Previous Page
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Spinsters! Next Topic
Page: of 2

FiddleChick
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

78 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2009 :  09:34:51 AM  Show Profile
Grace (and others who make money from fiber), that leads me to another question...what are some of the best ways to make money from fiber? I'd like to be a fiber artist and make a substantial portion of my income from that pursuit eventually, enough to pay for my animals and have enough left over to live on (frugally, I'm not looking to get rich.) What sells best? Fiber, prepared fiber (ie, yarns and if so what kind - my initial reconnaisance of yarn stores suggests novelty sells for the most $$), finished items? Any suggestions?

Siúil A Rúin: "Singing for someone's supper . . ." www.tradlassie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2009 :  12:29:37 PM  Show Profile
I can only speak for me - over the years I have developed many niche markets and do just about everything. I have found that you just have to find what works for you and then if you are putting your talents to correct use "it" will come. I have dropped doing some things - I no longer which to carry all the lastest books, make finished garments for the masses but rather I do custom work only, I do not travel all over the country because I have made a name for myself, and last with this economy you just have to not PANIC! That last one we are all working on - it is hard to be creative when you are in panic or fear mode.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2009 :  12:31:16 PM  Show Profile
Grace, I have been trying to post a picture of the silk thread I have done from the last batch of fiber I got from you, but photobucket will not copy anything to post to here! I don't know what's wrong with it! I did put some pics on my blog so if you want to see them just click on the link!

FiddleChick, I agree with Grace about finding what is right for you! There are some yarns I have seen that I don't like at all, but there is a market for them, so you never can tell what people will like! I never really imagined spinning silk thread, but things just fell into place! I love tiny things and Grace had told me how to spin very fine silk and I was hooked! My friend Steph from MJF had commented on how she would love to feel the first silk I had spun so for fun I sent her some and she in turn sent it to a friend who does embroidery and with the interest in the thread I finally got up the nerve to put some out there for sale! So far I have had 4 orders in a few days and I have not even listed in on my etsy site yet! Also when you have stuff to sell don't be afraid to list it at a fair price even if it seems high! You can always come down on a price, but you can't go up! Don't short change yourself by starting to low!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
www.justducky48.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Thistle Cove Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

141 Posts

Sandra
Tazewell VA
USA
141 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2009 :  06:34:19 AM  Show Profile
I'm a spinner and have roving for sale. It's a 80% Romney Shetland 20% Merino mix, white and just lovely! Generally, it sells for $2.50 an ounce but for Farmgirls only, it will sell for $2.00 an ounce. It comes in different weight bumps so each would be weighed individually.
I'll get photos on my blog either today or tomorrow so you can see what it looks like.
I also have fleeces for sale and yarn and Sheep Shearing Day is 4 April 2009 when it starts all over again -smile-. Come visit, it's open to the public and FREE!

Thistle Cove Farm ~ God's blessings on you, yours and the work of your hands & heart ~
www.thistlecovefarm.com
www.thistlecovefarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Thistle Cove Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

141 Posts

Sandra
Tazewell VA
USA
141 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2009 :  06:38:12 AM  Show Profile
Linda in PA - that's where the word spinster comes from; spinner. Days gone by, it would take, approximately, eight carders to keep one spinner spinning, eight spinners to keep one weaver weaving. A carder is someone who uses metal teethed hand cards, or a hand powered table carder, to prepare the fleece for spinning; the cards comb the fleece just like a brush brushes hair.
A woman who spun kept at it almost constantly and never had time to find a husband. Generally, the spinner was a woman who never married and lived either at home, with her parents, or with a married sibling.
Hmmm...I think I see a blog entry coming up -smile-.

Thistle Cove Farm ~ God's blessings on you, yours and the work of your hands & heart ~
www.thistlecovefarm.com
Go to Top of Page

Thistle Cove Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

141 Posts

Sandra
Tazewell VA
USA
141 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2009 :  06:40:24 AM  Show Profile
uh oh. My apologies for not reading far enough ahead to know spinster had already been tackled.

How DO you all keep up???

-LOL-

www.thistlecovefarm.com
Go to Top of Page

Thistle Cove Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

141 Posts

Sandra
Tazewell VA
USA
141 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2009 :  5:27:01 PM  Show Profile
One more thing...Sheep Shearing Day @ Thistle Cove Farm is 4 April 2009 and open free to the public. Directions on my website, www.thistlecovefarm.com and more information on my blog, www.thistlecovefarm.blogspot.com.

Y'all come!

www.thistlecovefarm.com
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2009 :  6:25:02 PM  Show Profile
Sandra, Sure wish I was closer to you, I would be there!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
www.justducky48.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Spinsters! Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page