Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Making Sausage Next Topic  

Farmers Daughter
True Blue Farmgirl

90 Posts

DiAnn

90 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2009 :  08:28:10 AM  Show Profile
We will be making sausage and was wondering if any of you do the same. I am looking for a good old fashion pork sausage recipe. When I was little we always killed our own hogs and all. It was a whole neighborhood 2 day event. Not including the prep days before setting up kettles and getting all the tool ready. Everyone came to help you and you help them when they butchered. Now we have our hog killed and bring the meat home. We cut it up ourselves and make sausage. We have been buying a pre mix of seasoning for summer sausage and for our pork sausage. Although it is very good I would really like to try and find a recipes for making my own seasoning mix. My grandpa would just stick his hand down in a tub of fresh ground meat and by how many inches of meat there were he knew how many handsful or 1/2handful of salt, pepper or other seasonings were needed. I have no idea what size tub he use (#2 or #3) to even begin to try and figure what measurements would be right.
I have looked on the web for recipes, but most of them are geared toward just making a pound or so in your kitchen. We make 100 plus pounds at a time. I could do the math and add up the measurements but would like to find tried and true old fashioned farm recipes. I would like to find recipes for pork sausage and summer sausage. If anyone would be kind enough to share I would be grateful.

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2009 :  05:41:00 AM  Show Profile
Hey DiAnn, we did the same thing a few years ago with our hogs. Just had the pork ground up and we made sausage each time I took out a pound og meat.Here's the recipe we used. And it's for 1 pound. You can adjust to how ever much you're doing.

1lb meat
1tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. sage
1/8 tsp. ginger
1/8 tsp. nutmeg (I use the nut and grate it in)
1/4 tsp. thyme or Italian seasoning
1 tsp. sugar

I never really measured after a few times making this. But it is really good. Oh, and it is not hot. If you want hot add pepper flakes!

This last batch of hogs we just had them do the sausage. It it so good.

Kris

Turn your face to the sun and the shadows fall behind you. Maori proverb
Go to Top of Page

Farmers Daughter
True Blue Farmgirl

90 Posts

DiAnn

90 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2009 :  08:02:45 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the recipe. I am going to copy that down. I have never tried sausage with nutmeg and ginger in it. Going to have to give that a try.

Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Making Sausage Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page