Prairie Princess
True Blue Farmgirl

1075 Posts

Jodi
Washington
USA
1075 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2009 :  5:49:37 PM  Show Profile
Do you all have a bake sale specialty -- crowd pleaser, simple to make? Would you be willing to share recipes? I've got a killer chocolate chip cookie recipe I'll post in return!

~Jodi

"Women are like teabags...you never know how strong they are until they get into hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

SheilaC
True Blue Farmgirl

1948 Posts

Sheila
Vermont
USA
1948 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2009 :  7:29:19 PM  Show Profile
yummmmy peanut butter fudge! I'll post recipe tomorrow. . .
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2009 :  06:29:20 AM  Show Profile
I make "cowgirl" cookies...they're a super-yummy basic cookie dough recipe with pecans or walnuts, dried craisins, and white chocolate chips. I make super big sized cookies, so that two folks can share.
Go to Top of Page

SheilaC
True Blue Farmgirl

1948 Posts

Sheila
Vermont
USA
1948 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2009 :  06:39:53 AM  Show Profile
Allright, here's my super easy and DELICIOUS peanutbutter fudge recipe, gets lots of requests for bake sales!!

2 c brown sugar
2 c white sugar
3/4 c milk
2 c Fluff (or other marshmallow creme)
1 1/2 c peanut butter

Boil the sugars and milk for one minute then take off heat and mix in the fluff and pb really well; pour into greased 9 x 13 pan and let solidify.

That's it! Easy and really yummy.
Go to Top of Page

Gaelic Gardener
True Blue Farmgirl

61 Posts

Kelly
Providence Rhode Island
USA
61 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2009 :  4:08:08 PM  Show Profile
Hawaiian Wedding Cake

2 cups of flour
2 cups of sugar
2 eggs
2 tsps baking soda
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 cup shredded coconut
1 (20oz) can of crushed pineapple with juice

Mix all of the ingredients together and pour into a greased 13 X 9 pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 40-45 mins (until golden brown). Cool.

Hawaiian Wedding Cake Frosting [Because it's all about the frosting!]

[I always put the butter and cream cheese on the counter to soften when I start making the cake]
1 (8oz) pkg of cream cheese
1 1/2 cup of confectioner's sugar
1 stick of butter
2 tsp of vanilla extract

Blend well, frost cool cake, garnish with more nuts and coconut if desired.

For a bake sale I would cut the cake into squares and put each square on a cupcake paper.
This makes the most dense, rich, sweet cake -- it's scrumptious!
--Kelly

“We can complain because rose bushes have thorns,
or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
Abraham Lincoln
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Princess
True Blue Farmgirl

1075 Posts

Jodi
Washington
USA
1075 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2009 :  4:26:39 PM  Show Profile
Oh my! These recipes sound sooo YUMMY!! Thanks for sharing them, I can't wait to get in the kitchen this weekend and try them out!

Here's my chocolate chip cookie recipe...if you make it as is, it turns out "bakery style"...more flat and chewy (in a good way, LOL)...but if you make it with the healthy way (use 2/3 of the oil, 2/3 of the sugar, and I use Ener-G Egg Replacer instead of the eggs) it turns out fluffier. I alternate between the two versions, and it's a hit either way.

1 1/2 cups butter
2 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoons salt
4 tablespoons milk
2 tablespoons vanilla extract
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 cups chocolate chips

Mix ingredients together, and drop spoonfuls onto non stick cookie sheet. Cook **exactly** 17 minutes in oven preheated to 350 degrees F. Let cool before removing from pan -- they come out SUPER soft...aka, chocolatey disaster if you try to remove them before they've cooled, lol.

Enjoy!

~Jodi

"Women are like teabags...you never know how strong they are until they get into hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2009 :  08:32:35 AM  Show Profile
A few months ago my DD ask me to bake something for her bake sale. Not wanting to buy anything I checked the freezer and pantry to see what I could find. The following recipe was made with stuff on hand and I felt like it was free (kinda). Anyway, she cut the bars and made 3 packages. Sold them for $5 each. Made $15 with my box of cake mix and can of cherries.

Cherry Almond Squares
1 cup sour cream
1/4 cup water
3 eggs
1 pkg cake mix, yellow or white
1 can 21 oz cherry pie filling
1/4 cup sliced almonds
Powdered sugar glaze.

