82kygal
True Blue Farmgirl

548 Posts

Laura
Somerset Kentucky
USA
548 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2009 :  08:07:12 AM  Show Profile
Anyone out there do Dutch oven cooking? I am wanting to get started and need some tips. I had a friend of mine in Idaho did some and it was wonderful. Thanks, Laura

With God, all things are possible. (Mark 10:27)
What ever you are, be a good one. (Abe Lincoln)

Especially For You
True Blue Farmgirl

541 Posts

Tina
Watkinsville GA
541 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2009 :  09:28:28 AM  Show Profile
Laura,
Do mean in the fire and with coals, or do mean just cooking with a dutch oven in the oven and on the stove top? I have 2 cast iron dutch oven and I love them!!!!

Tina #455
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2009 :  09:35:08 AM  Show Profile
My question too. In the oven or over coals? I love cooking in mine in the oven.. I use my other dutch oven when we go camping.

Cheryl
Farmgirl #309

Almost daily posts at:
http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
Come visit the barn at http://barndoorcreations.blogspot.com/

Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise',
I wash my mouth out with chocolate.
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4186 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4186 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2009 :  03:57:39 AM  Show Profile
I have both kinds also. I love my outdoor pots, and cook anything that I would inside, in them. I think it always tastes better outside too.

Michele
Go to Top of Page

City Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Deb
Chattanooga TN
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2009 :  06:33:23 AM  Show Profile
quote:
I think it always tastes better outside too.
Isn't that the truth! I have a cast iron outdoor one that is in my camper. I can't wait to get out to use it.

I'd like to get another one so I can make biscuits while my dinner is simmering. mmmmmm.

http://www.xanga.com/My_Pondering_Place
Go to Top of Page

palmettogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

571 Posts

sue
camden south carolina
USA
571 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2009 :  06:38:35 AM  Show Profile
i have an old iron one and a new (lime green--i just loved the color!) french cast-iron one. i like them, too, but haven't cooked outdoors with them. cooking on coal sounds like it would taste good, but what about getting that black soot off? does it just wash off pretty easy? i had some other pots (just regular) that i put on the grill when we lost power during hurricanes down in florida and they ended up a real mess----black and kind of greasy, but maybe that's because they were old tin-types?? anyway, it was a pain to get the stuff off.
Go to Top of Page

82kygal
True Blue Farmgirl

548 Posts

Laura
Somerset Kentucky
USA
548 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2009 :  07:06:56 AM  Show Profile
Yep I am talking outside. I don't know much about it. But I am excited to try. We do alot of out doors stuff so it would be perfect. Last night hubby and I went down in out woods built a big fire and cooked marinated venison on sticks it was the absolute best!! Beautiful night out.

Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2009 :  07:20:38 AM  Show Profile
Laura you might want to check with some of your local state parks. We have several around here that offer all kinds of activities you can participate in and one of the most popular are the dutch oven cooking classes!

You might also want to look into the BOW (Becoming and Outdoors Woman) program, Here is a link to the information for your state http://fw.ky.gov/bowprogram.asp Part of the program is dutch oven cooking. They havent set a date for 2009 yet but it looks like it was offered in Sept of 2008. You can contact the number given on the site for more info. GOOD LUCK!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

82kygal
True Blue Farmgirl

548 Posts

Laura
Somerset Kentucky
USA
548 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2009 :  07:26:41 AM  Show Profile
Great Julie I will look into that. Sounds like a good time. Thanks for the help

Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2009 :  07:31:28 AM  Show Profile
Go to www.chuckwagonsupply.com There are lots of info, supplies and recipes.
Go to Top of Page

City Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Deb
Chattanooga TN
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2009 :  10:24:30 AM  Show Profile
They have a bread pan for the d/o! One of my friends hubby is a longtime scout - he did an outdoor cooking session with our girl scouts. I learned quite a few tricks. One being making cakes & brownies in the dutch oven. Imagine what I could do with a bread pan!

http://www.xanga.com/My_Pondering_Place
Go to Top of Page

Maryjane Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

2195 Posts

Maryjane
CA
USA
2195 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2009 :  12:07:47 PM  Show Profile
I have some pictures on my blog of me using a dutch oven in the desert using coals! What fun! Go down aways and you will find the pics!

