Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 85 Items to Disappear 1st in a calamity
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic 85 Items to Disappear 1st in a calamity Next Topic
Page: of 3

harmonyfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

785 Posts

Debbie
Southeastern Ohio
USA
785 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2009 :  2:49:56 PM  Show Profile

I ran across this list and felt it important to share considering the times we are in and the way the weather has been lately. Take a minute to read and see where you stand. Thanks....Debbie

1. Generators (learn to live without electricity instead)
2. Water Filters/Purifiers/Bottled Water
3. Portable Toilets/Composting Toilets
4. Seasoned Firewood (takes 6 months to a year to season)
5. Lamp Oil/Wicks/Lamp Parts (buy clear lamp oil first)
6. Coleman Fuel (impossible to stockpile too much)
7. Guns/Ammunition/Cleaning Kit
8. Hand-can Openers/Beaters/Whisks
9. Honey/Syrup/White & Brown Sugar (excellent bartering item)
10. Rice/Beans/Wheat
11. Vegetable Oil/Lard
12. Charcoal/Lighter Fluid
13. Water Containers
14. Propane Cylinders
15. Survival Guide Books
16. Mantles for Coleman/Aladdin Lanterns
17. Baby Supplies/Diapers/Formulas/Food/Medicines
18. Washboards/Washtubs
19. Cook stoves
20. Vitamins/Supplements (check expiration dates)
21. Personal Hygiene/Hair care/ Skin Products/Toothpaste/Shaving
22. Thermal Underwear/ Socks/Underwear/T-Shirts (have extra)
23. Bow Saws/Axes & Hatchets/Wedges/Honing Oil
24. Aluminum Foil
25. Gasoline Containers
26. Garbage Bags (Impossible to have too many)
27. Toilet Paper/Tissues/Paper Towels (excellent bartering item)
28. Milk (Powdered and Condensed)
29. Garden Seeds (non-hybrid A MUST!)
30. Clothespins/Line
31. Coleman Pump Repair Kit/Lantern Hangers
32. Tuna Fish (in oil)
33. Fire Extinguishers
34. First Aid Kits
35. Batteries (all sizes/check expiration dates)
36. Herbs/Spices/Vinegar
37. Big Dogs/Food to Feed them
38. Flour/Yeast/Baking Supplies/Salt (excellent bartering item)
39. Matches (strike anywhere preferred)/Disposable Lighters
40. Writing Paper/Pen/Solar Calculators
41. Insulated Ice Chests
42. Work boots/Jeans/Durable Shirts/Work Gloves
43. Flashlights/Light Sticks/Torches
44. Journals/Diaries/Scrapbooks
45. Plastic Garbage Cans (with Wheels for Transporting)
46. Cast Iron Cookware
47. Fishing Supplies/Tools
48. Mosquito Coils/Repellent
49. Duct Tape
50. Tarps/Stakes/Twine/Nails/Rope/Spikes
51. Candles
52. Laundry Detergent Liquid/ Plain Bleach
53. Back Packs and Duffle Bags
54. Garden Tools/Supplies/Hats/Neckerchiefs
55. Scissors/Fabric/Sewing Supplies
56. Canned Fruits/Canned Vegetables/Soup etc.
57. Canning Supplies/Paraffin Wax
58. Knives and Sharpening Tools
59. Bicycles/Tires/Tubes/Other Parts
60. Sleeping Bags/Blankets/Bedding
61. Carbon Monoxide Alarms
62. Board Games/Cards/Dice
63. Rat Poison/ Mouse Traps
64. Paper Plates/Cups/Utensils (you can never have enough)
65. Baby Wipes, Hand Sanitizers (saves water)
66. Rain Gear/Rubber Boots
67. Hand Pumps /Siphons ( water and fuel)
68. Soy Sauce/Bouillon/Gravy Mixes/Soup Bases
69. Reading Glasses
70. Chocolate/Cocoa/Tang/Water Enhancers
71. Winter Clothing/Gloves/Hats/Scarves
72. Roll-on Window Insulation Kits
73. Graham Crackers/Saltines/Pretzels/Trail Mix/Jerky
74. Popcorn/Peanut Butter/ Nuts
75. Lumber (all types)
76. Wagons/Carts
77. Cots/Inflatable Mattresses
78. Glue/Nails/Screws/Nuts/Bolts
79. Tea
80. Coffee (excellent bartering item)
81. Cigarettes (excellent bartering item)
82. Wine/ Liquor (excellent bartering item)
83. Chewing Gum/Candy
84. Atomizers (cooling and Bathing)
85. Goats/Chickens/Food for them

"If you can't find the time to do it right...how will you find the time to do it over"

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9092 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9092 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2009 :  3:01:11 PM  Show Profile
Well my glass is half full. BUT ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE.