Grease and flower jelly roll pan. Heat oven to 350. Mix sour cream, water and eggs. stir in cake mix (dry) until moist. Batter will be slightly lumpy. Spread in pan. Drop pie filling by spoonfuls onto batter. Bake 25 to 30 min. Cool sprinkle with sliced almonds. Drizzle with glaze.

Sounds so good, I think I'll go make one for us.
Go to Top of Page

Gaelic Gardener
True Blue Farmgirl

61 Posts

Kelly
Providence Rhode Island
USA
61 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2009 :  3:27:29 PM  Show Profile
There is always, of course, the "Neiman Marcus" cookies. I'm sure you've all heard the urban myth which includes this recipe:
(Recipe may be halved):
2 cups butter
4 cups flour
2 tsp. baking soda
2 cups granulated sugar
2 cups brown sugar
5 cups blended oatmeal (measure oatmeal and blend in blender to a fine powder)
24 oz. chocolate chips
1 tsp. salt
1 8 oz. Hershey bar (grated)
4 eggs
2 tsp. baking powder
3 cups chopped nuts (your choice)
2 tsp. vanilla

Cream the butter and both sugars. Add eggs and vanilla; mix together with flour, oatmeal, salt, baking powder, and soda. Add chocolate chips, Hershey bar and nuts. Roll into balls and place two inches apart on a cookie sheet..Bake for 10 minutes at 375 degrees. Makes 112 cookies..

Neiman Marcus came up with their own (different) recipe which they give away for free on their site:
Ingredients

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
1 cup light brown sugar
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 large egg
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1-3/4 cups all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1-1/2 teaspoons instant espresso coffee powder
1-1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Cream the butter with the sugars using an electric mixer on medium speed until fluffy (approximately 30 seconds)

2. Beat in the egg and the vanilla extract for another 30 seconds.

3. In a mixing bowl, sift together the dry ingredients and beat into the butter mixture at low speed for about 15 seconds. Stir in the espresso coffee powder and chocolate chips.

4. Using a 1 ounce scoop or a 2 tablespoon measure, drop cookie dough onto a greased cookie sheet about 3 inches apart. Gently press down on the dough with the back of a spoon to spread out into a 2 inch circle. Bake for about 20 minutes or until nicely browned around the edges. Bake a little longer for a crispier cookie.

Yield: 2 dozen cookies

“We can complain because rose bushes have thorns,
or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
Abraham Lincoln
Go to Top of Page

Maryjane Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

2195 Posts

Maryjane
CA
USA
2195 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2009 :  12:12:35 PM  Show Profile
I always made popcorn balls! The kids loved them and they ALWAYS sold out! I make the jello kind. If anyones wants the recipe, hollow!

Hugs,
Maryjane Lee

Farmgirl #44
Sisters on the Fly #595

http://thebeehivecottage.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

SheilaC
True Blue Farmgirl

1948 Posts

Sheila
Vermont
USA
1948 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2009 :  4:54:46 PM  Show Profile
Maryjane, can I have your popcorn ball recipe? Thanks so much!
Go to Top of Page

Maryjane Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

2195 Posts

Maryjane
CA
USA
2195 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2009 :  5:14:46 PM  Show Profile
You bet!

Jello Popcorn Balls

1 package of jello - 3 oz.
1 cup sugar
1 cup light Karco syrup

Cook above ingredients until sugar is dissolved. Pour over 6 quarts of popped corn and stir until coated. Lightly butter your hands and form into balls.

Marshmallow Popcorn Balls

1 cbe butter
1 16 oz. package minimarshallows
1/4 cup light Karo syrup

Melt butter, marshmallows and syrup in pan over low heat. Pour over 6 quarts of popped corn and stir until coated. Lightly butter hands and form into balls.

Hugs,
Maryjane Lee

Farmgirl #44
Sisters on the Fly #595

Go to Top of Page

SheilaC
True Blue Farmgirl

1948 Posts

Sheila
Vermont
USA
1948 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2009 :  5:25:49 PM  Show Profile
thanks Mary Jane, just a quick question--do hands get stained with color from the jello when you're eating them?
Go to Top of Page

Maryjane Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

2195 Posts

Maryjane
CA
USA
2195 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2009 :  7:26:44 PM  Show Profile
Hi Sheila, never had a problem with hands staining and I've made these for years. It's a good thing! Thanks for asking.

