cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2006 :  06:53:08 AM  Show Profile
Hey gals,
I know I'm still new here but I sure feel like y'all are family.

So, just wanted to let y'all know I'm heading down to the coast for a few days to see my mom. It's just a couple of hours away but a world and climate of difference. Because the Gulf still has warm waters, the temp. there is even warmer than where I am (uppers still reaching into the lo 80's) The Gulf breeze is wonderful.

Moma has a home/cabin right on the beach with just one house in front of hers. This is also the home I lived in before I got married 16 years ago. The homes are all about 21 feet in the air and residents get pretty creative in the colors and decorations.

Moma's birthday was on the 7th and mine is coming up this weekend. So, this is our mother / daughter time together to hang out and just have fun. My daughters are going with me and they'll join in with us.

Coffee drinking on the deck. Strolls on the sand aside the waves. Looking for shells. Stargazing at night. Birdwatching at day. (lots of migrating species down there) and eating and eating and eating.... WOO HOO!

I'll see y'all in a few days!!

Blessings
Catherine

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."

farmgrlchick
True Blue Farmgirl

439 Posts

Theresa
Columbus Montana
USA
439 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2006 :  09:14:07 AM  Show Profile
Have a great time!
Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2006 :  09:36:05 AM  Show Profile
It sounds wonderful, Catherine. Especially the coffee on the deck and strolls on the beach! We're expecting more snow/rain/snow. Enjoy your time with your Mom.

Debbie

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2006 :  10:02:53 PM  Show Profile
Ah ! Sounds divine! Time with Moms are always grand. Wish I had the week-end to spend with my Mama. Have a wonderful time. See you when you get back! Julia V.

"...the setting sun is like going into the very presence of God." Elizabeth Von Arnim
Go to Top of Page

owwlady
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Jan
Tomahawk WI
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2006 :  08:38:02 AM  Show Profile
Catherine, have a great time. It sounds wonderful, strolling on the beach in the warm weather...I'm excited because it's supposed to get up to 45 today and the sun is actually out!! Let us know how your time together went.
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2006 :  4:15:11 PM  Show Profile
I have returned home refreshed!

I love this time of year on the Gulf Coast...the weather is nice enough to spend on the beach and it's not crowded with summer partiers. The sun was out each day and there was enough chill in the air to actually get goosebumps. Moma, my daughters and I strolled and rode the beach buggy and strolled and rode the beach buggy and strolled and....

We were celebrating both our birthdays. She turned 66 on Jan. 7th and I will be 38 on Sun. the 15th. Partying for us is time in the kitchen. We butterflied and fried shrimp, made bbq shrimp (which actually doesn't use bbq sauce at all), steamed fresh broccoli and squash, made a huge mixed green salad and of course....some really fattening down home macaroni and cheese. The shrimp came from the local waters...my 76 yr. old Uncle J.P. is a fisherman. It was absolutely yummy and a great time.

I am so mad at myself, though. I wanted to take pictures of the roads we take to get there....kind of a virtual tour like Horseyrider did, only not as scenic. I forgot my camera!!
I'll try again next time I go.

Thanks for your well wishes.

Blessings
Catherine

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2006 :  4:33:35 PM  Show Profile
Welcome back Catherine!! Sounds like you had alot of fun..you deserve it!!
The shrimp sounds so good!!!

Jenny in Utah
It's astonishing how short a time it takes for very wonderful things to happen...Frances Burnette
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2006 :  9:29:05 PM  Show Profile
Catherine, so glad you had a nice time!
Sharon

Life is messy. Wear your apron!
Go to Top of Page

jenny louise
True Blue Farmgirl

166 Posts

jennifer
cass city MI
USA
166 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2006 :  06:25:57 AM  Show Profile
Sounds wonderful. Catherine! Glad you could nourish your soul like that, and warmth form the sun...delicious.
Jenny in MI
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2006 :  08:36:58 AM  Show Profile
Catherine, reading your post brought a wistful smile to my face. My folks used to have a condo down on Sanibel, and for a long weekend every year they'd fly me down so I could remember what it felt like to feel the sun on my shoulders. My mom and I would walk the beach, hunt for seashells, and look at the leaping dolphins and seabirds. We'd shop and eat lots of seafood, and have so much fun.

My mom passed away in 1997, but every once in awhile I find a little bag of tiny seashells stowed away in a drawer someplace, and I remember.

Thanks for helping me remember again. I hope you cherish the memories you make with your mom as much as I do mine.
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Galveston, oh Galveston Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page