CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2006 :  11:12:18 AM  Show Profile
Farmgirls .. just had to share this recipe for Kentucky Hot Browns.
Kentucky Recipes are sent each month by the man and woman who sold Cabin Creek Farm to us .. Brad and Cindy Simmons.

They have become 'kindred' souls and are responsible for making it possible for Kentucky and Cabin Creek Farm to become a wonderful part of our lives!

Brad and Cindy .. give the BEST parties!!!! ... They own humvees, humdingers, four-wheelers, three wheelers, motorcycles, motorbikes, jeeps, and OH MY GAWD .. a GOLF CART!!!!

Hank and I had a 'memorable' New Year's Eve with them at their 'heaven on earth' farm .. soon after we arrived, Hank left with Brad for a 'short ride' .. and returned with a HUGE grin on his face and exclaiming that i HAD to go for a 'golf cart' ride with Brad! (I HAVE NEVER, EVER BEEN SO SCARED IN MY LIFE .. FOR MY LIFE!!!) (HMMMMM .. my FIRST clue .. should have been the fact that their hair was sticking straight UP! Now .. did you know that it IS possible to get a 'golf cart' (by the way which has NO TOP .. and NO SIDES) up to ... ohhhhhhhh ... EIGHTY MILES PER HOUR!!! And that you can weave left and right zig-zags and turn 'on a dime' .. and dive down hills ... and that sucker can climb STRAIGHT UP a hill .. and .. did i mention ... at speeds of 80 MPH!!!! I think Brad has discovered the secret of 'defying-gravity' (except for the hair thing!) Now .. i DON'T "DO" roller coasters and other scary rides .. so i was probably somewhat of a 'wuss' .. cuz' EVERYONE was asking for second and third rides!

Here's a little history behind that famous dish. One taste and you will see why it is served all over the state all throughout the year here in the Bluegrass State.

In 1923, The Brown Hotel in Louisville, KY drew over 1200 guests each evening for its dinner dance. In the "wee" hours of the morning, the guests would grow tired of dancing and retire to the restaurant for a bite to eat. Guests were growing rapidly tired of the traditional ham and eggs, so Chef Fred Schmidt set out to create something new to tempt his guests' palates. Thus, the Hot Brown was born, an open-face turkey sandwich with bacon, pimento, and a delicate mornay sauce. Who could have guessed that this chef's dedication to service would start such an enduring and well-loved Kentucky tradition & the Hot Brown.

THE Recipe!

Hot Brown Recipe

4 oz. Butter (half stick)

Flour to make a Roux (about 6 tablespoons)

3 - 3 1/2 cups Milk

1 Beaten Egg

6 tablespoons Freshly Grated Parmesan Cheese (you can use Cheddar too)

1 oz. Whipping Cream

Salt and Pepper to Taste

Slices of Roast Turkey, thinly sliced

Slices of Kentucky Country Ham, thinly sliced (regular ham is ok)

8-12 Slices of Toast (may be trimmed)

Extra Parmesan or Cheddar for Topping

8-12 Strips of fried Bacon

Melt butter and add enough flour to make a reasonably thick roux (enough to absorb all of the butter). Add milk and Parmesan cheese. Add egg to thicken sauce, but do not allow sauce to boil. Remove from heat. Fold in whipped cream. Add salt and pepper to taste.

For each Hot Brown, place two slices of toast on a metal (or flameproof) dish – cast iron works Great! Cover the toast with a liberal amount of turkey and ham. Pour a generous amount of sauce over the turkey and toast. Sprinkle with additional Parmesan cheese. Place entire dish under a broiler until the sauce is speckled brown and bubbly. Remove from broiler, cross two pieces of bacon on top, and serve immediately. This is a perfect winter meal for dinner or a Sunday brunch, of course finished with a glass of smooth Kentucky Bourbon!

True Friends, Frannie
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Kentucky Hot Brown Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page