Shi-anne
True Blue Farmgirl

596 Posts

Cheryl
Ada OK
USA
596 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2009 :  8:30:22 PM  Show Profile
I recently felt the need to teach basic kitchen skills (maybe I've been reading to much MJ, nah), to young people. We live about 13 miles from town and our home is a mobile home. So where would I teach?

After giving this some thought for a few weeks, I sent an email to the continuing education dept. at the local university. Basically, I told them my idea, stating with our schools no longer offering home ec classes and most mothers and grandmothers working it would
seem we are raising a generation of children that do not have basic cooking skills.

To make a long story short, today I received an email asking for a proposal for the summer session. They wanted to know what age group I would like to teach, days, length of class, what I would expect to be paid, etc.

So, now that I have stuck my neck out, I have about three weeks to pull all this together.

1) I need ideas for fun recipes for kids.

2) If you allowed your child to attend a cooking class what are some of the things you would hope they would learn?

I would like for the students to prepare 2 or 3 different recipes during each class. Then for the last class prepare an entire meal. Do you think that would be too much?

For the first class I am thinking of fresh fruits with fruit dip, as it is nutrious, kids always like fresh fruit and the time of year will be right to take advantage of cheaper fruit prices. Along with the fruit, I am thinking either grilled cheese sandwiches or pizza quicks.

The class will probably run for 7 to 8 weeks.

The good news is, they jumped at the idea! I was overwhelmed. I did an internet search and learned this is the latest "fad" for kids. There were over 3 million sites that came up and most were parents wanting to find cooking classes for their children.

So you might want to think about putting something together for your area of the country.

I notice that one school in Dallas charges $55.00 per student, per single 2 hour class. I am not asking for that kind of fee from the college. Mainly, I just want our children to be able to do for themselves.

I was wondering what you gals think about making bake overs for one class. What do you think?

Farmgirls don't have hot flashes ~ They have power surges!

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2009 :  8:44:18 PM  Show Profile
Cheryl - good for you!! I totally agree, kids need these skills. I think bakeovers are a great idea because then kids can customize with what they like at home, plus they are fun.
My son had a cooking class in an afterschool program and they did something like that - I know they made nachos, I think french toast too!!
Good luck with everything
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2009 :  8:45:57 PM  Show Profile
Cheryl - good for you!! I totally agree, kids need these skills. I think bakeovers are a great idea because then kids can customize with what they like at home, plus they are fun.
My son had a cooking class in an afterschool program and they did something like that - I know they made nachos, I think french toast too!!
Good luck with everything
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2009 :  9:34:52 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I would say

Teach them how to make a good omelet
a good marinara sauce (to be adapted for spaghetti, lasagna, etc)
homemade pizza with homemade crust
And maybe an easy dessert like apple crisp or cherry cobbler.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

City Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Deb
Chattanooga TN
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2009 :  03:57:19 AM  Show Profile
I think it's a great idea! My oldest participated in a reading/cooking group when she was in 1st grade. It was through our school district enrichment program. They cooked an item from the book they were reading. We still have the cookbook - she's in 5th grade.

I like the idea of homemade pizza - dough. Perhaps bread - an easy recipe of course. What about introducing them to organic produce? Kitchen safety is of most importance to me.

In our Girl Scout event book they have a huge list of outings with food themes. A holiday chocolate house, Mexican food, cookies, Mother's Day celebration (fruit arrangement, frittata & strawberry swirl muffin) Soups - just to name a few.

Our park district is always open to ideas. I'm sure they would consider something like this. I'd have to find the time.

Good luck toyou!

http://www.xanga.com/My_Pondering_Place
Go to Top of Page

maerwert
Farmgirl in Training

12 Posts

Mary
Mulino OR
USA
12 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2009 :  07:36:56 AM  Show Profile
My suggestion is salads. Kids aren't eating enough vegetables and fruits these days and they love salads. It is something they can contribute at home by being the salad chef. They could learn how to tear lettuce, chop and slice carefully or grate vegetables like zucchini and carrots. There are so many wonderful fruits, dried cherries, canned oranges and fresh mango to name a few, that can enliven a green salad; nuts too! They could also learn to prepare some healthy salad dressings using olive oil, balsamic vinegar, fresh herbs, garlic and a food processor or blender. Kids could toast their own crutons too.
Have fun, I think you have a great idea. Good luck.

berrypatchmom
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2009 :  07:47:05 AM  Show Profile
What age group will you be working with and how long will the classes be? I think this sounds GREAT and FUN!

