New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Vicious Rooster - Help? Next Topic  

FiddleChick
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

78 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2009 :  6:36:12 PM  Show Profile
Hi all, I'm wondering if anyone can help me...I recently adopted a rooster who is not quite 1. Just before I got him he started displaying some aggressiveness. We were hoping it would go away. I've had him about two weeks and he's been okay but the last few days seems like he's been building up to some violence. Yesterday he attacked me, repeatedly. He's very persistent.

Does anyone have any ideas for making a rooster less aggressive? (The only thing that keeps running through my head is Ruby on Cold Mountain saying, "I hate me a flogging rooster - let's put him in a pot.") I adopted him to save him from the pot. Let me know if you think he can be reformed. Thanks!

Siúil A Rúin: "Singing for someone's supper . . ." www.tradlassie.blogspot.com

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2009 :  6:44:44 PM  Show Profile
I am not really sure if there is anything you could do. We got a fiesty one and had him for a few years. He because dinner after a while. My brother would even go so far as to bop him with a 2X4 before he went to collect eggs but he was so mean and would spur him! I hope your chickie can be reformed, but if not, he might be really yummy! :)

hugs

Jessie
Farmgirl Sister #235

"Certain thoughts are prayers.There are moments when, whatever be the attitude of the body, the soul is on its knees"--V.Hugo

Stop by my blog for a visit www.messiejessie2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

farm~maid
True Blue Farmgirl

176 Posts

Christine
IN
USA
176 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2009 :  10:33:34 PM  Show Profile
I'm not an expert, but we did have a cantankerous rooster. He had come after our grandson and myself. I would take a broom with me and he'd get it with that if he'd try anything. Just about the time he was going to be sent away, he figured out his place in our barnyard. That was 2 years ago.
We try not to keep any animal that is disruptive to our barnyard.

Christine
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2009 :  03:41:59 AM  Show Profile
We had 2. I gave one i thought was the nicer of the 2 to as friend. But that one was just as mean.

Ours would wait for our neighbor to take her daily jog and would race across the yard. Poor neighbor learned to carry a flogging stick and keep in in a strategic location.

Luckily she was also a chicken person,. I'm all for good neighborly relations. So after I also got flogged 1 TOO many times, the rooster went by- by and ended up becoming dinner for Brer Fox accidently on purpose. oops silly me

So to answer the question.......you may just be out of luck. It's a rooster just defending his terriroty that happens to also be yours.

I have read about loving him up by carrying him all around 'till you both are sick of it, but not sure if it workes or not.

Your better bet may just be the stew pot. Sorry
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4222 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4222 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2009 :  03:51:49 AM  Show Profile
Sorry no help here either. We had one, an older one, that got worse as time went on. One day he attacked my husband for the last time.

Michele
Go to Top of Page

southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2009 :  05:13:57 AM  Show Profile
Sorry, I don't believe there is a cure. But, chicken pie sounds good!

BE HAPPY!!!
Go to Top of Page

FiddleChick
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

78 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2009 :  06:34:48 AM  Show Profile
Thanks all - I feel a bit better reading your posts only in the sense that when he started attacking me (he does it regularly now so it isn't quite so much of a shock) but the first time he cornered me and I couldn't get away. He attacks my foot and leg so I've been tossing him across the coop on my boot and felt really bad about it, but he kept coming back for more and he uses his spurs and it HURTS. Still, it's not pleasant to go into your coop and have to face that. So yesterday I turned the tables on him and when he attacked me I grabbed him (so far he seems to be a real chicken - pun intended - at heart) and just stuck him under my arm and went about my chores. When I was done I tossed him down and he acted like, "What? What are you looking at? Go about your business." So Annab maybe it is possible to love the fight out of them. If not at least it saves a thrashing on both sides.

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2009 :  10:23:18 AM  Show Profile
We had a mean rooster we called Fred. He attacked my little granddaughter and that was all it took. Off with his head! I will not have that going on here. My rooster now is a true gentlerooster. He's great.

I hope the carry around worked for you. Let us know how it goes.

