farm~maid
True Blue Farmgirl

176 Posts

Christine
IN
USA
176 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2009 :  06:12:05 AM  Show Profile
Today, we officially begin our 2009 Spring Calf Watch on our little farm. (Actually, we've been watching.) We have 3 due this week, with 5 total for this year. Now we'll have to wait and see as it depends on if I've figured due dates accurately.
As the ever-changing weather of the great Midwest would have it, we have temps in the teens and it's snowing like crazy right now. Not a good time for a calf to be born, but that's probably when it will happen - just how things go around this farm.
My 2 month vacation from daily milking will soon come to an end. It will be great to have fresh milk again and all the goodness that comes with it - butter, yogurt, cheeses...... Just wish we had some piglets to help us drink all this milk.

Anyway, we're praying for better weather and for easy deliveries and healthy cows and calves.

Christine

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2009 :  1:33:23 PM  Show Profile
Oh Christine! How well I know the anxiety that comes with sweet babies! I try not to breed my animals for Winter or Summer births-- but THIS year the animals took matters into their own "hands," so to speak. At least he GOATS did anyway! My bucks got out in August and I thought we had dodged a bullet. Well, that was WISHFUL thinking on MY part!

4 does kidded in January (I NEVER have babies in January!!). One doe had her twins during a stretch of GORGEOUS, dry, 70* weather. A few weeks later, another doe kidded on a cement slab behind the barn in 30* weather! We lost all four of her babies. My middle son and I wrestled the other two VERY pregnant does to the barn, penned them up and they had their babies a few days apart from one another in the warm, dry barn. (We still lost ONE from a set of triplets-- A first time mom. The other doe had healthy quads-- YIKES!!!! 13 babies in all! And only 3 of them GIRLS! (Only one girl survived out of the 8 that made it)

In the next few months-- MORE kids will be coming (Oh noooo!!!!! Another "Unauthorized" breeding session here on the farm!), lambs (which I'm an old hand at) and a CALF!!! (Which I know NOTHING about!). The cows are my husbands. I was SOOOO MAD when he got them!

Still, I worry about that cow. She's had babies before, I guess, but I'VE never had calves before! So what do I look for? How will I know she's close? Any suggestions? Any ADVICE? All would be appreciated. Hope YOUR calvings go well!!!! ~~~ Hugs ~~~ Tracy

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2009 :  4:45:00 PM  Show Profile
Christine, how fun. I sure hope all goes well and you have healthy calves and good mommas, too. And they will probably all have them on the coldest nights, too. They do around here.

Do you have Jersey's? I am getting milk right now from a friend who has 2. I have goats, so when they all kid I'll be in the goat business again. I like cow milk, but goat is my favorite. Especially when it's right out in my back yard!

Have you been on the Family Cow forum. Lots of cow people over there. Lots of good info. They have a thread now for Feb. calf watch. Lots of babies being born. You should check it out if you haven't already.

Be sure and take pics and show them all off. I hope you get lots of heifers, too.

Kris

Turn your face to the sun and the shadows fall behind you. Maori proverb
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4221 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4221 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2009 :  03:55:51 AM  Show Profile
Doing the same thing here in Wisconsin. Herd check at least twice a day, usually more.

Michele
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2009 :  06:25:53 AM  Show Profile
I hope we keep this one going. And with lots of pics, too!

Michele, what kind do you have? It sounds like you may have a dairy? You have probably already said something about it, but with my short memory...

Kris

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2009 :  06:30:17 AM  Show Profile
Michele and Christine, ya'll will probably know this. I have an 8 month old heifer. Just lately I can't go into the pasture with her. She just about knocks me down and I am afraid she will hurt me bad. And I don't like to be hurt.

Do you think it's because she could be in heat already? I have a steer in with her. They were raised together. He does try to mount her sometimes. I love her and would like to be able to get closer to her, but I just don't think it's a good idea right now.

And will she always be this way? Very rambunctious. Lots of big head movements and running up to me. Help!

Kris

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4221 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4221 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2009 :  09:58:44 AM  Show Profile
I have herefords and my jersey's. Right now I have 16 beef. Had to get rid of half last fall, due to short on hay. I have my cow, a heifer, and a steer in the Jersey breed. So I don't have too many. Made the work a bit lighter this winter.
Kris, is your heifer just running up to you to be friendly, and getting a little rough? If that is the case she needs to learn who is boss. Telling her NO loudly, and wacking her on the nose, if she still keeps coming. She certainly could of been in heat already. You would know the difference, if she stands for the steer or moves out right away. He would also be her best friend for a couple days when she is in heat. He would be on her alot. The easiest way to make friends with her would be to get her in a small pen or corral, and brush her and get her used to you. Hanging on to a bucket of grain won't work, cause they can get pretty pushy for the grain. Good luck
Michele
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2009 :  2:39:18 PM  Show Profile
Michele, I have had her and the steer since they were both a few hours old. Bottle fed them and they have always been very friendly. It's just been the last few weeks that Maize has been this way. I was out there last week trying to get them from one pasture to another with some grain and she just about attacked me. It was a ltiile scary with her on one side and him on the other. I finally threw the bucket down and ran. I usually carry a stick in with me but didn't have it then. I also have quit feeding grain. They just get hay and grass now. So she could have been wanting a little bit more than that. I do use a curry comb on them and they love that. They get upset when I stop. But they are both so sweet most of the time. They are getting so big though.