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2009 :  3:06:10 PM  Show Profile
Gottem all but the dog. But wouldn't hurt to get more wine.

Seriously, when you get everything on the list. Start over and get it all again. Be sure to rotate the food items. I am using and restocking my Y2K preps. Same list.
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2009 :  3:16:39 PM  Show Profile
I heard a survival person (or read) that survival depends on a rule of 3. Food Water and Shelter. And you should have 3 sources if food. One week list, one month list and long term, 6 months or more. Three sources of water, Tap, stored and filter for rain water, We have a filter that is supposed to make ditch water drinkable. Fortunately, we have not had to try it out. And then 3 types of shelter. Home, travel trailer, tent, livable shop or other out buildings.

I think we are in for a rough time. I think the worst problem will be inflation. Us ordinary folks won't have enough money for food, it will be so expensive. That is where ammunition comes in handy. And I don't mean just for hunting game. But for protecting our gardens, freezers and cellers.
Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2009 :  4:00:41 PM  Show Profile
Well...after having just gone 7 days without electricity...I'll be looking at that list very carefully! It was rough and cold and I had wood only the guy sold me unseasoned wood which did me no good so I learned a lesson there and I see it on your list how long it takes for it to season. I would have been a lot warmer if I'd had the propane generator or the seasoned wood! Other than that I was prepared but will be even more so next time, hopefully.
Thanks for the list!

Sam in AR..... "It's a great life if you don't weaken!"
Farmgirl Sister #226

www.farmgirlsam.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

laluna
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

New York
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2009 :  4:11:52 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Bellepepper
I think we are in for a rough time. I think the worst problem will be inflation. Us ordinary folks won't have enough money for food, it will be so expensive. That is where ammunition comes in handy. And I don't mean just for hunting game. But for protecting our gardens, freezers and cellers.

And this right here is what worries me about the sensationalism of the current situation in the media - people become reactionary. Think about all the Y2K shenanigans, and poof - nothing. I think that things seem so dire because most of us have never experienced anything like this before, and yes it's scary and awful and we need to be prepared, but let's also not forget that during the Great Depression, unemployment was at 25%. It's not even at 8% at the moment (that's not to say it won't get worse, because it likely will, but still...). And back then, lots more people lost their homes than have now, believe it or not.

"I believe in God, only I spell it Nature." -- Frank Lloyd Wright
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2009 :  4:31:18 PM  Show Profile
wow! yeah we are so going to be floating up a creek without a paddle when the time comes.:P
hugs

Jessie
Farmgirl Sister #235

"Certain thoughts are prayers.There are moments when, whatever be the attitude of the body, the soul is on its knees"--V.Hugo

Stop by my blog for a visit www.messiejessie2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2009 :  5:40:32 PM  Show Profile
Whoa, what are we exactly talking about here? Bad weather or the atom bomb? I think having back ups are good, but I really feel that we need to have a prospective on the current financial crisis . Yes, it is serious but the more we let fear rule every move we make the worse it will be. I think some positive action and thoughts will go a long way toward a calmer and more peaceful existence. We won't die if we have to do without a lot of the gadgets that have become so important to a lot of us. Life actually existed without them believe it or not. We may have to tighten our belts, but I feel the total negative attitude that is prevailing in the country right now is doing a lot of damage. If everyone is afraid to ever buy anything again "just in case", then this economy will take a long time to ever recover. Be prepared, act in a responsible manner, but live your lives with hope not paralyzing fear of everything. Even if this is only about a storm, around here the weathermen make it sound like a national disaster if we are to get a few inches of snow. The likelyhood of not being able to get out in a couple of days is pretty slim. I know there are exceptions, there always is. But, the media does tend to thrive on scaring the daylights out of everyone every chance they get! If you have animals yes, do make sure there is a good supply of food for them, I never let it get down to a day or two. I am sorry if I got carried away here. But, I have just noticed how there has been so much focus on doom and gloom on the news and I think they really overdo it and cause a lot of undue anxiety for all of us.

