gardencottage
Farmgirl in Training

24 Posts

Kelley
Oxnard Ca
USA
24 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2009 :  4:15:04 PM  Show Profile
Ok well really I have more than one that I hope someone can help me with...
I just planted some rose bushes and they look like they are wilting~at least the leaves do...
Can roses have transplant shock?

The other question is how to deal with aphids and white powder mildew as naturally as possible?!
Thanks so much!

It is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones after all.
~Laura Ingalls Wilder

farmmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Kelley
Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2009 :  4:28:43 PM  Show Profile
Hey Kelley, This is Kelley.....I have to admit....when it comes to Roses, I have always had better luck with bare root roses!!! I believe roses Can have transplant shock! I have bought bushes that have lived and thrived for 1 maybe 2 years, then died....yet the bare root ones never even thought about failing me!! a few years ago, when i bought my first bare root, I was sceptical, because I'm the kind of gal that wants quick results....but oh, my!!! talk about QUICK! Bushes bought in containers don't hold a candle to bare roots!! The ones I've bought and planted have ALWAYS gone crazy with growth AND always bloomed their first year....wasn't always so lucky with the actual bushes in containers.....And as far as the aphids go....blasting them off with the waterhose and then mixing a little all natural dish soap with water in a spray bottle, then soaking the stems and leaves with it.....has always worked for me....just make sure that at the first signs of more aphids, you repeat the process....I usually have to do it once about every 3 weeks, give or take....Anyhow....good luck....and try some bare roots!! they are in all the garden centers and nurseries around here already!! It's that time of year...ca u believe it?...lol....Kelley
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2009 :  4:50:12 PM  Show Profile
Soapy water for aphids. They cannot breath in it and it doesn't hurt the plant. Or ladybugs, in the spring you can buy them at the garden stores. Powdery Mildew---Plants need air moving around them and if you already have PM rake out all the leaves that have fallen--mildew is a spore and it will stay in the ground and repeat--and get rid of them. Take the leaves off the plant that have PM on them. Remember to have lots of air flow around a plant. Don't jam them up against the wall and if the nights are chilly don't water in the evening. Hope some of this helps. MB

http://www.smallcityscenes.blogspot.com
www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2009 :  5:03:43 PM  Show Profile
when you plant the roses make sure that you add a little peat,a little compost to the hole in which you plant it..it will give the roses a little boost. make sure that the soil is firmly tamped down around the plant..no air pockets.
And water well at first.Do not water your roses in the evening because alot of times the water does not have time to evaporate off and can cause blackspot and other problems. Water at the base of the plant.
If you purchase bare root roses it is good to set the roses into a bucket of water for a few hours and gently loosen up the roots to get them ready for absorption of nutrients.
I'd remove any wilted leaves if they have gotten brownish looking/dry. the plant will bounce back.
on occasion add banana peels inside part down into the soil, as well as crushed egg shell...your plants will enjoy the extra potassium and calcium you add to the soil.

~I Dream of a Better World..where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned!~
blogs:http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and http://thevictorygardener.blogspot.com
magazine: www.stliving.net
etsy shops: http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
and http://myvictorygarden.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Lanna
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lanna
A little town in Idaho
330 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2009 :  12:45:34 AM  Show Profile
Yeah, when we've transplanted roses around our yard they're in shock for up to a week or so (just don't forget to water them!), but they keep coming back. And back. And back. We haven't been able to kill ours, but we take a more ignore-them approach and let them do their thing. They seem to love it.

One year it even seemed like one plant I moved had died (and we'd pruned off all the stalks), but we left it in the ground to deal with the next year. It sent up stalks the next year despite looking dead the previous year - just needed to get it's bearings. But a friend tells me it just may be wild roses (i.e. people graft fussy roses onto wild rose rootstock? I don't know, whatever), so don't take my word on it.

Lanna, mama to three little monkeys
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2009 :  02:20:56 AM  Show Profile
YES!! Banana peel do wonders for roses! Mom (and I too) always put banana peel in the soil, they do thrive.

And if i remember correct: never plant roses where there have been roses before without re-newing the soil. They seem to not grow otherwise??

