snowberryfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

132 Posts

Michelle
Central Wa WA
USA
132 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2009 :  10:22:51 PM  Show Profile
Has anyone here built a new home that was an 'old' farmhouse style?
Hubby and I were talking today and we agreed that if we ever build, we would build a home that looks like an older home.

Just wonderin!

Michelle

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2009 :  07:34:33 AM  Show Profile
Michelle - we haven't built but would like to someday, depends on how the real estate market turns out. That is exactly what we want to do - an old farmhouse style house. I'd love to hear from people who have done it too!!
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Heirloom Mavens Badge Badger
Go to Top of Page

palmettogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

571 Posts

sue
camden south carolina
USA
571 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2009 :  1:40:24 PM  Show Profile
i've built several homes; one contemporary, one very large Georgian colonial--(almost 7,000square ft.-finished, with 7 fireplaces), i've totally re-done a few homes and last but not least, (and what caught my attention with your heading-anyone built?) by coincidence, we are thinking seriously of building a home that resembles a barn on the outside, but with a contemporary flair, and yet to look old on the inside!! it is a lot of fun, at least i think so, but it is a lot of work and you must be VERY detailed. also, you have to be dedicated to your budget, you will see so many things that you want, and the sky is the limit!!, but it adds up really fast. we just put our home up for sale and are working on buying this 34 acres with a woods, two ponds, etc., it's really pretty. we've worked on designing the house plans and have been getting tentative prices for the construction and materials....and we've already been working on the placement of the home. like i said, it is a lot of fun, but a lot of work.
Go to Top of Page

KD Earthwork
True Blue Farmgirl

210 Posts

Katie
Gualala Calif.
USA
210 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2009 :  06:57:31 AM  Show Profile
I've built two house's and converted one garage into a cute old style guest house.I think it's so very interesting what comes out.After building our new house it started as a small cabin we were going to live in while we were building another house we had drawings for.So the base room is only 16x20.We kept adding as we went, a second story, a wrap around hip addition with kitchen, eatting nook,bath and laundry,covered porch.Then needing a second bedroom we quickly went into another addition 17x30,an office,bedroom and second bath.
The problem now is though we have a cute "old" looking house my husband grown in the time of spacious ranch houses can't stretch his arms out and have a spacious room.I think it's important to think carefully about what style house you feel comfortable living in.Cute and cozy?Beautiful materials?Large spacious?I went with a friend house hunting the other day.We liked totally different houses.Mine was very aestictically pleasing.Her favorite was much more roomy with lot's of adjoining spaces to have separate things going on.I realized what I'd been building was very cute and beautiful but not as easy to live in .More like a boat with places for everything as long as everyone's neat.We live very rural so we milled our own wood and have redwood board and batten siding plus facias ,porch and decks.
I just about went to heaven over Ralph Kylloe,Rustic House books.I love that version of an old house.Our house looks old because of the many additions.Plus the old fashioned materials.
Katie
Go to Top of Page

sjs
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Stephanie
Oakland CA
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2009 :  10:05:58 AM  Show Profile  Send sjs an AOL message  Send sjs a Yahoo! Message
I've thought about building a new old-style house, or finding an older house and having it moved to a large property. A friend was just telling me that in some places you can buy heirloom homes for cheap, because someone's going to tear it down to build a new-style house, and moving costs are a lot cheaper than building a house from scratch. Not sure about the numbers, though, since I haven't had a chance to do any

And wow, this sounds like a great article idea.

Stephanie, Farmgirl Sister #513!

--------------------
Learning to live is learning to let go.

Visit my food blog! http://www.wasabimon.com - natural cooking to live for.
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2009 :  10:50:59 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
My dh and I(with lots of help) built a same size addition onto a 1918 farmhouse. Tons of work and still in progress.

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

KD Earthwork
True Blue Farmgirl

210 Posts

Katie
Gualala Calif.
USA
210 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2009 :  10:54:06 PM  Show Profile
WE built a cabin that's kept growing but it's in the wrong spot on the property.We keep talking about moving it but my husband keeps pointing out how wide the road would have to be.Power lines etc.
Katie
Go to Top of Page

caro
Farmgirl in Training

37 Posts

Carol
Princeton Indiana
USA
37 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2009 :  1:35:23 PM  Show Profile
We did build a new farmhouse that was in the older style. One of the biggest compliments I got was someone who had never been to our house before asking if we'd renovated an old house!! It was based on a Donald Gardner (architect) design that we adjusted to suit our needs. Had always wanted a yellow farmhouse with dormers--and that's exactly what I got. Unfortunately, we sold it--and I'm still sorry!!! Oh, well. Life goes on... We, too, are in the process of building a new house out in the country. It's an almost overwhelming process to me with so many choices that have to be made. And I want to be moving in right now--not in 6 months :-). Good luck to those of you building or hoping to do so one day. Hopefully the economy will start improving and people can exhale and go on with their lives!!
Go to Top of Page

LouisvilleMom
True Blue Farmgirl

246 Posts

Kathryn
Louisville KY
USA
246 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2009 :  4:02:43 PM  Show Profile
We are going to build a new house with an older feel. Ours will also be based on a Donald Gardner design. I am incorporating reclaimed materials into it such as barn beams in the kitchen and pieces of an old piano used in various places. The inside is heart pine "beams" that I will sand and use somewhere, the "action"--thingy with all the hammers and stuff---will be hung on the wall as art and the ornate legs are going to be my cabinet supports.
I like the feel of older homes and new homes just have no personality to me (I can say that as I live in one) and seem like they were pulled out of a box unfolded and set on the lot.

SAHM mom to four great boys.

http://ksfarnsworth.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2009 :  5:54:59 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
If we ever built that is the style that I want to build as well!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

farmmom22
True Blue Farmgirl

616 Posts

Tammy
Scottsville KY
USA
616 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2009 :  4:12:46 PM  Show Profile
This website has some beautiful homes. If we ever find a larger farm, I'm hoping to build a Victorian farmhouse on it. Fortunatley my dad is a contractor and can draw the blueprints up for me exactly the way I want them!

http://www.historicaldesigns.com/

http://afarmgirljourney.blogspot.com/
Farmgirl Sister #492

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. -Carl Bard
Go to Top of Page

palmettogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

571 Posts

sue
camden south carolina
USA
571 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2009 :  12:08:01 PM  Show Profile
hey everybody!!!!! we have a contract on our home and it looks like it will close/be sold in june.... we are shocked because with the economy and all, we weren't very confident that we'd be able to do this. anyway, we have a contract on 34 acres, with a few ponds, woods, and pasture/open field. i am so excited! i want to get some chickens and have a much larger garden than we have now. we are planning on building the barn-looking home with a little contemporary flair (as mentioned before). it will look more "old" on the inside with wide floor-boards, old-fashioned bathrooms (claw-foot tubs) etc. anyway, we are so thrilled!!
Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Has anyone built.. Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page