I would do a progressive type class. Maybe the first week focus mainly on storage and techniqes like cutting, peeling, washing etc of different things. You might want to talk about things like using a seperate board for meats and why. They could make a small snack this week. Then I would build on that. One thing you want to be careful of is trying to cram too much into one session. 3 recipes might be a bit too much!

I can't believe your schools don't have FCS(home ec) classes anymore! CRAZY!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2009 :  07:56:06 AM  Show Profile
What a brilliant idea, and the college thinks so too. That is wonderful.

Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2009 :  08:06:06 AM  Show Profile
Sounds like a wonderful idea! I would suggest making veges fun in some capacity, and while you're at it, since there ISN'T much in the way of home ec classes anymore, what about basic table settings (and manners!). I also still do dishes the way I was taught in home ec, so maybe some kitchen preparation would be good info, too.

I think the basics are a great way to start.
Go to Top of Page

LisaTwo
True Blue Farmgirl

127 Posts

Lisa
Hampden Maine
USA
127 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2009 :  08:07:20 AM  Show Profile
Cheryl,

Good for you!

We did the cooking badge in my 4th grade girl scout troop and made fruit smoothies and rice crispy treats. I would definitely do a day on measuring and equipment. (I asked my 14-year old to hand me a colander the other day and she gave me a meauring cup-no kidding. Where did I go wrong?) Maybe you could touch on what makes up a complete meal and for each class work on that and on the last one-do the complete meal. According to your ages-ya gotta keep em busy or chaos starts to creep in. Oh and if any moms ask if you need them to stay and help~TAKE THEM UP ON IT! Also, make sure that cleaning up is part of the whole lesson. Oh this sounds like fun! Good luck!

Lisa

Imagining a place that's always safe and warm...Come in she said I'll give ya shelter from the storm. ***Dylan
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2009 :  08:42:11 AM  Show Profile
Cheryl, What a great idea! The possibilities are endless. Does Ada have a farmers market? Most adults don't know how to shop, let alone children. Take them to the grocery store. Show them the healthy alternatives. I agree with Deb, safty is most important. Next, in the catagory of things not taught, CLEAN UP!

On what to cook, I agree with soups and stews. It is very economical and can feed 2 to 20. Homemade soup made with fresh ingredients fits everybodies budget and diet. Teach the kids to read the labels and stress the importants of limiting sodium. Anyone can open a can of campbells soup or pour melted cheese on a chip.

Have fun with this. What an opportunity to help your community.
Go to Top of Page

Shi-anne
True Blue Farmgirl

596 Posts

Cheryl
Ada OK
USA
596 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2009 :  09:09:30 AM  Show Profile
You gals are so good! I've been working on "what my ideas" for the class should be - lots to write up for the proposal. I've put the ages from 9 to 13, but that I would be willing to consider 7 and 8 year olds if they are attending with an older sibbling. Class time - I am looking at 1:00 - 3:00 p.m., one day a week. I am thinking that I'll be able to break the class up into thirty minute sections, talking about and preparing one food in each of the first three with the last thirty minutes being for tasting and clean up. I hope to be able to allow them to take home samples of their work.

If there is a lot of interest, I am sure they would want to consider another class, perhaps for young teens. So in the back of my mind, I am also considering what recipes would be age appropriate for both groups. It want to keep it relatively simple, fun and foods they will enjoy making.

Go to Top of Page

Shi-anne
True Blue Farmgirl

596 Posts

Cheryl
Ada OK
USA
596 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2009 :  09:12:01 AM  Show Profile
Here is a copy of the description of the class (what I was up until 2 this morning working on). Please proof read and see how it comes across to you.

A Brief Description of the Class

Kids in the Kitchen

Kids in the Kitchen will enable children to have a better understanding of nutrition, along with increasing the students’ vocabulary as they work with cooking terms. They will be gaining comprehension skills as they learn to follow a recipe. In addition students will be working with math skills including addition, fractions, logical thinking and sequencing. It is my hope that this class will give each student a sense of accomplishment, increasing confidence and self-esteem, while learning that cooking can be both fun and rewarding.

By the end of the session each child should be able to prepare simple snacks for themselves and be able to help prepare meals for their family following simple recipes.

