Author Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic MJF Everyday /Simply Bee Next Topic  

Desiree
Farmgirl in Training

48 Posts

Desiree

USA
48 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2009 :  08:25:50 AM  Show Profile
MaryJanesFarm has been part of my everyday living since I moved to South West Idaho in the summer of 2003. Shortly after settling here from California I came across Mary Janes second magazine, The Art of the Egg, which I purchased. When I tried to get my hands on the Premiere Issue I was told it was sold out, but I could enjoy the magazine with a traveling journal. I signed up and when the magazine arrived with the journal I was thrilled. Looking through the journal there were farmgirl entries of art, poetry, collage, photos and more. The issue reminded me of a 1916 calendar my grandma gave me. The picture on the calendar was her around the age of 2 feeding chickens. Her father was a poultry dealer in Kansas and the calendar was given to his clients. July 11, 2004, I quickly wrote in the jounal, scanned the calendar, put it on my journal page and sent it on its way.

Since then I have purchased farm house cuisne, bulk products and made one skillet meals. Bought and planted Leona Irises, which last year were absolutely beautiful with a wonderful aroma. Purchased the wire flower basket, which I have used for many creative arrangements.

I had been wanting to start a MJF Chapter here in Nampa, ID, and in November of 2007 finally did when a customer of mine at work said, just do it and I will come. When I received the MJF Chapter Kit I was so excited and then elated, because while looking through the kit I came across sample pages of the traveling journal and there was a copy of the page I had entered 3 years earlier. It touched my heart.

Our chapter Garden Gate Gals has many farmgirls through MJF contact form, which I would have not otherwise met. Our chapter gals have made aprons, eye pillows, crocheted washcloths, made bread, planted and swapped seeds, made soap and more. We have also gone to "town" and on a mini field trip to a vintage fabric shop. I would love to share some of our pictures sometime. Yes, we do have a henhouse but it needs some work.

Here is the reason I originally wanted to write. The latest magazine issue, Simply Bee. As a child while running through sprinklers on the grass I would accidently step on a bee hanging out on clover. I would say, "ouch", hop around on one leg, sit down, pull out the stinger, get up and keep playing. Never thinking at the time how important bees are. I have not finished reading the enitre magazine, but this issue will definitely be one of my favorites. I have taught classes on rolling beeswax candles and had honey tastings. To help my pre-k class learn about pollination and what bees do for us, I make pretend bees for them to put on their fingers so they can buzz around the room to find a flower. I have a wonderful Nector Collector Bee Boardgame which was originally created in 1930, that teaches everything MaryJanesFarm is all about. Nature, conservation, cooperation, self-sufficiency, social values, peaceful and simple living. (The same company had a Organic Farm Boardgame also.) In the game rules book there is 2 pages written in 1978 about pesticides and how they will impact bees and hives in the near future. The future is here. This is a poem I enjoy reciting. "Bees work for man; and yet they never bruise their master's flower, but leave it, having done, as fair as ever, and as fit to use: so both the flower doth stay, and honey run. By George Herbert - 1633

Oops, I can't save to review for later or spell check. Need to type in word first? New to this web writing. Hope all sounds OK!!!!

Simple Living With Nature.........

Edited by - Desiree on Feb 10 2009 4:13:29 PM

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2009 :  08:30:09 AM  Show Profile
What a wonderful story Desiree - welcome to the forum!! I will have to look for those boardgames, they sound great. I'm also interested in that vintage fabric shop you mentioned......where might that be? Anyhow, thank you for sharing your inspiration, your journey to MJF sounds like mine and it is good to see our numbers growing. My goal this year is bee-friendly garden
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2009 :  08:33:23 AM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
thanks for sharing Desiree.
Your adventures are great!

Linda in Scranton, PA
farmgirl #71
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2009 :  08:34:59 AM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
Have you seen this little video? Its about MaryJane, queen bee, and where our site came from!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcn21XuJNVI

Linda in Scranton, PA
farmgirl #71
Go to Top of Page

Mountain Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

JoAnn
Colville Washington
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2009 :  08:37:26 AM  Show Profile
Desiree, that was beautiful! I too signed up to get the traveling journal and a chance to see the Premiere Issue. I remember treating it like a rare book and was worried I'd spill coffee on it or something. I even got up in the middle of the night once to make sure I didn't leave it where a cat might decide to chew on it(it did things like that) I was lucky to get the Premiere Issue from a friend later. It has been fun to watch Maryjane's journey. JoAnn P.S. I go on and on about the Farm and magazine at my local fabric store that they now carry it in the Spokane store and when I walk in all the clerks say Hi Maryjane girl: )
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2009 :  08:38:33 AM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
JoAnn...that is sooooo cool!!!

Linda in Scranton, PA
farmgirl #71
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2009 :  11:18:14 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Desiree~ Great to have you! I am thrilled for your chapter, there is so much we can have fun doing sounds like your guys are tapped into that.

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185
http://farmchicksfarm.blogspot.com/

Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJane's has made us SISTERS :)
Go to Top of Page
  Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic MJF Everyday /Simply Bee Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page