Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Nifty Thrifty
 Did you know you can buy theses powdered?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic Did you know you can buy theses powdered? Next Topic  

summerbreeze
True Blue Farmgirl

277 Posts

Laura
WA
USA
277 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2009 :  2:08:16 PM  Show Profile
A friend of mine taught me this. It has saved me a ton of time and money. I now buy powdered eggs, buttermilk and lemon juice. They are great for baking, you can't tell the difference in baked goods and they have a long shelf life. I was always running out of these and having to run to the store. Every store trip costs me more money in gas and all the extra stuff I am temped to buy.

You only live once,if you do it right once is enough.

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2009 :  08:07:33 AM  Show Profile
I never heard of powdered buttermilk or lemon juice. I've never had lemon juice go bad, though. Buttermilk is another story. That would be good to have on hand as a powder, as long as it wasn't tainted with a bunch of chemicals. Powdered eggs...the only ones I've ever had that I liked were MaryJane's. All the rest are just nasty. Blech!

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog:
http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/

[size=1]My apron website:
http://lisamariesaprons.bravehost.com [size=1]
Go to Top of Page

Lanna
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lanna
A little town in Idaho
330 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2009 :  11:43:16 PM  Show Profile
Ooh, powdered buttermilk? I need to look into that. :)

Lanna, mama to three little monkeys
Go to Top of Page

StarMeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

940 Posts

T
MI
940 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2009 :  06:08:25 AM  Show Profile
In a pinch, can't you use a little lemon juice in milk to turn it into buttermilk??? Maybe it's TOO much of a pinch to use powdered for both! LOL
Go to Top of Page

lovelady
True Blue Farmgirl

533 Posts

Toni
Indiana
USA
533 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2009 :  08:51:18 AM  Show Profile
I use the powdered buttermilk in all my baked goods that call for buttermilk. You can find it in the aisle with the other baking supplies like flour and sugar. The kind I get comes in a round container. I added some into a pie crust for my beef pot pie the other night and it was very good. THe ingredients say "a cultured blend of sweet cream churned buttermilk, sweet dairy whey, and lactic acid". You use 4 Tb per cup of water. I have never tried powdered eggs, though. That is interesting. Hopefully this spring I'll be able to get some chicks and buying eggs won't be an issue!
Go to Top of Page

Pammy
True Blue Farmgirl

66 Posts

Michigan
USA
66 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2009 :  09:25:47 AM  Show Profile
I would make sure you knew what kind of eggs are used in the powdered eggs, quite often they use cracked eggs or eggs that can not be sold whole in powdered eggs and in dry mixes that you don't have to add eggs to-so they aren't quality eggs. I don't know much about the buttermilk, I have used the powdered before. I keep powdered milk on hand, I found Organic Valley brand and bought it, it is a little expensive, but would rather have it and not have to throw away milk-as we don't use much.
Pam
Go to Top of Page

barnagainkristin
True Blue Farmgirl

465 Posts

Kristin
Utah
USA
465 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2009 :  8:29:59 PM  Show Profile
Laura,
Can you find these items at the regular grocery store? I would love to have powdered eggs since our chickens are sort of random at how many eggs they lay and every so often we run out. The free range thing is great but ours have an acre to run and tend to hide their eggs in funny places on their play days :) They sure are happy little ladies though. Thanks for the idea. I have used soy powder in place of eggs when baking but I can't ever seem to remember how much to substitute. Thanks for sharing these ideas.

barnagainkristin

"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves." John Muir
Go to Top of Page

DearMildred
True Blue Farmgirl

223 Posts

Amanda
Tulsa OK
USA
223 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2009 :  09:03:29 AM  Show Profile
You can definitely get powerdered buttermilk at the regular grocery store - the brand that comes to mind is Saco (?) but I don't have it in front of me to look at the ingredients. Round cannister, with the baking stuff. I use it occasionally and it works great. No more throwing out half a carton of buttermilk.

~~~Amanda in OK~~~

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves. ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

5 acre Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1007 Posts

~~~*Terri*~~~
WA.
USA
1007 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2009 :  04:31:31 AM  Show Profile
Where can one get the powdered lemon juice?, or did I read that wrong?

Farmgirl Sister #368

BRAND NEW PAGE>>>>>
PLEASE go to....
http://blogonthefarmandgarden.blogspot.com

http://froccsfrillsfurbiloesandmore.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2009 :  1:16:55 PM  Show Profile
I haven't seen powdered Lemon Juice but have seen Powdered Buttermilk at our Wal-Mart. It is in the baking aisle by the Nonfat Dry Milk.

Here's a replacement for eggs in baking:

1 Heaping Tablespoon Soy Flour to 1 Tablespoon Water per egg.

I have used this in breads, cookies and cakes and have had much success.

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

Go to Top of Page

harmonyfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

785 Posts

Debbie
Southeastern Ohio
USA
785 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2009 :  6:25:11 PM  Show Profile
Frontier Natural Products Co-op in Norway, Iowa has just about everything under the sun in powdered form...I just bought butter powder and I LOVE IT!

Debbie

"If you can't find the time to do it right...how will you find the time to do it over"
Go to Top of Page

2quilter
True Blue Farmgirl

127 Posts

Patricia
Greenwood IN
USA
127 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2010 :  1:32:24 PM  Show Profile
I found little packages of powdered lemon juice (similar in size to the splenda packs) at Farm King. I keep some in my purse for emergencies. A little bit of lemon cures a lot! (probably not really, but I like the taste anyway)

When life hands you scraps, make quilts!
Go to Top of Page

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2011 :  04:37:05 AM  Show Profile
Interesting, but do they contain preservatives, sodium, etc.?

Farmgirl #800
http://momzonetakingtimeformom.blogspot.com/

http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

CasieD
Farmgirl in Training

34 Posts

Casie
Edgar WI
USA
34 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2011 :  05:47:16 AM  Show Profile
I'll have to keep my eyes open for the powdered lemon juice, never even thought they had such a thing.

I do have powdered buttermilk. I've wasted so much of it in the past, powdered is very handy to have around.

I have my own eggs so no need for powdered one!
Go to Top of Page

2quilter
True Blue Farmgirl

127 Posts

Patricia
Greenwood IN
USA
127 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2011 :  06:17:03 AM  Show Profile
"TRUE LEMON" 1 packet = 1 large wedge, 2 packets = 1 T lemon juice.

Ingredients: Citric Acid, Evaporated Cane Juice, Lemon Juice, Lemon Oil, Asorbic Acid. Their website is www.truelemon.com. MADE IN THE USA

Zero calories, less than 1g carbs.

I also got mine at Farm King (but have since seen it at Kroger)

When life hands you scraps, make quilts!
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2011 :  2:28:01 PM  Show Profile
I will have to keep my eyes open for these. we live 40 minutes from a good grocery store so I try to keep stuff that will keep on hand...

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett
Beverley with an extra E...
https://sites.google.com/site/bevsdoggies/
http://bevsdoggies.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

SusanScarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

317 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2011 :  11:01:52 AM  Show Profile
There is also the same product in True Lime and True Orange.
Go to Top of Page
  Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic Did you know you can buy theses powdered? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page