Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 I can always get in trouble at an auction!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic I can always get in trouble at an auction! Next Topic  

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2009 :  10:48:14 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Summer, spring, fall or winter...If there's an auction in striking distance, I'll find it! I once asked Nancy Jo to shoot me so I'd stop, but she declined and said she'd probably go with me if she could. Here's my latest auction stuff:
ca.1890's knockdown painted cabinet

Then, to make my dh happy, I(we) took it to the antique mall and put a price tag on it and put stuff in it:

I like it a lot. Pretty much don't mind if I get 'stuck' with it. But there's another auction with a nice cabinet this Saturday.....
Also got this nifty wooden barn purse:

Also this old rooster cart toy

Last, but not least, some Jumbo peanutbutter jars. I've only recently discovered these and just can't seem to get enough(up to four now)

and a tiny bisque flask with a pitbull on it

They had lots more stuff I wanted, but the dh sits next to me. Here's his trick....he will ask me(just making conversation...) "So what do you think? What's your range?" When I tell him the range I have in mind, as soon as I get to it, he's right in my ear, like a little conscience, saying..."Stop, Stop!" LOL

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'

harmonyfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

785 Posts

Debbie
Southeastern Ohio
USA
785 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2009 :  10:54:47 AM  Show Profile
What an excellent cabinet! I'm amazed that the doors still have glass in them....my DH and I go to auctions as often as we can. But we cannot buy furniture unless we take a piece out of our house. We have to make room for it....keep up the good hunting...I love your stuff!

Debbie

"If you can't find the time to do it right...how will you find the time to do it over"
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2009 :  11:11:14 AM  Show Profile
Janice,
Wow I just love all the pictures. A Little confused, not unusual for me, so not to worry. But do you sell things at the antique mall? I didn't know that. So you bought the cupboard, and then put the stuff in it and hope to sell it? Is all that stuff in it yours? Are you selling that stuff too. I want you to go right now and bring that all home!! Now the peanut butter jars? I don't think I have ever seen those have I? What years were those around? The little rooster cart is so cute. The purse and flask. You will have to recruit someone other then me to stop you from going to auctions. I was a bad choice for that job.
Nancy Jo

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2009 :  11:21:55 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Yes, I have a booth in a mall just across the bridge in New Albany, In. We had to cart the cabinet up the longest set of ca 1850 stairs(no elevator in the old building) I've ever walked up. It was kind of push, pull and drag. Dh not happy about that. I had things on a table which I replaced with the cabinet. If I didn't enjoy playing around with the booth, I'd give it up. Business was pretty dreadful last summer. But the bridge from here to there was closed a lot, too(repairs, etc.). And it's fun just messing around in there. Sort of like playing house...arranging and rearranging.

I'm not sure of the era on the elephant peanut butter jars. They didn't sell that brand around here, either.

Farmgirl Sister #50

'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2009 :  12:32:29 PM  Show Profile
That wooden purse is so cute. I love auctions, but I get so nervous my heart just beats like crazy when whatever I want comes up. I could probably have a heart attack. I went to an auction at our elemtary school years ago and found the most beautiful rug that I just HAD to have. When it came up for bid I started and another lady bid and that's all it took and they knew it. I paid alot for that rug but I got it! So I don't go to auctions much anymore. It's too dangerous for me. I am going to go to the livestock auction this Friday, though. Gotta have some chickens!

Kris

Turn your face to the sun and the shadows fall behind you. Maori proverb
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2009 :  1:56:27 PM  Show Profile
Shoot , I even enjoyed the livestock auction I went to last Tuesday. I have gone to other auctions and Loved them , Haven't found any here yet...I love the peanut butter jars..I am wondering too what yea were they around? Now I have to start looking for those too....* my list is growing...

Cheryl
Farmgirl #309

Almost daily posts at:
http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
Come visit the barn at http://barndoorcreations.blogspot.com/

Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise',
I wash my mouth out with chocolate.
Go to Top of Page

farm~maid
True Blue Farmgirl

176 Posts

Christine
IN
USA
176 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2009 :  2:13:45 PM  Show Profile
Oh, what fun! You sure got some great things.
I enjoy auctions, too. My husband and I used to go often, but not as much since we moved to this old farm. I need to get back out there as I'm needing a few more pieces to decorate.
Cheryl, livestock auctions can be fun, too.

Christine
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2009 :  4:52:56 PM  Show Profile
Oh boy - I have to stay away from auctions - I have no self control. Is that chicken toy for sale in your shop? Love your finds and I might have to go again out there just take a trusted friend to hold my wallet..

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

miss wilma
True Blue Farmgirl

3410 Posts

Wilma
Knob Lick Ky
USA
3410 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2009 :  6:10:11 PM  Show Profile
Grace just my luck to have to spend the day with doctors, I love the toy to, if you dont buy it and its still for sale let me know

Farm Girl #96

http://www.picturetrail.com/misswilmasplace

http://misswilma.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2009 :  6:50:28 PM  Show Profile
you gals in Kentucky just have way too much fun, find way too many wondrouse treasures, and I tell you I am green with envy!!!!! But I love you........thanks for the photos.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2009 :  7:06:28 PM  Show Profile
Janice you are great at auctions. nice cabinet for your stuff. That barn purse is great. MB

http://www.smallcityscenes.blogspot.com
www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

miss wilma
True Blue Farmgirl

3410 Posts

Wilma
Knob Lick Ky
USA
3410 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2009 :  7:36:56 PM  Show Profile
Jeannie I personally promise when you come to Ky I will take you junking

