whispering pines
True Blue Farmgirl

428 Posts

patricia
sedro woolley wa
USA
428 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2006 :  11:14:13 AM  Show Profile
Has anyone used a Vita Mix? What have you made with it?

Edited by - whispering pines on Jan 07 2006 3:38:10 PM

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2006 :  12:38:42 PM  Show Profile
oh lordy! i had one of those many moons ago! and i loved it! i remember making soups and ice cream in it! (BUT NOT at the SAME time!) don't remember the recipes .. cuz' it has been so long .. if you get one .. i'm sure you will love it .. and i'm sure it is probably even more advanced that the one i had! xo

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2006 :  09:41:28 AM  Show Profile
Patricia,
I lllloooooovvvve my Vita Mix. We use it daily for fruit smoothies. The Vita Mix stays out on the counter and we have a sort of work station right where it is. My children have been trained on how to use it and I have found it to be safe, although quite loud.

There are many things I use it for that a food processor or blender could do....salsas, salad dressings, etc... But, the power of that motor is something else and makes it worth it for other things I can't make with regular appliances.

We used to be big juicers. I couldn't keep up with enough carrot cake or carrot bread to use the pulp. I also couldn't bear to toss the pulp, either. I did put it in my compost when I just couldn't use it. With the Vita Mix, I have no pulp left over because it stays with the concoction you make. For example, instead of juicing carrots for juice I stick the whole thing in the VM and it pulverizes the carrots into a wonderful frothy drink. I usually add some other type of juice of liquid to thin it out and also add wheat germ or barley green.

Anyway, I know the theory behind the juicing is to get just the juice to digest quickly in your small intestine. But, I also know that the whole food is good, too. The VM, I think, makes the best of both....juice for quick digestion and pulp for fiber, and both for nutrients.

I dehydrate items from my garden that don't get canned. Much of these are herbs. I keep jars of the whole dehydrated herbs and then use the VM to pulverize them into powder.

I love fresh coffee and use the VM for grinding beans in the mornings. I grind flax seed into flour or powder when baking. I grind fresh peanuts for peanut butter. It works great for making tahini and humus....making both very smooth. I also grind wheat in it when I don't feel like grinding by hand.

We like fruit soups and sorbets made with the VM, too. I'll go get my personal recipes and share some with you.

If you're going to purchase one, I suggest you get the whole kit including the dry container and wet container. You really will use both.

Blessings!
Catherine

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

whispering pines
True Blue Farmgirl

428 Posts

patricia
sedro woolley wa
USA
428 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2006 :  09:51:59 AM  Show Profile
Thank you so much, I would love to have your personnel recipes. We purchased one with only the wet container, but I may want to purchase the dry also...I want to start using it...Thank you for the help. Patricia
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2006 :  10:57:02 AM  Show Profile
can you still only buy the vita mixer through a distributor? when i bought mine .. lordy over 30 years ago .. that was the case. i might want to look into getting one again. i have a beautiful 'juicer' but rarely use it!

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2006 :  11:06:16 AM  Show Profile
Frannie, I bought mine online. I did buy it directly from Vita Mix. I think the site is actually vitamix.com I did do some research on ebay and amazon, etc... I thought about purchasing at a reduced cost from one of those. I didn't feel quite comfortable...I usually buy books and non-expensive items from ebay and such. I bit the bullet and paid full price from the company. I don't have any regrets. I figured if I'm paying that much it's worth it for the company warranty. If I would've bought elsewhere, I'm not so sure I could've gotten service if I needed it. Which, I have not needed any service....this product is high quality. So, check out ebay and such, too. They'll have good deals.

Vita Mix sells a spatula scraper that is well worth the buy. Its curves fit in the grooves of the containers. They also sell flexible cutting mats that are marked with meats, fish, vegetables, fruits, etc.... When I'm doing a lot of cutting and chopping I pull these out and it keeps things organized and contamination free. Plus, they're flexible. So, you chop your fruits and then the board folds up like a funnel and voila! they slide right into the VM.

Catherine

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

whispering pines
True Blue Farmgirl

428 Posts

patricia
sedro woolley wa
USA
428 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2006 :  12:08:19 PM  Show Profile
I purchased mine from Costco, and this is a new year so it is the time to start using it. I was impressed with everything it could do on the demo. It is a powerful machine just need a few more ideas for using it...:)
Go to Top of Page

Mrs Tiggywinkle
Farmgirl in Training

36 Posts

Sara
Spokane WA
USA
36 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2006 :  10:49:04 AM  Show Profile
I've got a Vitamix, too. Like Cajungal, I like it b/c it uses the whole food, unlike juicers. I don't like the idea of throwing out the fiber.
One recipe that I like is my morning green smoothie. I toss in 1/2 a banana, 1/2 an apple, water, ice, & a handful of greens (usually the organic salad mix stuff) You can't taste the greens @ all, even tho the drink is green, but I know I'm getting their benefits! Great way to get kids to eat their veggies, I imagine.
Love, Sara

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Vita Mix? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page