Hugs,
Maryjane Lee

Farmgirl #44
Sisters on the Fly #595

http://thebeehivecottage.blogspot.com/

Edited by - Maryjane Lee on Feb 22 2009 12:09:32 PM
Go to Top of Page

wild daisy
True Blue Farmgirl

503 Posts

Madelynne
Billings Montana
USA
503 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2009 :  3:03:47 PM  Show Profile
Why do I like dutch oven cooking? My husband loves to cook with his dutch ovens outside with charcoal anytime he can. I don't mind the not cooking part for me at all. He says a standard depth of a 12 inch pan you use about 24 coals with 2/3 on top the rest of them on the bottom. This equal about 350 degrees. You can use them for about 45 minutes to an hour. If your cooking time is longer you need to get another batch of coals ready to continue cooking prior to the before noted time. He stated this is the simple equation. Note if it is windy or cold you will need more coals to cook.

Have fun. Check out your local library for any dutch oven cooking books they might have.

Madelynne

johnandmadelynne.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Sue Feely
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Sue
Buffalo New York
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2009 :  4:57:15 PM  Show Profile
I went winter camping about a month ago, one of the guys brought his dutch oven and made a saucy chicken dish for dinner and later on for desert he made apple crisp - to die for. I would love to try this myself but the dutch ovens I have seen are soo expensive!
Anybody have a cheap resource?

Thanks,
Sue Feely
Sister #349
Go to Top of Page

82kygal
True Blue Farmgirl

548 Posts

Laura
Somerset Kentucky
USA
548 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2009 :  05:00:25 AM  Show Profile
I hear you on that Sue, that is about the only thing holding me back is the expense of the dutch ovens. A friend of mine gave us a huge one. When we moved I didn't see taking it (DuH) so I gave it to another friend who dutch oven cooks. I still sorta regret that. But I am sure he has put it to good use.

Go to Top of Page

nampafarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

494 Posts

Kim
Nampa ID
USA
494 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2009 :  07:12:24 AM  Show Profile
I have formed a dutch oven club. Friends will come on the second Sat late afternoon each month, weather permitting, we get snow in the winter, with their dutch ovens filled with good eats, they must bring an appetizer or a bottle of wine. We will switch off houses to go to. The hosting homes provides the briquets. We will never know what we will be eating. I have only cooked with mine in the oven or stove top but am anxious to use the pit in our yard. My friends feel the same so its a trial and error thing for us now. I found a great duutch oven cookbook at Cabella's. Its binder form, off white in color, but it has all the briquet info for top and bottom and for how long. Its kind of dutch oven for dummies.

Kim
Farmgirl Sister # 302
Go to Top of Page

82kygal
True Blue Farmgirl

548 Posts

Laura
Somerset Kentucky
USA
548 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2009 :  09:33:17 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Kim I will check that out. Your group sounds like fun. You don't happen to know JD (john) Dennis? He is from around there. I was living in Idaho City at the time. He is the one that used to cook for us all the time.

Go to Top of Page

nampafarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

494 Posts

Kim
Nampa ID
USA
494 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2009 :  09:52:35 AM  Show Profile
No, I dont know him. Too bad that we dontlive clsoer as I am just getting this group going and we are all in the same boat, we have the pots, een a recipe but no outdorr experience. It would be great to have an experienced person around to help.

To the gal who wanted an inexpensive place to buy an oven, I bought one (Lodge) at Cabellas,for about 25.00 I looked in the clearance section, I bought it over the phone and the lady looked thru the clearance section for me, and it was a big one. I would only go with Lodge. They're the best. Get a flat top to it to be able to use the coals. However, I have the rounded top and bought a Lodge top at Sportsman's Wearhouse. I dont have one with legs, I will use broken bricks as legs and it will be better as they wont sink into the ashes. I bought a 4 legged rack that I will use to put my lid on so it wont sit on the outside rocks of the pit or on a chair and dirty the chair up. I also bought a long hook to move the lid off and on for ease.

Kim
Farmgirl Sister # 302
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Dutch oven cooking?? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page