kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2009 :  2:00:37 PM  Show Profile
It has been beautiful here the last few days and will be for a few days more. I worked outside a little today. Raked up some leaves and threw them on the garden and pulled up all the tomato stakes, finally.

I have my 2 calves out there and they were with me the whole time. There is manure all over that I need to shovel up and put on the garden, too. Silly cows! They poop all around the garden and there's just a little IN the garden. So more work for me to do. Which is a good thing, since I need the garden workout bad. I always rush in after not doing a thing all winter and pay for it later. But it sure does feel good!

I hope to get at least one garden plowed so we can plant potatoes this year. I got carried away with everything else, we forgot to save room for them. We will plant them in March for sure. And the onions, too.

I might just plant some spinach and lettuce in the next few weeks. I have some raised beds.

So I am getting a little antsy here with this nice weather. I know it will probably not last long, but it's great while it's here. And no heat on! Yeah!!!

Kris

Turn your face to the sun and the shadows fall behind you. Maori proverb

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2009 :  2:33:26 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Me too!! I am planting all my seeds tomorrow with Charlie. It will be a good learning project for him. I have some bigger seeds he can actually hold and plant. I swear I smell Spring here and we now have birds chirping for over a week and I can smell Spring on the air.

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2009 :  4:53:51 PM  Show Profile
Kristin - I can't wait to start getting the "garden workout" - I missed out last year and boy can I tell. We have a little longer to wait than you do though. I do have all my seeds, now I just need some patience
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2009 :  5:03:13 PM  Show Profile
Amy .. I need patience too..There is a really cold wind blowing in off the Lake today. Everytime i go out I think it looks Warmer than 45 degrees..The sun has shined all day.. I guess I need to be Thankfiul for that and stop complaining. I did get out my gaardenjournal today & decorated the cover... dreaming of Veggies growing..but it theywont be planted until late May here..

Cheryl
Farmgirl #309

Almost daily posts at:
http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
Come visit the barn at http://barndoorcreations.blogspot.com/

Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise',
I wash my mouth out with chocolate.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2009 :  5:23:54 PM  Show Profile
Cheryl, you need to move South. You could get started alot earlier! I know we really do have a way to go, but it's nice to have these days like today to want it all the more.

Amy Grace, I love the garden workout. it helps me get rid of the winter flab.

I hope you and Charlie have a good time planting seeds together. What are ya'll going to plant?

Kris

Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2009 :  5:57:17 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I have green beans, tomatoes, green onions, turnips, radishes, beets, peppers- and I will probably pick up more once I see how much room I have (or have not) : )

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!
Go to Top of Page

Buffalomary
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

Mary
Caldwell ID
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2009 :  6:08:59 PM  Show Profile
Oh, I know the feeling. Yesterday we finally went above 50! Yippee! Then today the sun was shining so brightly and the sky was a pretty blue and the outdoor thermometer was saying 50 that I decided to hang out my clothes on the line and then standing there next to my garden, telling myself to be patient. I have been real busy with homework, so need to find some time to plan when and where I am going to do everything. I can hardly wait!!

Buffalomary
Farmgirl Sister #293

You can take the farmer's daughter off the farm but you can't take the farm out of the farmer's daughter!!

Please visit me at my blog: http://buffalomaryscorner.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

