campchic
True Blue Farmgirl

312 Posts

Erin
Nebraska
USA
312 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2009 :  4:36:24 PM  Show Profile
I am looking for recipes for elk or antelope. My outdoor cookbooks don't have much for elk or antelope. I'm hoping that some has some ideas!

Erin

Farmgirl #190
www.concrete-and-grace.blogspot.com

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2009 :  10:01:28 PM  Show Profile
I have been cooking with elk and venison (antelope too) all my life..grew up in a hunting fishing type family. My Uncle just left me with a box of elk and a box of venison from his visit last week. I am so glad to be restocked. My husband isn't a hunter and my "big boys" live 13 hours away.
For elk..cook it just like lean beef...it is my favoite. We had swiss steak made with elk..cooked in the crock pot tonight..over white rice....really good. With antelope, which is usually stronger in taste than elk is, I tend to use it more in chili and stew, and the burger in spaghetti sauce and for tacos..more heavily seasoned things. I honestly don't use any special recipes...just the regular recipes..keeping in mind that if you make meatballs or like that you want to add some beef or pork..or they will be very dry..game meat is alot more lean. Have fun...it is yummy!!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

quilt8305
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Mary
Spokane WA
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2009 :  4:55:14 PM  Show Profile
My all time favorite for elk or venison is to mix a package of onion soup mix with one container of sour cream. Spread some in the bottom of a baking dish, brown the meat and put it on top of the sour cream mixture and cover with the remaining sour cream mixture. Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees until it is done, about an hour. Yum! It's been a long time since I had any elk.

Mary

Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding. Albert Einstein
Only a peace between equals can last. Woodrow Wilson

Edited by - quilt8305 on Feb 19 2009 4:55:50 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Outpost: Previous Topic Recipes for Elk or Antelope? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page