Hugs,
Maryjane Lee

Farmgirl #44
Sisters on the Fly #595

Go to Top of Page

SheilaC
True Blue Farmgirl

1948 Posts

Sheila
Vermont
USA
1948 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2009 :  7:35:11 PM  Show Profile
awesome! I'll try them for snack time tomorrow!
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2009 :  12:43:02 PM  Show Profile
Okay, these aren't baked but they did well. Our last Bake Sale I made Toasted Coconut Marshmallows. They went fast! I have been making homemade marshmallows for the past 10 years. They are to die for!

Here is the recipe for basic Marshmallows along with adaptions for Toasted Coconut and Chocolate Marshmallows

Homemade Marshmallows

4 envelopes unflavored gelatin
1 1/2 cups water
3 cups sugar
1 1/4 cups light corn syrup
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar, plus additional for rolling

Spray a 10x13-inch Pyrex baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. In the bowl of a standing electric mixer, soften the gelatin with 3/4 cup of the water.

Place the sugar, corn syrup, the remaining 3/4-cup water, and the salt in a heavy saucepan. Bring to a boil and cook over high heat until the syrup reaches 234-240 degrees on a candy thermometer (or until it reaches soft-ball stage).With the whisk attachment of the mixer at full speed, beat the hot syrup slowly into the gelatin until the mixture is very stiff, about 15 minutes. Beat in the vanilla.

Pour the mixture prepared dish and smooth the top with an oiled spatula. Allow the mixture to rest, uncovered, at room temperature 10-12 hours. Using a fine sieve, sprinkle the powdered sugar onto a cutting board. Turn the stiffened marshmallow mixture out onto the sugar, and using a pizza cutter dipped in powdered sugar cut marshmallows into squares. Be sure to dip the cut edges of the marshmallows into the powdered sugar to prevent sticking. Yield: About 40 marshmallows

** Don't skimp and use cheaper corn syrup. I have tried and the marshmallows don't set right. Use Karo.

**Don’t forget to adjust for altitude: For every 1000 feet above sea level subtract 2 degrees from temperature.

For Toasted Coconut Marshmallows use the same recipe but instead of using powdered sugar substitute Toasted Coconut

The recipe is basically for the Homemade Marshmallows but here is what I did:

-I took one bag of flaked Coconut per batch of marshmallows and toasted it. I let it cool before using.
-Then I used butter to grease the pyrex pan. I placed about a third of the coconut along the bottom of the pan.
-After mixing up the "batter" for the marshmallows I poured it into the pan and spread it out.
-Then I sprinkled another third of the coconut on top covering it. I patted it down lightly so it would stick.
-After I removed the marshmallows from the pan, I used a pizza cutter dipped in powdered sugar to cut with.
-I rolled the cut sides of the marshmallow in the remaining toasted coconut.

For Chocolate Marshmallows:

It is basically the same recipe but add the following ingredients:

1/3 cup sifted baking cocoa
1 cup powdered sugar sifted with 1/3 cup baking cocoa (to roll marshmallows in) *I also used a whisk to make sure that both were evenly distributed

Follow the same instructions but add the 1/3 cup sifted baking cocoa once the syrup is incorporated. (after mixing ingredients and cooking to soft-ball stage).

Pour the mixture prepared dish and smooth the top with an oiled spatula. Allow the mixture to rest, uncovered, at room temperature 10-12 hours. Sprinkle the powdered sugar and cocoa mixture onto a cutting board. Turn the stiffened marshmallow mixture out onto the sugar, cut into squares with a lightly oiled knife. Be sure to dip the cut edges of the marshmallows into the powdered sugar cocoa mixture to prevent sticking.

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

Edited by - Calicogirl on Feb 25 2009 12:43:52 PM
Go to Top of Page

Maryjane Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

2195 Posts

Maryjane
CA
USA
2195 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2009 :  3:39:34 PM  Show Profile
Oh Yum Sharon! I am going to make some!!!!

Hugs,
Maryjane Lee

Farmgirl #44
Sisters on the Fly #595

Go to Top of Page

SheilaC
True Blue Farmgirl

1948 Posts

Sheila
Vermont
USA
1948 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2009 :  6:55:16 PM  Show Profile
Mary Jane Lee, YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM popcorn balls! We made/ate/loved them yesterday! Thanks for the recipe! So easy and yummy!!
Go to Top of Page

Maryjane Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

2195 Posts

Maryjane
CA
USA
2195 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2009 :  12:13:39 AM  Show Profile
Oh Sheila, I am so thrilled you liked them! Hummm, just might have to make me a batch...of course I will share with the grandkids!

Hugs,
Maryjane Lee

Farmgirl #44
Sisters on the Fly #595

Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Bake Sale Favorites Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page