5 acre Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1007 Posts

~~~*Terri*~~~
WA.
USA
1007 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2009 :  10:35:24 PM  Show Profile
I know what all mean...its time to get outside!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Farmgirl Sister #368

BRAND NEW PAGE>>>>>
PLEASE go to....
http://blogonthefarmandgarden.blogspot.com

http://froccsfrillsfurbiloesandmore.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

farmmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Kelley
Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2009 :  06:22:34 AM  Show Profile
Yep....I'm chomping at the bit, too! We already have our onions, cabbage and broccoli planted, have our seed potatoes, waiting on their eyes...and getting ready to plant some of the seeds I swaped with some farmgirls, and also STILL trying to make a final descision on my order to Baker Creek.....I want Sooooo much, but our garden plot this year is so much smaller than last year (we moved) so....I will also have a whole 'nother container garden!!!!
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2009 :  1:06:41 PM  Show Profile
Kelley, I am so jealous! You already have all that planted? I guess I need to get out there and start my spinach and lettuce. It's up to 72 here today! Hot. But the ground is still wet. So really need to wait a few more weeks.

Have fun! Kris

Go to Top of Page

Ingrid
True Blue Farmgirl

432 Posts

Ingrid
BC
Canada
432 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2009 :  2:05:18 PM  Show Profile
Me too. I want to be outside. It is warm here and my daffodils are about 3 inches tall and there is green on some of my early perennials but still too early to start digging much. But I've been outside cleaning up after winter. You know, branches that get blown around, clean up stuff. It has been nice - last night was the first rain in about a week. Still frosty in the morning but I can feel spring. The neighbour behind us has a brand new black angus calf. A little beauty. Spring is here.

Give thanks to yourself everyday for all the wonderful things you do!
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2009 :  4:11:46 PM  Show Profile
This is so exiting to hear about spring coming to all these different places. I am amazed that in Canada you have daffodils coming up already, too. I have seen some here, but only a few inches tall so far. After today they should be taking off.

I cleaned up around my chicken yard today. Lots of branches and boards all over. The pigs really made a mess in there. We'll have to make all new roosts and repair nesters or get more. Also paint the hen house again. The most important theing that needs to be done is to plow the groung all up and replant with good nutritious grasses for the new chickens. But it's still way too muddy out there.

It's so good to be able to get outside and not freeze. I love it.

And all the new baby animals are the best thing about all this. The cows around here are all done having their's. They always have them in Jan. on the coldest nights. The next day we can see all the new little ones running after their mommas. So cute. I love cows. I just found my old curry comb and went out to brush my 2 calves. they get those ole burrs all over them.

Hope ya'll have a great week. Kris

Go to Top of Page

cheryl sisk
Farmgirl in Training

18 Posts

cheryl
darien wi
USA
18 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2009 :  1:34:52 PM  Show Profile
HERE in WISCONSIN WE GOT UP TO 58 to 60 and it feels so good spring is on its way yea
Go to Top of Page

farmmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Kelley
Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2009 :  07:08:23 AM  Show Profile
Yes it's warmer here too, but we are in texas, so it never really get too COLD....lol....ya'll sould see all that's blooming here, I should take some pics and put them on here for you northern girls!
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2009 :  08:20:23 AM  Show Profile
Hmm - not so close to spring for us, we had more snow this morning. The middle two weeks of Feb. are tough, not close enough to March to get my hopes up yet. Last year I took the last week of March off work to get the garden going and it snowed the whole week - I was so depressed!! Let's just hope we have a normal (whatever that is) spring this year
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2009 :  09:11:35 AM  Show Profile
Well, I hope your spring this year is much better, Amy Grace. We never know what to expect here, either. Nice one day and crazy the next. Like right now we are supposed to be getting 30 MPH winds here this afternoon with maybe hail and lots of rain. I went ahead and put my 2 cow babies in the pasture where I had the pigs. The chicken house and stalls are there for them to get in if it gets too bad. the goats have their barn, so they should be ok. The weather guy just said to prepare for some power outages in some places. And it's supposed to be in the 70's. I just hope we don't have tornadoes. That's my worst fear is for a tornado to get down in this valley. It did one year and went through Chickmauga and killed a little girl in a trilor park. It was awful. It went right by our house in Flintstone. That's the worst sound ever. It sounded like the movie "The Langoliers" when the things were coming. Awful sound.

So I am as ready as I can be here. I need to get my bread baked asap. And dinner, too. Just in case!

Kris

Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2009 :  09:59:35 AM  Show Profile
Okay Kristin - will be thinking about you today!! Hope the weather doesn't do any damage
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2009 :  7:37:44 PM  Show Profile
Well, we got nothin'. Not much rain and hardly any wind. I was all prepared for the worst and nothing happened. I hope it just goes away. But I think it was going up North.

Thanks for thinking about me, though!

Kris

Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Just waiting for plantin' time! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page