This class is designed for children 9 to 13 years of age, but can be expanded with the age lowered to 7 or 8 (particularly if there are two children from the same family and both desire to take the class). May we inspire, encourage and excite the cooks of tomorrow.

Go to Top of Page

JessieMae
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Jessie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2009 :  09:28:54 AM  Show Profile
This is a great idea...good for you for sharing such good info with our kids! I am a former health teacher, and my first year of teaching I was very surprised at how little kids today know about nutrition and cooking. 172 years ago, when I was in school, we had home economics AND health class! Such a shame we can't give our kids the same opportunities we had.
I've been trying to think about kid-friendly recipes...yogurt shakes / smoothies come to mind, as does macaroni-and-cheese (not from a box!). If your area is economically-deprived, multiple ways to eat eggs (fried, scrambled, omelet, etc.) are good because a dozen eggs can last a while and be prepared in lot of different ways. Baked apples, too, might be good (fruit that looks like dessert...how can you go wrong?).
I still remember - but cannot recommend - what we learned to cook in home ec: among other things, sausage-link sandwiches and elephant ears made out of canned biscuit dough!
Go to Top of Page

peachy
True Blue Farmgirl

593 Posts

Melissa
Fennville MI
USA
593 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2009 :  10:59:01 AM  Show Profile  Send peachy a Yahoo! Message
Great idea! I've been working with my girls here in my kitchen and they love it! Right now the only thing that comes to my mind from home ec is measuring, setting a table, starting out making "simple" things...omelets, cookies etc. and at the end of our semester we had to come up with a meal idea, make it, invite one of our teachers and serve it to them! Good luck with this, it sounds wonderful!!

Melissa
Farmgirl #360

Life isn't about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain!
Go to Top of Page

Shi-anne
True Blue Farmgirl

596 Posts

Cheryl
Ada OK
USA
596 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2009 :  12:29:44 PM  Show Profile
Yes, Ada has a farmers' market, but only on Wednesdays and Saturdays. Too, I am not sure if the college would want us running around in their van. If only, because the peach farms around here would be great to visit, even allow the students to pick peaches.

You gals have giving me so many great ideas, I am working on another proposal for fall for older kids. One where we can prepare more difficult recipes and also examine the difference between organic and regular supermarket fare. I would like this second class to explore the farm to table relationship in greater detail.

JessieMae, 172 years ago? Okay, you go girl! LOL

Go to Top of Page

milkmaid
True Blue Farmgirl

187 Posts

Heather
Higginsville Missouri
USA
187 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2009 :  12:43:16 PM  Show Profile
This is a great idea!! I have taught cooking classes for 4-H and I think it is well needed. Don't forget the basics... how use measuring cups/spoons.. how to measure dry vs wet ingredients.. how to read a recipe... how to keep your area clean as you cook.... stove/oven safty..... The first few classes we did in 4-h were these basic skills then we get in to the fun cooking part.. you could have a different theme for each week.... salads...baking... side dishes....drinks and smoothies...main dishes and as they progress in their skills you can add more difficult recipes. I love teaching kids to cook they get so excited and proud!!

http://goodfarm.blogspot.com/

Mother to five awesome kids, wife of 17 years and milk maid to two beautiful cows. Living the good life!!!
Go to Top of Page

Suzan
True Blue Farmgirl

659 Posts

suzanne
duncannon pa
USA
659 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2009 :  2:19:01 PM  Show Profile
I definitely second the suggestions to teach them about basic equipment and how to use it, how to clean up, nutrition etc. I still think of my 4H leaders and home ec teacher often when I cook and sew. I use what I was taught and marvel at how little of that type of education wasn't available to my kids.

Edited by - Suzan on Feb 10 2009 2:19:23 PM
Go to Top of Page

vintagediva1
True Blue Farmgirl

1251 Posts

Michele
Brighton Michigan
USA
1251 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2009 :  2:37:00 PM  Show Profile
What a terrific idea!!!
There are so many young adults out there that don't know thing one about cooking.
You might assume that they know how to cook basics like rice and scallloped potatoes but I have learned that an awful lot of kids think the only rice is Minute rice and Scal potatoes come from a box. ditto mac and cheese.
You won't be able to stop their enthusiasm when they find out about "scratch" cooking and.... how much money can be saved.
I always cooked with my kids and my 25 year old son is a chef in a local fine dining restaurant and even made all the food for his own wedding reception.
Have fun
Michele

Love that good ole vintage junk
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Here is an idea/ I need help! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page