Teacher Mommy
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

Linda
Santa Cruz CA
USA
7 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2009 :  10:18:32 PM  Show Profile
Has anyone tried the recipe for the sourdough starter in the "Simply Bee Vol. 8 #2" issue?

I tried the process with King Arthur Flour as suggested, but I guess I got "regular-old" King Arthur four and not Organic flour. AND, I tried distilled water... but again, from a lower-end water company... After the first three days the mixture got funky and thin and had a layer of water seeping on top that turned grey-ish. Surprisingly, it did develop yeast and I made a loaf of bread that was not great, but rose as if it were "yeasty."

I went out and got true organic flour and bought a bottle of water imported from Italy (I also but a drop of "de-chloronator" from my fish supplies in the water) and I can't believe the difference.

Yikes, am I scared about the food we're eating these days! The difference was SO observable, I think I will suggest it as a science fair project for my Middle-Schooler next year!

chessie
True Blue Farmgirl

403 Posts

Karen
Vista CA
USA
403 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2009 :  10:29:08 PM  Show Profile
Hi Linda, Welcome! Yes, a bunch of us farmgirls are making "artisan bread the MaryJane way" and we are discussing our sourdough adventures over in the "farm kitchen". We want you to come over and join us. There is a lot to read through, a lot of great, encouraging, enlightening and informative info, and if you are like me, you'll love it. See you there, Karen
here's a link:
http://www.maryjanesfarm.com/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=28238

www.edgehillherbfarm.com "where the name is bigger than the farm, but no one seems to mind"
blog http://edgehillherbfarmer.spaces.live.com/default.aspx?wa=wsignin1.0
happy farmgirl #89
Go to Top of Page
  Weather Report: Previous Topic Sourdough bread Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page