the lest difficult patterns to follow. Id definitly recommend them for a beginnner.
Good luck with your new project. It is always so much fun learning something new!
hugs

Jessie
Farmgirl Sister #235

"Certain thoughts are prayers.There are moments when, whatever be the attitude of the body, the soul is on its knees"--V.Hugo

Stop by my blog for a visit www.messiejessie2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2009 :  1:15:43 PM  Show Profile
I agree with Jessie, Sew Easy is easy. Also, you might go to a good fabric shop and see if you can get some assistance. If you where close I would gladly sit with you thru your first project. Remember, breathe and keep asking questions, I am sure we can help you thru it even if we have to do it thru emails.

Good luck - I remember my first pheasant blouse - 1975 and I also made a pair of bell bottom pants to go with it... Oh my God - I am getting old!!

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

country roads
True Blue Farmgirl

443 Posts

Melissa
Shinglehouse Pa
USA
443 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2009 :  9:02:59 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Jessie and Grace,
I will check the Sew Easy patterns and see what they have to offer. I'm sure I'll be back with many more questions that hopefully you'll be able to answer :) I just hope I'm not getting in over my head!! Wish me luck!

Take care, Melissa.

Farmgirl # 352

~Think happy thoughts~
Go to Top of Page

vintagediva1
True Blue Farmgirl

1251 Posts

Michele
Brighton Michigan
USA
1251 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2009 :  1:48:41 PM  Show Profile
wow Grace,
What a picture THAT post brought to mind. Did you also have long straight hair, parted in the middle? I think I might have known ya!!!! ha

Love that good ole vintage junk
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2009 :  3:10:58 PM  Show Profile
Yes that was me - hair to my butt, with the tiny braids in the front and tied in the back (can you believe I saw that style at the Oscars) I also had those bell bottoms that where so big they looked more like skirts. Oh the days..... There back again and I just laugh when I see kids dressed in the clothes we wore - everything old is new again.... except my knees, back and thinning hair

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Jana
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Jana
Eau Claire Wisconsin
USA
482 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2009 :  04:19:40 AM  Show Profile
Melissa,

I would stick with companies like McCall's or Simplicity. Look for patterns that say EASY on the envelope or the ones that say they take 1 or 2 hours to do. It may take YOU longer at this point, but mainly they don't have a lot of pieces. Hope this is the beginning of a wonderful hobby for you!

Jana
Go to Top of Page

country roads
True Blue Farmgirl

443 Posts

Melissa
Shinglehouse Pa
USA
443 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2009 :  9:29:48 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Jana,
I'm hoping to get to the store this weekend so I can pick out a pattern. My daughter can't wait to pick out the material. Do the patterns tell you approximately how much material you will need? I'm sure this is just the beginning of the questions to come! :) So I sure hope you have lots of patience! :D

Take care, Melissa.

Farmgirl # 352

~Think happy thoughts~
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic I need some advice... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page