Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Parenting & Farm Kids
 creative "toys" for kids
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic creative "toys" for kids Next Topic  

farmgrlchick
True Blue Farmgirl

439 Posts

Theresa
Columbus Montana
USA
439 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2006 :  12:53:11 PM  Show Profile
I was looking for ideas for indoor play during the winter. I have two to share
1. cardboard boxes and packaging tape.Along with crayons, markers , colored pencils. This keeps my boys occupied for hours. adding sciccors is fun too, but you have to judge your own children's experience. Of course they do make children's sciccors. They have made two story bird houses, graham crackers, tools, cut out brdies, combs, ect. My husband isn't too thrilled when he needs the packaging tape and it is all gone, but I think to myself,thatwascheap entertainment!

2. They LOVE forts! I once gave a gift to a girlfriend, who had her first born, a son. An extra large pickle jar filled with ropes, clamps,(the kind woodworkers use) and flashlights. With a tag that stated:
add blankets, chairs or tables
mix in A Daddy, Mommy or friend
sprinkle with imagination
and your Fortwill take you in.

Anyone else?

Meg
Moderator/Farmgirl True

974 Posts

Meg
Idaho
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2006 :  1:30:11 PM  Show Profile
Theresa,

My husband and I are painting our living room this week. We have our couches kind of piled in the center of the room. My brother and his fiance were over last night and we were joking about how it sure would make a great fort! Then we spent a substantial amount of time remembering our childhood 'forts'. A fort kit is a GREAT idea! Wonderful memories...

MaryJane's daughter,

Meg
megan@maryjanesfarm.org
Go to Top of Page

farmgrlchick
True Blue Farmgirl

439 Posts

Theresa
Columbus Montana
USA
439 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2006 :  1:57:36 PM  Show Profile

Dear Meg,
Thank you for your kind words! We also built forts in our living room. As I was reading back over my post, more little "tag poems" came to me. Whoever uses this idea could beevery creative.

Farmgirl Blessings,
Theresa
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2006 :  06:18:00 AM  Show Profile
Theresa,
I know it's often joked about that kids can have more fun with the box that a toy came in...but it's so true!
Our backyard looks like a junkyard oftentimes. My hubby used to be bothered by it, but now he actually likes it. We'll spend time sitting and watching our girls build things from all the "treasure" back there. Forts are a big hit. The animals usually go and inspect after the fort is done. It'll last a week or so and then all the materials come down to build another one.

After Hurrican Rita, we had a huge oak tree down. The kids from all around came over and the most wonderful fort with rooms and a kitchen was made. It was a huge eyesore but such a childhood experience. All the kids would contribute stuff and would build on it even when we weren't home. The tree finally had to be cut. I know those kids will always remember it.

Oh, about tape....I can't keep enough tape to keep my youngest happy. In fact, she thinks it's such a special gift when I buy her tape of her own. I have to keep a private stash so hubby has some when he needs it.

Blessings
Catherine

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

farmgrlchick
True Blue Farmgirl

439 Posts

Theresa
Columbus Montana
USA
439 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2006 :  09:52:51 AM  Show Profile
You know what Catherine, I know EXACTLY what you are talking about! I alway look out the window and think oh my goodness, the clean-up is going to be work.

You're right about the private stash of tape.

Theresa
Go to Top of Page

Rebekka Mae
True Blue Farmgirl

965 Posts

Rebekka
Moscow ID
USA
965 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2006 :  1:08:43 PM  Show Profile
Make tree blocks together with a handsaw, sand paper and beeswax to finish the edges(see the post under holidays)

Keep a basket of silks or scarves in many colors- these become capes, forts, lakes, etc.

Baskets of shells, chestnuts, balls of yarn, smooth stones etc that become money, food to 'cook', etc.

Also- invest in child sized brooms, drying racks, garden tools etc so that you children can enjoy 'helping' you with real work- they will often surprise you with thier ability and even if it takes twice as long to clean with them it is well worth it to give them a chance to reap the rewards of a job well done.

Look for ideas for homemade toys by visiting waldorf online stores like A Childs Dream Come True or A Toy Garden (or search for waldorf toys on ebay) Since waldorf schools stress the use of natural materials this is a great way to get ideas for SIMPLE handmade items.
Go to Top of Page

farmgrlchick
True Blue Farmgirl

439 Posts

Theresa
Columbus Montana
USA
439 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2006 :  7:40:51 PM  Show Profile
Rebekka,
I love your ideas, I need to get silks or scarves! Good idea! I just love all your ideas Thank you!
Theresa
Go to Top of Page

Whimsy_girl
True Blue Farmgirl

576 Posts

USA
576 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2006 :  7:45:32 PM  Show Profile
BUBBLE WRAP!

If we get anything that includes bubble wrap my toddlers will stomp it for days.

you can be oh so smart, or you can be oh so positive. I wasted a lot of time being smart I prefer being positive.
Go to Top of Page

Rebekka Mae
True Blue Farmgirl

965 Posts

Rebekka
Moscow ID
USA
965 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2006 :  7:33:59 PM  Show Profile
Theresa-
For inexpensive silk habotai scarves and yardage go to Dharma Trading company online - each silk scarf (35" by 35" or 30' by 30" are good sizes to start) should be about 2-3 dollars. Then order one each yellow, red, and blue setacolor silk dye. You can dilute them in water to dye the silks and mix colors to make purple, green, orange, etc. If you sprinkle salt on them the results are very cool- just don't overdo it. Put silks on the line to dry on a rainy day and they will have raindrops on them (good for blue!).
Feel free to email me with questions.
Rebekka
Go to Top of Page

farmgrlchick
True Blue Farmgirl

439 Posts

Theresa
Columbus Montana
USA
439 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2006 :  08:07:22 AM  Show Profile
Bobbi, I know exactly what you mean about bubble wrap. We jsut recieved a late christmas gift in the mail, the real present was the bubble wrap inside though, ssshhh, don't tell the kids!

Thanks Rebekka for the super tip, I emailed you!

Theresa
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2006 :  3:57:54 PM  Show Profile
I love it when we get anything that comes in a big box - my son absolutely LOVES to hammer, saw, cut, nail (OK, I let him use real nails when I'm close by) and whatever else. He calls the boxes his "workshop." It's so cute! I know what you gals mean when you say that sometimes the toys that are "created" by the child are the best. I've found that, as strange as it is to say, some sticks and rocks and the great outdoors are all we really need on some days to keep my little one busy for as long as I can put off feeding him! He really puts up a feist when it's time to eat and he's in the middle of a "work project" as he calls them (he's 2-1/2!).

I am really interested in the scarves - how fun! With a new little one on the way, I think I'll invest. These ideas are great!

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2006 :  12:06:48 AM  Show Profile
I was just re-reading these ideas and thinking that as my little one gets older and older, I find that he really does choose toys he "makes" versus toys that can be purchased. The only exception for him are tractors - I think he's put more miles on his little John Deeres than most of the "real" farmers around here!

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page
  Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic creative "toys" for kids Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page