Suzan
True Blue Farmgirl

659 Posts

suzanne
duncannon pa
USA
659 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2009 :  07:42:49 AM  Show Profile
Anyone else hate to clean these? Any suggestions for what works well? thinking baking soda and vinegar, anyone try that yet? This is the most hated job in the house...

Jennie From Maine
Farmgirl in Training

12 Posts

Jennifer
Monmouth Maine
USA
12 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2009 :  07:54:04 AM  Show Profile

I use baking soda and good hot water. A brush or a scrubbie helps alot too. This is one of my most dreaded jobs too.
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4737 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4737 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2009 :  08:12:01 AM  Show Profile
I just use water and vinegar in a spray bottle and wipe down. I would think the baking soda would make you scrub harder. Good luck with whatever you use.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

Diane B Carter
True Blue Farmgirl

1270 Posts

Diane
Blasdell N.Y.
USA
1270 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2009 :  10:56:56 AM  Show Profile
I know this is not a green solution but I found if you put a very small amount of Goo Gone on a paper towel and wash down the doors depending on how bad they are, you may have to do this twice. No Scrubbing required!! But be careful it is slippery and you don't want to slip in the tub. Thats why you only want to use a little. Lemon oil is also good to use after its clean, just wipe it down. Oil and water won't mix so your doors stay a lot cleaner.

Hope all your days are Sunnydays.
dianebcarterhotmailcom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

RuralSuburbia
True Blue Farmgirl

251 Posts

Leslie
Northern CA
USA
251 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2009 :  11:40:00 AM  Show Profile
I HATE cleaning showers and tubs! I tried using vinegar, but I am sorely disappointed in vinegar as a cleaner. I use a scrubby sponge and Bon Ami, it's like comet but it's earth friendly. You just have to rinse really well. I only scrub once a month, otherwise I just wipe down the walls and glass with Method spray cleaners.
I keep waiting for the maid to come clean the bathrooms here, but she never shows, so I have to do it myself. lol

*I've got stars in my eyes and exactly $1 in my pocket!*
Go to Top of Page

Suzan
True Blue Farmgirl

659 Posts

suzanne
duncannon pa
USA
659 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2009 :  2:04:11 PM  Show Profile
Well, I'm still ignoring it, I think the best solution would be to convince hubby to do it...
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2009 :  2:16:07 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
One tip is after you get done cleaning the showers and doors, rub a little veg oil shortening onto any surface you won't stand on. Then buff really well with a rag. This will leave a very thin layer of oil that is easily washed away next time you clean, but will help keep water spots and soap scum from "Setting in".

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Sagewood
True Blue Farmgirl

106 Posts

South Carolina
106 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2009 :  5:48:00 PM  Show Profile  Send Sagewood a Yahoo! Message
This is probably going to sound crazy, but here's how I clean our shower and shower doors. DAILY! Yep, but there's a trick. (ours are fiberglass with glass doors too)
Here's the way I figure it..there are 3 walls, two doors and a floor right? So every time I take a shower, I clean ONE wall. (Use Bon Ami, your favorite cleaner, whatever) BUT ..do it while you're in the shower. I start my shower, wash my hair (letting the steam get the walls all 'soaked' for a min) then wash ONE wall, rinse and finish my shower.(I keep one scrungy specificaly for shower wall scrubbing!) The next day, I do the next wall and I keep doing this every day, till all the walls and doors are done for that week. It's a rotation. I have certain jobs I do every day of the week, and Monday's are my "BBL" days..Bedroom, Bathroom and Laundry. Sooo on Monday's I clean the shower floor only..the rest is done as explained above. Crazy huh? LOL..yeah probably, but it works for me! (takes me only about 3 minutes)

Sage,
Visit Sagewood Blog
http://sagewoodfarm.blogspot.com/

The Hedgewife
Are you a Hedgewife?
http://hedgewife.blogspot.com/

Edited by - Sagewood on Mar 09 2009 5:49:01 PM
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2009 :  7:41:08 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
That doesn't sound crazy at all! On chore day (usually Fridays around here) I scrub the shower while I am in it too. Then I can rinse of any cleaner on me, and the shower at the same time and I don't get frustrated that my clothes got wet!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Ann Jorgensen
Farmgirl at Heart

2 Posts

Ann
Deer Park WA
USA
2 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2009 :  4:08:15 PM  Show Profile
I also do the one wall per day, but I use an inexpensive shampoo and exfoliating gloves that I buy at the dollar store. A loofa would work as well. The shampoo seems to be good at getting through all the scum and the gloves make it quick and easy. The gloves also rinse quickly and hold enough water to rinse the foam off.

www.greatgrandmotherskitchen.com
www.annsplace.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

doglady
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Tina
Howard Ohio
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2009 :  11:03:25 AM  Show Profile
Suzanne, I've been trying the hubby method but he keeps putting it off too because he hates the tub and shower as much as I do.

Tina

You can tell your dog all of your secrets and they'll never say a word!
www.kennelcreations.com
Go to Top of Page

Suzan
True Blue Farmgirl

659 Posts

suzanne
duncannon pa
USA
659 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2009 :  11:32:42 AM  Show Profile
yep, Tina, that's what's happening here, too.
Go to Top of Page

Diane B Carter
True Blue Farmgirl

1270 Posts

Diane
Blasdell N.Y.
USA
1270 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2009 :  1:41:02 PM  Show Profile
Sagewood, I tried your way of cleaning the shower and it's great.I just started and we have an old tub, it looks better everytime I take a shower so in a few weeks it should look great. I still like goo-gone just a little on a clean paper towel wiped on the shower doors, but if I keep doing it your way I won't need the goo-gone. Thanks for sharing that.

Hope all your days are Sunnydays.
dianebcarterhotmailcom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Sagewood
True Blue Farmgirl

106 Posts

South Carolina
106 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2009 :  05:45:23 AM  Show Profile  Send Sagewood a Yahoo! Message
You're very welcome Diane! It's just something you get into the habit of doing, doesn't take more then a few minutes and I figure the time isn't counted cuz I'm already IN the shower! WAY TO GO!!

Sage,
Visit Sagewood Blog
http://sagewoodfarm.blogspot.com/

The Hedgewife
Are you a Hedgewife?
http://hedgewife.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

LouisvilleMom
True Blue Farmgirl

246 Posts

Kathryn
Louisville KY
USA
246 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2009 :  5:06:42 PM  Show Profile
Use an old dryer sheet. The fibers scrub off the gunk. Use a little soap and it works better. Dry and apply some veggie or mineral oil to keep it from sticking (just be careful you don't get it on the floor).

SAHM mom to four great boys.

http://ksfarnsworth.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Merry
True Blue Farmgirl

765 Posts

Merry
Ankeny Iowa
USA
765 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2009 :  7:32:56 PM  Show Profile
Sage,