Kris

Go to Top of Page

farm~maid
True Blue Farmgirl

176 Posts

Christine
IN
USA
176 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2009 :  4:23:55 PM  Show Profile
Still no calves here. My dates might be a bit off. Our little milker is sure looking ready.
We have Dexters that we raise for meat and milk. We usually have a couple of Holstein and/or Jersey steers running around, too.

Tracy, you sure have your hands full with all those kids. They sure are cute babies! Sorry to hear that you lost a couple. I know it happens, but it's still sad. I don't think I'll ever get used to it.
As far as watching for signs of calving, I'm not an expert. We just watch for them to start bagging up and ours always seem to want to be off by themselves. I know the area above the tail (sorry I can't remember the correct terms) will start to change and almost indent.
The Dexter breed is suppose to be easy calving and we have found this to be true. We're praying for the same this year. I know that some breeds tend to have more difficult births and sometimes require assistance from you or a vet. Good luck.

Michele, your weather is just as bad as ours here in IN. Wish it would warm up. Nature took care of the breeding this year as we were just too busy to keep track of things. Not a good excuse, but that's what happened.

Kris, I think some cows just tend to be a bit more like you described. We have some that are so very tame and others that are friendly, yet they want to be boss. Carrying a stick and letting her know you are in charge might help.

Christine
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2009 :  4:52:21 PM  Show Profile
I am so jealous..I love love love baby season and won't have ANY this year! Mona (my Jersey milk cow) calved so so late last year (halloween!!) that she won't be bred this year until June or so...for a Spring 2010 baby (hopefully I can get her bred WAY earlier than last time!) and I didn't get a ram for my ewes last year either..sigh. So I will still be milking her quite some time this year...we won't go down to once a day for at least another month..and then will keep milking through summertime, and maybe into fall.
We will have to live through YOUR experience this year...so keep us informed about your babies!!!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2009 :  7:45:21 PM  Show Profile
Oh... come on down to MY house Aunt Jenny!!! You can take home ALLLLLL the babies you want!! Honestly, I LOVE them too, but there are getting to be sooooo many animals here that it's getting to be quite a chore taking care of them all.

I was out playing with the kids today (our first day with no rain in nearly a WEEK!) and I got to looking at my OTHER goat girls. I put two in the pen with the mamas and babies--- just in case (but I think they have a ways to go yet), but it looks like there are MORE pregnant girls than I originaly thought! I had my suspicions about two other girls (besides the ones I'd already corraled), but today I think one of my VERY young girls is pregnant!! She won't be a year old until JUNE!!! I'm so hoping I'm wrong. She's waaaay too young to be a mama! And the daddy would be her GRANDPA! (YIKES!!!)

sigh.... never have I been SOOOO blessed. I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed. What do I DO with all of them? The lambs are not a problem to sell, but the goats are a different story. help.........?!!!

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2009 :  9:39:31 PM  Show Profile
I have had years like that TRacey. I am such a wreck when I wait for babies to be born that I just don't get sleep at all usually in the spring. THAT is one part I don't miss. (the no sleep) I get little enough as it is..haha
I really should buy a ram lamb this year so this dosn't happen to me next year!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

farm~maid
True Blue Farmgirl

176 Posts

Christine
IN
USA
176 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2009 :  2:39:00 PM  Show Profile
They're here! Well, at least 2 of the calves. We were greeted with the first one early this morning when we went out for chores. The second calf was born late this afernoon. Both seem healthy and the mommas are doing well. They are both black and we think they are both bulls. I was really wishing the one would have a heifer, but we'll take healthy anyday. I'll give posting pics a whirl tomorrow.
DH and I are dreaming of the fresh milk - won't be long now.

Christine
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2009 :  5:05:27 PM  Show Profile
Yay!!! How exciting!! I know you are probably so relieved.
So you have one more to go??? Hopefully THAT will be your heifer calf! I got a bull calf this year too. So far it has alternated...bull then heifer then bull...so I am PLANNING on a heifer next time..haha. But like you said..healthy is what is most important!
Can't wait to see the photos!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2009 :  5:58:06 PM  Show Profile
I am glad the calves are healthy and mommas are doing good. I hope you're able to post the pictures. I love to see new calves. They are so cute.

Kris

Go to Top of Page

Mother Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Cindy
Peck ID
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2009 :  11:05:58 PM  Show Profile
Christine, congrats on the calves. Sure wish I lived near you, I would love to get some "fresh cow milk". We have cows but they are beef cows and my DH won't let me get a milk cow since his parents had a dairy and he hates being that tied down. I, on the other hand, don't usually go anywhere very far that often, and I haven't had fresh cow milk in 35 years (I was a kid and we lived near a dairy). Boy I sure miss that milk, would love for my daughter to try it. Alas, maybe someday.

Cindy

I will bless the Lord at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth. Psalms 34:1
Go to Top of Page

Mother Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Cindy
Peck ID
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2009 :  11:07:30 PM  Show Profile
Tracy, don't you have a livestock auction near you? You shouldn't have any problem selling the goats there, either milk goats or meat goats. We have meat goats and that's where we sell our wethers and old nannies.

Cindy

I will bless the Lord at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth. Psalms 34:1
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2009 :  5:57:01 PM  Show Profile
Right now, goats at the auction are selling for about $10-$20 each. Not even worth the gas to take them there, plus, I'd rather they didn't get EATEN!!!! They're just TOO CUTE and SWEET!!!

Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Calf watch Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page