Farm Girl #96

http://www.picturetrail.com/misswilmasplace

http://misswilma.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Mother Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Cindy
Peck ID
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2009 :  10:12:07 PM  Show Profile
Janice, I love the stuff you got at the auction. I love auctions too. Like Kris, I went to an elementary school auction years ago, this was a silent auction and I got a table top loom, all wooden, it was really neat, great conversation piece. Then I moved to IL and didn't have room for it anymore. I sold it on ebay to a woman in Montana I think it was. I made $100 on my little investment thanks to ebay. I was tickled!
Hey, I wonder if that woman is a farmgirl here??? If you read this and you bought that table top loom please email me. It would be so fun to know it was a farmgirl.
Anyway, I digress. Janice your stuff is great and I only wish my hubby would let me go to auctions more often. All I ever get now is dropping off at the livestock auction (he rarely lets me go in) and the yearly farm auction with lots of implements and t-posts, etc.
Cindy

I will bless the Lord at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth. Psalms 34:1
Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2009 :  06:39:07 AM  Show Profile
Janice....COOL STUFF!!! I have a flea market booth here too but not doing much at the moment. I have a cupboard like yours except mine is turquoise old paint peeling and chipping all over the place! I need to take sandpaper to it as I'm sure it is probably lead-based paint. You have such treasures in KY!!!! AR has some too but down here you need to go to auctions to get any "deals" and that is WAY too dangerous for me! I NEED a dh to rein me in but don't have one so I would be in the poor house if I went. Maybe I could rent one just to go to auctions with me...of course when I had a husband I never listened to him so it would probably be a waste of money to rent one.
Anyway...I just LOVE your stuff and keep up the good work!!!

Sam in AR..... "It's a great life if you don't weaken!"
Farmgirl Sister #226

www.farmgirlsam.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

harmonyfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

785 Posts

Debbie
Southeastern Ohio
USA
785 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2009 :  10:16:54 AM  Show Profile
I always worried about going crazy at auctions too...so much that it kept me from going. And where's the fun in that? So, I devised a system. When an item came up for auction, I set an amount in my head that is the most I will pay for something and if the bidding goes higher, then I don't get the item. I don't bid on anything unless I have a definate need for it. (like homesteading stuff)or the item will add to an ongoing collection or I'm getting it for a Christmas gift. I love going to auctions and it is so much fun, once you get the hang of it. Sometimes the amount you set in your head is way ABOVE what you get the item for....
Happy hunting!
Debbie

"If you can't find the time to do it right...how will you find the time to do it over"
Go to Top of Page

kpaints
True Blue Farmgirl

1564 Posts

karen
cheney wa
1564 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2009 :  12:03:38 PM  Show Profile  Send kpaints an AOL message
Janice such cool stuff, I have never been to an auction. I think I would be intimidated. Love all the furniture you have down there. That toy is sooooo cute! Let me know a price if Wilma passes on it. Thanks, happy auctioning!

Find your joy and live it. http://cheneybaglady.blogspot.com/http://www.kpaints.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2009 :  1:00:47 PM  Show Profile
I think I would be intimidated too. Or afraid I'd scratch my head and accidentally buy something. But someday I'd like to go to one...
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2009 :  1:02:14 PM  Show Profile
Sorry, forgot to add...I love the cabinet. Too bad you can't pack it up and mail it to me, I need something like that in my kitchen.
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2009 :  02:47:07 AM  Show Profile
jancie you go girl, the barn purse is grand but I personally know that you find great purses, because I own one from you.
That rooster with the cart is the bomb girl, but the cabinet is wow oh wow. I know save my pennies for this year....grin.....

www.Quitemoments.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2009 :  06:25:06 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
I always find wooden purses, Carol Sue. And that rooster cart may end up as part of a table decoration at Wilma's next fall! :D I'm going to an auction Saturday and there's another cabinet I'm looking at in the listing pics.....oops....I have to remember to turn my deaf ear side to David while I bid this time. HAHA!!!

Farmgirl Sister #50

'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

Lainey
True Blue Farmgirl

2401 Posts

Elaine
Waco Kentucky
USA
2401 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2009 :  08:53:37 AM  Show Profile
Very nice stuff you got there Janice! I went a few times with relatives to auctions when I was a kid. My great grandfather had an antiques and furniture store, my cousins have one in the same place now. There's an auction place just down the road from where I work, I haven't been there yet.

Farmgirl Sister #25

http://countrygirldreams.blogspot.com/

An Angel says, 'Never borrow from the future. If you worry about what may happen tomorrow and it doesn't happen, you have worried in vain. Even if it does happen, you have to worry twice.'
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2009 :  11:18:32 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
You should give it a try sometime, Lainey. You really never know what may be lurking in a box or under a table. You have to have patience and be willing to wait for what you want. My dh takes a book. ;) Maybe if I find him a good enough book, he'll forget to watch what I'm bidding on. LOL!

Farmgirl Sister #50

'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

Lainey
True Blue Farmgirl

2401 Posts

Elaine
Waco Kentucky
USA
2401 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2009 :  12:55:51 PM  Show Profile
hehehe. Yes, I think I will. I'd like to try this one down the road from work, I've heard they have some good stuff usually.

Farmgirl Sister #25

http://countrygirldreams.blogspot.com/

An Angel says, 'Never borrow from the future. If you worry about what may happen tomorrow and it doesn't happen, you have worried in vain. Even if it does happen, you have to worry twice.'
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic I can always get in trouble at an auction! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page