soapmommy60543
True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2009 :  06:02:10 AM  Show Profile
We have had pretty good luck with all the vegies in our garden the last 2 years EXCEPT carrots and lettuces. My husband says it's because I don't wait until the carrots are mature enough to pick, but when the package says 55-60 days (or whatever it is), I check at 50, then 55, then pull them all at 60. No matter when I pull them, they are TERRIBLE! Woody, nasty almost acidic taste - BLECK! The only saving grace is that our rabbits LOVE the tops!

As for the lettuce, last summer it grew up tall and stalky. I thinned the rows for some "baby greens" which were also AWFUL! I like a bitter green as much as the next person, but these were bitter to the point of being inedible - even more bitter than raw dandelion greens (which I actually love!). Even the rabbits (for whom the lettuce is mostly intended) wouldn't touch them.

I'm about ready to give up - can't keep throwing good money away on produce that takes up valuable garden space to only end up in the compost pile. Can anyone offer any advice - maybe a different variety/brand (I used Ferry Morse organics "nantes type" for the carrots and I think it was a Burpee organic romaine on the lettuce)? Some type of soil amendment?

Thanks for your help!

Ann in Oswego
http://suburbanprairiehouse.wordpress.com

Times may be tough, but farmgirls are tougher!

Craft Fasting since October 21, 2008

Edited by - soapmommy60543 on Feb 17 2009 06:03:31 AM

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2009 :  07:03:48 AM  Show Profile
Ann- I would go out and test your soil. After that ammend accordingly. Carrots like a sandy soil, if the soil is to hard they wont grow very well. As far as the lettuce goes, it sounds like you are growing it too late in the season. Lettuce is a cool weather crop. If you plant it to late, the heat will cause it to bolt which is what you are describing. Hope this helps.

Lililan
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2009 :  07:24:21 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
http://www.carrotmuseum.co.uk/qna.html#g5

What causes my home garden carrots to be tasteless, woody and often bitter instead of sweet and tender?

These problems are associated with growing and environmental conditions during the maturing period. Carrots grow best and develop highest sugars when temperatures are between 40 degrees and 80 degrees F. The best carrots are planted in fall for early winter harvest. Carrots are cold hardy, but should be planted so they mature before temperatures drop below 20 degrees F. as damage or death can occur. Plantings can begin in late summer or early fall and continue until about 90 days before temperatures are expected to average 85 degrees F.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2009 :  08:21:27 AM  Show Profile
I plant my first planting of carrots in early may, harvest in july. Throw down seeds for a second planting in july and either harvest or winter over the second planting.

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2009 :  08:26:30 AM  Show Profile
Ann, like you, I've not had luck with carrots. Two years in a row, so this year I've elected not to grow them. I might get 2 out of the bunch that are worth it...this past year, some freakish ants found them and ate all the centers out.

Lettuce, though, I don't have any problem with, except that I'm the only one who eats it and I have to keep giving and giving away until it bolts from the heat!!!
Go to Top of Page

soapmommy60543
True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2009 :  09:26:02 AM  Show Profile
I planted my lettuce in early May last year. We actually had spring, so the daytime temps were never above 75 degrees, and it was still quite nippy at night. I usually dare not plant any earlier because of frost danger. We are Zone 4, and our "actual" frost date is May 15. The year before, I started it in April, when it was even cooler (and still no frost danger) and it did the same thing. I even made sure to switch varieties to see if it was just the seeds.

As for the carrots, I'll try mixing in a little sand. I use the SFG Mel's Mix, so maybe to that I'll add 1/2 part sand and see if that helps.

FV - have you had that sweet baby yet?

Ann in Oswego

Times may be tough, but farmgirls are tougher!

Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2009 :  09:30:39 AM  Show Profile
Hmmm. As far as the lettuce that is odd. I think I would buy one of those soil test kits and test the soil. Maybe you have too much nitrogen, it promotes leaf growth.

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2009 :  09:09:58 AM  Show Profile
Ann...not yet :) Her due date is today, but she's not made any sort of "move" to leave the nest. As my husband says, "we're just waiting for Violet to bloom!" Thanks for asking...as soon as she arrives, I'll post some photos--the hospital has wifi :)
Go to Top of Page

soapmommy60543
True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2009 :  06:56:52 AM  Show Profile
My son came 5 days after his "Due Date" which happened to be my dh's bday. He said it was just like everything else I made him for his birthday, it just wasn't finished in time! LOL

Hang in there - I know how it feels to see that day come and go... It's hard mentally and emotionally...

Ann in Oswego

"We are all better for contact and companionship with other people. We need such contact to polish off the rough corners of our minds and our manners, but it is a pitiful thing when anyone cannot, if necessary, stand by himself sufficient to himself and in good company even though alone." Laura Ingalls Wilder

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2009 :  11:08:59 AM  Show Profile
Hey Ann. I just wanted to say I grew carrots for the first time last year. I made 3 raised beds because I knew they would not do a thing in the groud here. I used a black gold soil mix and sand. They grew great. And were good. Me and my granddaughter pulled them all up and canned them! We got 8 pints. They could have been longer if my bed had been deeper. I will add more soil in the next few weeks.

Also the lettuce. I have it in raised beds also. And I have it where in the afternoon it is in shade. It does really well like that. And keep it watered. I did not let it dry out. I grew Romaine and spring mixes. They were never bittie or never bolted. You could also cover the lettuce with a black mesh covering in the afternoon if it is in sun all day. But you have to keep lettuce watered good.

Just thought I'd throw my growing advice in for you. Good luck.

Kris

Turn your face to the sun and the shadows fall behind you. Maori proverb
Go to Top of Page

soapmommy60543
True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2009 :  12:16:59 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for all the advice ladies! That's why I'm a farmgirl!

Ann in Oswego

"We are all better for contact and companionship with other people. We need such contact to polish off the rough corners of our minds and our manners, but it is a pitiful thing when anyone cannot, if necessary, stand by himself sufficient to himself and in good company even though alone." Laura Ingalls Wilder

Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Growing Carrots and Lettuces Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page