MJ

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do. Freya Stark
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2009 :  07:10:22 AM  Show Profile
After out recent 5 day stint without electricity we bought a generator. We usually keep enough "nonperishable" type food on hand to last us about a week. I do think our supply needs to be revamped a little. Thanks for the list!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2009 :  09:56:33 AM  Show Profile
I hear ya New York MaryJane. The media will do anything for sensationalism (SP) and we have to be on guard for that. We went 2 weeks with electricity, which also means no phone, for me, and no flushing the toilet (on a well) no heat--I do have a wood stove-- at the time I also had an invalid husband--You manage--you do because you have to. MB

http://www.smallcityscenes.blogspot.com
www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

harmonyfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

785 Posts

Debbie
Southeastern Ohio
USA
785 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2009 :  10:16:03 AM  Show Profile
In no way did I mean to perpetuate any fear. I was just offering a proactive list as "food-for-thought". I've always considered my family ready for anything...until I read this list. Y2K certainly was a non-event. But preparing for it drew our faily closer together and opened our eyes to all the elements of being without electricity. Which we are WAY to dependant on!Do you realize that terrorists could kill thousands of Americans without even touching us? All they would have to do is shut down a major power plant in each time zone and after a few weeks, we'd be killing each other for food and water.

Debbie

"If you can't find the time to do it right...how will you find the time to do it over"
Go to Top of Page

misstilliewillie
True Blue Farmgirl

136 Posts

glory
Tennessee
USA
136 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2009 :  10:30:30 AM  Show Profile
Wow! I'm going to print it out and keep the checklist! Thanks for posting it for everybody to do with what they will...
I, for one, am going to be a good Scout. Prepare for the worst, pray for the best. What harm can that possibly do?
I went through Hurricane Katrina in Mississippi, and I know the stories. (We had to listen to the local news...on the radio that, fortunately, had brand new batteries in it!) The story I remember most because I found it so very chilling...
A man shot his sister in the head for a bag of ice.
I saw what desperation can do. First hand. All around us. It was unnerving.
I never want to experience that again, but if I should happen to...I plan on being better prepared.
My advice would be just that. Be prepared. No gloom and doom here. Just realism.
Thanks again for posting the list...

http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/misstilliewillie

livin' the sweet life!

Edited by - misstilliewillie on Feb 22 2009 10:39:31 AM
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2009 :  10:42:10 AM  Show Profile
Debbie, I was thinking more of unemployment than terrorist. We have all seen the pics of the unemployed back in the depression, standing in the soup line. We are really different people now-a-days. We are of a "I want what I want when I want it" mentality. We are not going to stand patiently in line for anything. We hate it when we have to stand in line at walmart with our baskets "full" and the money to pay for it.

Also we have a couple of generations of kids that were not taught to make/grow/repair anything. Of course you farm gals are not in that catagory. That is what makes us different and will do just fine (with a lot of hard work). Hard work? That is something else that makes us different than regular folks. Remember the topic about us being laughed at because we wore our boots to town. Those laughing are the ones we have to watch out for.
Go to Top of Page

Maryjane Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

2195 Posts

Maryjane
CA
USA
2195 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2009 :  11:37:48 AM  Show Profile
Great list to go by! Thanks!

Hugs,
Maryjane Lee

Farmgirl #44
Sisters on the Fly #595

http://thebeehivecottage.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2009 :  11:47:34 AM  Show Profile
After our ice storm and 7 days without electric this list will come in REAL handy for being better prepared next time! thanks you!

Sam in AR..... "It's a great life if you don't weaken!"
Farmgirl Sister #226

www.farmgirlsam.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2009 :  3:43:49 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the list. I'm printing it off. It never hurts to be prepared. We watched a program on this just last night and it was a real eye opener, even for a realist like me. Want to find out what kind of a survivor you would be? Google The Survivors Club Quiz and take it. Nobody wants any of these things to happen but.......

It's not about being perfect, but enjoying what you do. Set aside time to be creative.

Robyn Pandolph

Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2009 :  4:08:43 PM  Show Profile
I just finished the Survivors Club Quiz. I am a Thinker. That surprises me. Thought I would be more active. But I guess someone has to figure out (thinker) what to do. Hope there is someone around who will follow orders after I do all the thinking. LOLOL
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2009 :  4:41:31 PM  Show Profile
Well I thought I would be a Thinker too but No....I'm a Realist. I guess I knew that.

It's not about being perfect, but enjoying what you do. Set aside time to be creative.