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

My personal blog:
http://just-me-a-dutch-girl.blogspot.com/

Almost daily updates on me and mine :)
Go to Top of Page

farmmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Kelley
Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2009 :  09:31:59 AM  Show Profile
yes, dutchy is right!! And I learned that one the hard way!!! Also,... an old family secret that I should have posted in my first reply.....Banana peels and coffee grounds mixed together then dumped in the planting hole before you plant the rose...and of course "feeding" them after wards with banana peels also!! It really seems to work.
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2009 :  8:28:06 PM  Show Profile
We transplanted a large number of roses last spring and early summer. We moved them from my DH's grandparent's home and many of them are very old. If they had leaves they all dried up and fell off. Most of them were dried up sticks all summer but they eventually started to get new leaves. By fall I decided they are all going to make it. When we moved them, we pruned them back hard and put a marker on them so they were oriented the same direction--N,S,E,W--when we put them back in the ground and we gave them a nice side dress of aged manure. I watered them really well all summer even though they looked dead. I moved one climber that didn't even know it had been moved. It had buds on it when we dug it up and I swear it never even stopped blooming.

"Nature always has the last laugh." Mrs. Greenthumbs

Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2009 :  08:08:39 AM  Show Profile
When is the best time to prune roses. We planted 5 last July , they did pretty good. A couple did not bloom but grew well.
DO we prune them hard or just the bad looking branches? I really do not know muchabout roses. The ones I always had years ago I did nothing but water them..

Cheryl
Farmgirl #309

Almost daily posts at:
http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
Come visit the barn at http://barndoorcreations.blogspot.com/

Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise',
I wash my mouth out with chocolate.
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2009 :  3:43:31 PM  Show Profile
Well, you're a little farther south than I am but are you high desert? I always follow the advice my mom gave me about when to prune. She thinks most people here prune too early--February, early March. I wait until after the first of April to prune mine. We've been known to get some late freezes and snow and pruning too early came really hurt them. I don't prune back too much either--not even as much as she does. I clean out the dead stuff and open them up but leave most of the stems about 2'. I have really pretty roses most years. The only reason we pruned the ones we moved so hard was to hopefully minimize the 'shock.' It seemed to work.

"Nature always has the last laugh." Mrs. Greenthumbs

Go to Top of Page

farmmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Kelley
Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2009 :  06:16:48 AM  Show Profile
Kelley, What USDA hardiness zone are you in? Here in 8, we always prune on Valentines Day...has always worked for us, and I have found by alomost personal experience (meaning My MIL) not to prune in the dead heat of summer!!!! My mil did that to a beautiful rose bush last summer...and I mean...she pruned it back hard!!! Needless to say, the Rose bush died, despite my attempts to bring it back!
Go to Top of Page

Gaelic Gardener
True Blue Farmgirl

61 Posts

Kelly
Providence Rhode Island
USA
61 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2009 :  05:53:00 AM  Show Profile
Another thing that roses love a lot is seaweed. Here in Rhode Island citizens have a constitutional right to harvest as much seaweed as we like. I go and fill a 20 gallon rubbermaid tote, hold my nose for the ride back home ;) and put it around the base of my roses. You don't have to compost it, it can go directly from the ocean to the rose bed. Kelley -- see if you have a similar opportunity in CA. Also, roses love Epsom salt -- you can either scratch it into the soil around the base of the plant or put about a cup of the salts into a 2 gallon watering can and water the rose bushes with it.

As for pruning, in fall you prune anything that is dead (black intead of green), diseased or branches that are rubbing against another. You do the major pruning in spring. It "wakes the rose up" and signals new growth. Here in New England we prune roses when the forsythia blooms. It's painful the first few times you chop the plant down, but it's worth it, they need it and you'll get a lusher plant for it.

When you plant a rose, whether it's a bare root or a live bush, make sure you make a little hill inside the hole for the roots to rest on. Water the hole, then backfill, making sure (like someone said before) to make sure you're not leaving any air holes. Give it LOTS of water!

[Knocking on wood....] I don't have a problem with aphids, but I found this online -- it's about as organic as you can get -- plants and water!!! http://gardenofeaden.blogspot.com/2008/12/how-to-make-natural-and-organic.html
I also like the products at GardensAlive.com

Also see if your community has a Rose Society [there's a directory here http://www.ars.org/ ] -- their websites are chock full of good tips for growing roses. Or you can contact your local cooperative extension, although they're not always organic-focused.
good luck!
--Kelly
Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2009 :  06:56:43 AM  Show Profile
I remember ordering ladybugs years ago when I was married and had a large garden. You have to set them out at night and then in the morning you'll see ladybugs everywhere. Makes me want a big garden again, though I expect the ladybugs could be fine for my tiny garden...

Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Rose Question... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page