Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Why is it so hard to find??
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Why is it so hard to find?? Next Topic  

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2009 :  12:36:15 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Just some plain, white COTTON curtains, 84 long, that don't cost and arm and a leg. I can buy any other style, color or texture cheaply but white COTTON is so dang expensive. I need 8 pairs, so I have to be frugal. GRRRR!!!!

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2009 :  1:23:38 PM  Show Profile
I hear ya! I think the most cost effective way to go if you are handy with a sewing machine is to buy the material and do it yourself. I have seen lots of pretty just plain white cotton curtains, but none that were really good as far as price. Sorry Im not much help. Good luck in your search!! :)
hugs

Jessie
Farmgirl Sister #235

"The grass withereth,the flower fadeth:but the word of our God shall stand forever." Is. 40:8

Stop by my blog for a visit www.messiejessie2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2009 :  1:42:28 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Ha!! Jessie!! I am glad someone shares my pain!!! : )

Just plain cotton...that's all this cowgirl is looking for. : )

Heather

Go to Top of Page

Corinnelouise
True Blue Farmgirl

957 Posts

Corinne
France
957 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2009 :  2:00:10 PM  Show Profile
Heather, if there is an Ikea store in you area, they have a few nice plain ones for a reasonable price.
Hope that helps.
Corinne

Sister # 101

Edited by - Corinnelouise on Feb 12 2009 2:00:52 PM
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2009 :  7:16:01 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
I sometimes find that plain white sheets are even cheaper than material.... and then you can make them into drapes...

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185
http://farmchicksfarm.blogspot.com/http://renenaturallyspeaking.blogspot.com/

Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJane's has made us SISTERS :)
Go to Top of Page

Laura Marie
True Blue Farmgirl

419 Posts

Laura
Rancho Cordova California
USA
419 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2009 :  7:22:30 PM  Show Profile
Hey Heather! I got some off white at Ikea about a year ago...they are unbleached and they don't have a finshed seam at the bottom so I had to do them myself. If you go to www.ikea.com, look at their curtains. If you don't have one by you and you find some you like let me know. I have one by me. If you can't find it there and willing to sew, there is a place in LA called the fabric district and it is blocks and blocks of fabric stores, a lot at reasonable prices. If you tell me how much you need I might be able to find you a reasonable price. Just let me know. Also try places like Ross, or Factory 2 You, I don't know what you have in your area, but sheets are always a safe beat as well. Good Luck and let me know if I can help you out in any way!
Farm Girl Hugs!

Laura Marie #369
www.lauramariedesign.com

"It's not the size of the farm but the size of your heart!"
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2009 :  7:41:01 PM  Show Profile
I have the same problem with curtains. Our house is OLD, but it's got LOTS of windows. (and I SWEAR not a single one is the SAME SIZE!!! So frustrating!!!)

I was thinking the same thing as Rene' -- Plain white cotton sheets. Sometimes, if I find a cute cloth shower curtain on sale I will buy it to cut into curtains as well. You might also check the thrift stores. Sometimes you can make quite a haul on curtains there!

It's very generous of Laura Marie to want to help you out too! Farmgirls are so AWSOME!!!! Hope you find what you're looking for! ~~~ Tracy

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

gspringman
True Blue Farmgirl

387 Posts

Gail
Bonanza Oregon
USA
387 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2009 :  08:25:42 AM  Show Profile  Send gspringman a Yahoo! Message
Hi Heather, I don't know how white you want, but my daughter bought kinda off white drop cloths from Home Depot, about 80" long and quite wide, really inexpensive, and I made her some really nice curtains for two rooms in her home. It looks real nice and open now. Lets in more light.

Gail
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2009 :  08:57:09 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Interesting ideas ladies. Keep them coming!! I am looking into them.

Heather

Go to Top of Page

harmonyfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

785 Posts

Debbie
Southeastern Ohio
USA
785 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2009 :  10:43:33 AM  Show Profile
I bought 7 twin sized flat sheets on sale and folded them in half (widthwise) and sewed a two inch casing along the fold. I inserted a little spring loaded curtain rod in the casing and then put the rod inside the window frame. Then I bought 7 lacy cheap valances and put another tiny rod in them and put them at the top of the window. It lets in lots of light and looks really pretty. The woodwork in our living room is ornate and 150 years old and putting curtains in the windows this way, shows off the trim and saves a bunch of new holes for brackets.....probably cost 10 - 12 dollars a window.

Debbie

"If you can't find the time to do it right...how will you find the time to do it over"
Go to Top of Page

StarMeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

940 Posts

T
MI
940 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2009 :  11:13:49 AM  Show Profile
I needed black. I bought 4 queen size flat sheets at Walmart and they are perfect for what I needed. I did two "walls" with flexible cable "rods" (like at Ikea but MUCH cheaper!)
Go to Top of Page

pinkroses
True Blue Farmgirl

2350 Posts

Sheila
Virginia
USA
2350 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2009 :  4:38:38 PM  Show Profile
If you sew; it isn't hard to made curtains
I made my kitchen and bedroom ones.
I used extra wide eyelet lace on them.
We are getting ready to move into our new home we are building.
I may make my bedroom and I know the kitchen there.
they have some cute patterns ; if you can't sew without one.
I just meausred my windows and went from there. hugs Sheila

www.ohkayteagirl2.blogspot.com
http;//www.sheilascreativetouches.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Why is it so hard to find?? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page