melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3318 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3318 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2009 :  3:45:19 PM  Show Profile
Baked bread this afternoon. I wanted to use organic wheat flour but when I checked the price at our local supermarket I almost fainted. $8.59 for a 5-lb bag of flour....Isn't that kinda high?

I ended up buying regular wheat flour and using that instead....4 small rustic looking loaves. Ahhh the smell of freshly baked bread. Nothing quite like it

Melody
http://melodynotes-melodynotes.blogspot.com
www.bythebayhandcraftedsoap.com
www.lemonverbenasoap.etsy.com
www.andsewitgoes.etsy.com

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2009 :  4:41:18 PM  Show Profile
Melody- That sounds about right. Horrible isn't it. That is one reason I mill my own flour. Anyways your recipe sounds like one we would like here, could you post it please. Thanks.

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3318 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3318 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2009 :  6:30:02 PM  Show Profile
COLONIAL OATMEAL BREAD

1-TBLPS of salt
2-pkgs of active dry yeast
4-cups whole-wheat flour
About 2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2-1/4 cups water
1/2 cup honey
4-TBLPS butter (or margarine) 1/2 stick
1-egg
1-cup quick cooking oats, uncooked

1. In large bowl, combine salt, yeast, 2-cups whole-wheat flour; and 1 cup all-purpose flour. In 2-quart saucepan over low heat, heat water, honey, and butter or margarine until very warm (120 to 130-degrees) Butter or margarine does not need to melt.
2. With mixer at low speed, gradually beat honey mixture into dry ingredients just until blended. Increase speed to medium; beat 2 minutes, occasionally scraping bowl iwth rubber spatula. Beat in egg and 1 cup whole-wheat flour to make a thick batter; continue beating the batter 2 minutes;, scraping bowl often. With wooden spoon, stir in oats, 1-cup whole -wheat flour, and 1 cup all purpose flour to make a soft dough.
3. Lightly sprinkle work surface with all purpose flour; turn dough onto work surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 10-minutes, working in more all purpose flour about 3/4 of a cup, while kneading the dough. Shape dough into ball and place in greased large bowl, turning dough to grease top. Cover; let rise in warm place (90 to 85-degrees F) until doubled, about 1-hour.
4. Punch down dough. Turn dough onto lightly floured surface and cut in half (I cut mine into 1/4's for smaller loaves) cover, and let rest 15 minutes. Grease large cookie sheet.
5. Shape each 1/2 (or I used 1/4's) into ovals tapering ends slightly; place on cookie sheet. Cover; let rise in warm place until doubled about 1-hour.
6. Preheat oven to 350-degreesF. With sharp knife, cut 3 to 5 crisscross slashes across top of each loaf; lightly dust tops of loaves wtih some all purpose flour. Bake 35 to 40-minutes until loaves test done. Remove loaves from cookie sheet; cool on wire racks.

*** 130-calories per serving. Low in fat, cholesterol
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Colonial Oat Bread Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page