MissWhit
True Blue Farmgirl

142 Posts

Whitney
Maine
USA
142 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2009 :  06:45:18 AM  Show Profile
Does anyone do this? We will be moving to a very small town in a couple weeks and the job I am hopefully going to get is at a greenhouse that's about a 5 minute walk from our house. Granted, we live about 10 miles from town, but I feel like it would be very possible for BF and I to share a car. No one I've talked to seems convinced that it's possible. I know it is, just wondering if anyone *successfully* does this currently...Thanks!!!

Also, has anyone read this book? Is it any good?

http://www.amazon.com/How-Live-Well-Without-Owning/dp/1580087574/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1233931261&sr=8-1

"The ordinary arts we practice every day at home are of more importance to the soul than their simplicity might suggest." Thomas More

Farmgirl Sister #154

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2009 :  06:54:45 AM  Show Profile
We've shared a car for 8 years of our marriage. You just have to be flexible, and willing to be adaptable. There are times when I'll take the bus home (25 minutes) so that he doesn't have to walk in the cold, and vice versa. He's far more inclined to take the bus than I am...

We are having our first child here, very shortly, and we will need to work out a more concrete schedule for who has the car when I go back to work, becuase he will be staying home with her in the daytime, but I we've always made it work, and have never, if ever, had an argument about it.

Good luck, it can be done--with ease!
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2009 :  07:17:21 AM  Show Profile
My husband and I share a car but we work at the same school. It has never been a problem. we do EVERYTHING together though so we don't usually have different places to be.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2009 :  07:46:15 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
We have shared a car since my husband wrecked his car (when we weren't even married) in 2001. It is very do-able if, like February Violet says- you are flexible. There are times where it won't work and as long as someone can walk or get a ride from a friend- no problem. I think that a lot of Americans are conditioned to believe a car is an absolute necessity. And in a lot of cases it can be (No public transportation but sprawling city plans for example) Here in Billings, the buses stop running at 6pm. So that can make relying on public transportation hard.

Give it a shot- if it turns into a nightmare you could always pick up a cheap car used from someone. Especially in this economy- I have never seen so many cars for sale privately.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2009 :  08:59:19 AM  Show Profile
I wish this could work for me, but my husband and I have too many different places to be. We've been able to make do for up to a few months at a time, but it makes life really hard.
Go to Top of Page

MissWhit
True Blue Farmgirl

142 Posts

Whitney
Maine
USA
142 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2009 :  09:47:38 AM  Show Profile
My only concern is that there is no public transportation in our city...or anywhere nearby at all. It's VERY rural. And it's only winter that I am concerned about, in the summer I can just walk or ride a bike.

"The ordinary arts we practice every day at home are of more importance to the soul than their simplicity might suggest." Thomas More

Farmgirl Sister #154
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2009 :  12:42:29 PM  Show Profile
If you know that one of you doesn't need the car to get to work, I think you've probably got a pretty good opportunity. Stuff like shopping and dr appointments can probably be worked out. As long as you are both equally committed to the idea...
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2009 :  1:46:51 PM  Show Profile
Hubby and I have always had two cars......and I have to say, it would be hard to go to one. He works, I mostly stay at home. He has meetings, I get the kids and haul them around....but on the week-ends we go everywhere together. However, when one konks out, it is so nice to have that back up car.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page
  Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic Sharing a car... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page