Robyn Pandolph

Go to Top of Page

harmonyfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

785 Posts

Debbie
Southeastern Ohio
USA
785 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2009 :  1:02:04 PM  Show Profile
I took the quiz also and I am a realist too! I wonder if the questions on the quiz are the same for everyone? They were kinda unusual and who knows how they score them.....think tank guys with too much time on their hands probably....

Debbie

Go to Top of Page

harmonyfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

785 Posts

Debbie
Southeastern Ohio
USA
785 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2009 :  1:58:27 PM  Show Profile
I know the 86th item would be patience...eh?

I wonder how many of the 289 people who read this post will actually do something about their stash, wonder how many printed it out. I wonder why there isn't beer on this list....lol

Debbie

Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2009 :  9:24:53 PM  Show Profile
Oh no! Beer. How could we forget that????

Robyn Pandolph

Go to Top of Page

Mother Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Cindy
Peck ID
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2009 :  01:38:26 AM  Show Profile
I've always thought it good to be prepared. Plan for the worst and pray for the best. However, no one has mentioned the one thing that came to my mind in reading all the posts and maybe some think it taboo, but the Bible says there will be hard times toward the end. Now no one knows when exactly the end will be, but then again no one can say we aren't getting closer to it either. I don't plan on preaching here I don't want to upset anyone else's beliefs. I do think farmers are more stocked up because you just never know what the weather will do or the market for selling your cattle or harvests. We are at least all farmgirl minded people here who do take care of our families and quite well. I think being prepared is fulfilling the list to some, and is a state of mind to others. To me, it's both.
Thanks for posting the list (I have seen it before also). I also have noticed the prices of everything seems to keep going up and up at the grocery mostly. Even the gas prices are beginning to increase again. I don't think our country is handling this "recession headed toward depression" very well, but time will tell.
Just know that our government does a lot of things we the general public know nothing about. Whose to say where they are really going to take us now. China already owns us more than we own ourselves.
Well, I'll stop. I just think everyone, so far, still has a right to get prepared for the rough road ahead as they see fit.

Cindy

I will bless the Lord at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth. Psalms 34:1
Go to Top of Page

4forMe
True Blue Farmgirl

166 Posts

Dawn
Easton MD
166 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2009 :  04:22:01 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the list....I am printing it out.

Sewing, knitting, gardening mom of 4.
Go to Top of Page

misstilliewillie
True Blue Farmgirl

136 Posts

glory
Tennessee
USA
136 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2009 :  06:25:25 AM  Show Profile

I took the Survivor's Club quiz, too...and I'm a thinker. I was surprised, too! Who knew?
I did print out the list, and I'm checking off everything I already have and making notes of some things to get in...
My Dad's a Minister, so we've been taught about Revelations and the end time all of my life,
and if there was ever a time in our history that we seem to be living in those times...I would have to say it is now.
I'm not scared about it, really. I feel prepared. Not just with the list of items, but...the most important preparation of all... with my God.
This forum hopefully embraces all farmgirls...whatever their beliefs may be. I know I do!

http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/misstilliewillie

livin' the sweet life!
Go to Top of Page

City_Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

509 Posts

Christina
Omaha Nebraska
USA
509 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2009 :  10:26:33 AM  Show Profile
After reviewing the list I noticed that I have nearly everything on it available in my home at all times with the exception of the generator. While I try and pride myself on being prepared for any situation I always think it is nice to just take a few moments to evaluate where we are on a preparedness scale.

I was happy to note that I when I took the Survivor Quiz I was given the rank of Fighter. It was no big surprise as I have always been one but it was nice to see it and pass it along to my family! Sometimes I know they all think I am a tad bit crazy.

Christina
Farmgirl Sister #195
http://justacitychick.blogspot.com/

Although no one can go back and make a brand new start; anyone can start from now
and make a brand new end.
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2009 :  11:00:30 AM  Show Profile
Well, that quiz was quite interesting. It says I'm a Believer. I too have printed out the list on the first post and plan on leisurely going through it and getting more prepared. Since Y2K we've always kept a decent sized pantry, some weeks it gets used up pretty good and others we are able to add to it. I see nothing wrong with being prepared for an emergency, whether that be a terrorist attack, a weather emergency or something like an earthquake that disrupts normal life. I think it all goes along with what we all believe on this forum, the more self sufficient we are the more true to ourselves. No panic necessary if you're prepared.

Audrey

Toto, we're not in Kansas any more!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Across the Fence: Previous Topic 85 Items to Disappear 1st in a calamity Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page