Kris

Turn your face to the sun and the shadows fall behind you. Maori proverb
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2009 :  03:31:24 AM  Show Profile
Amazing how tough a rooster can be. With our mean ones even a steel toe boot didn't phase them. I felt terrible, that is unitl they came back for more. Both had come in an order of Australorps that had supposedly been all female. So at that time, i was getting handsy every day to tame them all down.

We rehabbed a huge white rooster last year. He was found after having bounced off a chicken truck destined for the slaughter house.

Guess the trauna scared the fight out of him. I never had a more gentle rooster. Sadly he died from the heat.

And a friend recently gave us an orpington rooster. His spurs are still small. So far he is afraid of us. I'd love to get my hands on him, but perhaps this happy meduim is better.
Go to Top of Page

farmmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Kelley
Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2009 :  04:31:39 AM  Show Profile
we had a rooster we also called Fred...until yesterday! A couple of weeks ago he started attacking me and acting very aggressive and I had had it with him....but on th eadvice of others, i waited to put him in the stew pot...well, my DH said that him being aggressive towards us was one thing, but if he ever acted that way towards our 2yo or 3 yo, that he was gone.....And he attacked our 2 yo son yesterday!! Thank goodness Sadlers instinct was to go to the ground belly first!! But, the rooster still got him in his face! Poor baby has A 10 inch long "bruised scratch" running from his hair line all the way down to his chin, and on the other side of his face he has 8 different peck marks most of which actually broke skin.....all I have to say is thankgoodness Fred didn't have spurs!! Becaause several of the peck marks are right around his left eye.....Sadler is fine, just looks like he's been beat up......and Fred is dead....FiddleChick...a guy down the road said to try this......put a plastic zip tie around each foot...not tight, just tight enough they won't come off then run a zip tie in between each of those and leave him that way for 2 weeks....he will still be able to walk around and do everything he needs to do, but he'll no longer be able to come up and flog you....he says this really "humbles" a cocky rooster...soo....you can give it a shot....our Fred didn't even give us the chance!
Go to Top of Page

AuntPammy
True Blue Farmgirl

488 Posts

Pamila
williamstown wv
USA
488 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2009 :  05:13:50 AM  Show Profile  Click to see AuntPammy's MSN Messenger address
Ready, aim, punt!!!I am not an expert but a few good kicks usually puts them in their place. We were very fortunate in that our roosters never attacked us, however , a friend had one called "the General" who got his kicks from attacking everyone!!I would kick it away as I wouldn't put up with his attempts for barnyard dominance.He avoided me after a while.You are right it does hurt.I think Kelley has the ticket with the zip ties-that will probably put him in his place.

"Keep your face to the sunshine and you will never see the shadow." Helen Keller

www.auntpsalmostheaven.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2009 :  03:45:02 AM  Show Profile
zip ties HMmmmmm

Hopefully we won't have to resort to this method, but will tuck it back for future reference.

To be flogged is very unnerving, especially if you hear the bird running behind you.

Amazing how someting so short can inflict such terror, and anger.

Poor little boy. I bet he was scared to death
Go to Top of Page

twzlrwho
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

christina
dewitt va
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2009 :  06:02:24 AM  Show Profile
All this talk about chicken pie is making me hungry. lol

Christina

Work like you don't have to, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like nobody is watching :)
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2009 :  3:41:54 PM  Show Profile
Put him in the pot.... I think its best to get roos when they are chicks. and not older ones with those bad habits.. I would cook him!

Cheryl
Farmgirl #309

Almost daily posts at:
http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
Come visit the barn at http://barndoorcreations.blogspot.com/

Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise',
I wash my mouth out with chocolate.
Go to Top of Page

FiddleChick
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

78 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2009 :  07:58:26 AM  Show Profile
I thought you girls might like an update on my roo. I started picking him up whenever I went in the pen. I just tuck him under my arm and go about my chores. He seems to have actually gotten used to it, but it puts him a little on the defensive, rather than the offensive so now he kind of tries to duck away from me instead of chase after me. He hasn't attacked me again since I started picking him up. When I duck in just to check if there are eggs I don't even bother to pick him up. He watches me pretty carefully, but hasn't attacked. I pet him and talk to him and sometimes I think he even likes the attention, but I doubt he'd admit it. :^) I'm going to try the zip ties if he turns into Rooster Jekyll again though.

Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Vicious Rooster - Help? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page