mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2009 :  5:37:04 PM  Show Profile
My dd and her bf are new chicken "parents" and they have a big problem maybe you can help them with. They raised 5 Wyandots (sp?) amd 5 Aracaunas from baby chicks and have babied them all along the way, but lately some of the chickens have been jumping on the other ones and picking their feathers out. They tried spraying them with some sort of mite stuff, supplementing their diet, etc. but it only seems to be getting worse. This week Pete has been watching and it seems like the Aracaunas are the aggressive ones. Anyone have any insight into this and what they can do short of butchering the Aracaunas? If they have to do that, they will be heartbroken - they baby those chickens like they are children!

Farmgirl Sister #98
Check out my new online store
http://www.shopthefrontier.com/VFstore/index.php?manufacturers_id=79&osCsid=6be4b25bf9555031c6e2e86bbde23dba

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2009 :  5:55:23 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
How big are their quarters? Perhaps they need more room and more things to peck and scratch at?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2009 :  6:42:53 PM  Show Profile
They have a roomy house and a pen about 20 x 20 that he lets them into every day. They are also always throwing something in their pen for them to peck at. Last week she bought a big winter squash and cut it in half and threw it in there - I don't know what it is, but it's pretty heart breaking!

Farmgirl Sister #98
Check out my new online store
http://www.shopthefrontier.com/VFstore/index.php?manufacturers_id=79&osCsid=6be4b25bf9555031c6e2e86bbde23dba
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2009 :  7:11:41 PM  Show Profile
They sure do.. One of mine is really a loner. She certainly holds her own though in the pecking order when she wants what another one has..They are so funny to watch,.

Cheryl
Farmgirl #309

Almost daily posts at:
http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
Come visit the barn at http://barndoorcreations.blogspot.com/

Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise',
I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

Edited by - K-Falls Farmgirl on Feb 05 2009 7:12:23 PM
Go to Top of Page

Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

105 Posts

Anne
Wisconsin
USA
105 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2009 :  07:14:34 AM  Show Profile
I am new here and so have less "experience than a lot of you, but when we had trouble with the chickens that was similar someone told me if the protein level might be low to throw them a handful of dried catfood.
We do it every few days now and have not had anyone pecking on anyone else since the first couple days.
This is not recommended as a "regular" diet but as an occasional "treat"
The chickens are so happy to see me come with their "treat" and come running. It sure doesn't last long.
Just maybe this thought will help someone else.
Though for a time I had "chicken flavored" catfood and it was kinda weird to watch them enjoy it so much!!
Go to Top of Page

SheilaC
True Blue Farmgirl

1948 Posts

Sheila
Vermont
USA
1948 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2009 :  07:21:34 AM  Show Profile
our araucanas are actually the ones in our bunch that get pecked the most. . .
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2009 :  07:37:40 AM  Show Profile
According to what I tell my customers, other things to be aware of are...
stress, feed defincies (calcium? Vitamin D? more protein?) illness, and boredom. Othet than givng them a small tv set to watch, try leafy green hay for them to scratch and peck at. Other things to peck at would include shiny cat toys hungs from the ceiling of coop. Pie tins, a head of cabbage/lettuce. Chickens like to stay active. I personally dont think its the personality of an ameracauna/aracuana if they have enough to do. I'd also put a vitamin supp in water... and extra protein. A small handful of dry cat food, once or twice a week should fufill their protein intake.

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens-Mother Hen

http://harvestthymefarm.etsy.com
http://heirloommavens.blogspot.com
http://harvestthymefarm.blogspot.com

"I figure if a girl wants to be a legend, she should go ahead and be one!"...Calamity Jane
Go to Top of Page

gspringman
True Blue Farmgirl

387 Posts

Gail
Bonanza Oregon
USA
387 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2009 :  08:48:57 AM  Show Profile  Send gspringman a Yahoo! Message
My hens did the same thing but I purchased some hen pecking ointment and put it on the spots they pecked and it seemed to help. Also try hanging your fruit or veggie so they have to reach a little to peck at it. It's a real treat for them. I also use a red lite in the coop which is suppose to help keep the pecking down. Good luck.

Gail
Go to Top of Page

farmchick4
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Heather
Beulah Nd
27 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2009 :  05:15:14 AM  Show Profile
Well, I have 6 Rhode Island Reds. 4 are birds that I've had since hatchlings.(4-08) In Oct 08 I added two more Reds to them and it was fairly uneventful, just the normal pecking order business going on.

Last week I purchased two more birds and they are Ameracaunas, one silver & one red. My old Reds seem to hate the silver one. They will seek her out and just sit and peck her. And she's got such a docile personality she just takes it. So I've had them seperated but together in the same housing. Last night I had them all spend the night together and she's missing quite a few feathers on her back so I seperated her and her friend from the old reds. I feel like I've tried all the solutions that I've researched with no luck. All this is further complicated by the weather we've been having with flooding and blizzards, they can't get out.

I guess I was lucky adding birds the first time and didn't expect such agression this time. Is it the different breed or color? They seem to leave the red ameracauna alone aside from the normal pecking order squabbles.
Go to Top of Page

marcy jo
True Blue Farmgirl

453 Posts

Marcy
Wawaka Indiana
USA
453 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2009 :  11:37:00 AM  Show Profile  Send marcy jo a Yahoo! Message
So if the chickens are bored or need protein would that explain why they are pecking the snot out of my eggs??? I literally had to beat them off of the 1st egg today and they got to the second one before I could. My roosters are the ones who seem to start the whole show. They are on death row anyway and will soon be walking the "Green Mile"!

Marcy #257

http://marcyjosmarket.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

StasiaSpins
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

Stasia
Augusta (Eau Claire) WI
USA
78 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2009 :  7:41:38 PM  Show Profile
Suggestions:

You can take them out and re-introduce them to each other one at a time to re-establish a new pecking order.

The pecking ointment (pine tar) works very well.

Keep anyone pecked away from the others as long as they are bald or bloody. Re-introduce them to the other chickens in a separate area one at a time before turning them loose. Do so late in the evening before turning out the coop lights for the night.

Less light in the coop.

More fresh air in the coop.

When you put in an "entertainment" of scraps, put in more than one pile. Leafy greens are excellent and keep them well-occupied.

Have more than one feeder and waterer! They get territorial about those.

We never add supplements to our water; they can spoil easily, and we feed organic ration.

Try adding some diatomaceous earth to their feed on a regular basis, in case internal parasites are bothering them and making them testy.

marcy jo, once you have an egg eater, it will teach the others to eat eggs, practically as soon as they're laid. Best to cull the culprit immediately. It can't be un-learned. Chickens just love eggs once they get a taste of them. If you have any broken eggs, remove them from the area immediately. Collect eggs more than once or twice a day.

A well-balanced layer ration should provide all the protein your adult chickens need. But I have read about the high-protein cat food "remedy," too.

We had a batch of brain-dead hybridized white meat chickens that came free once with an order of our heritage breeds; they were the MOST aggressive chickens I have EVER seen and tried to kill each other before they were old enough to butcher. They were very stupid compared to the heritage ("unimproved") breeds, too. I'd never raise them again - not for free, not if you PAID me! Spent so much time chasing one another around the barnyard they never put on any weight! ;)

http://www.TuppinzFarm.com Heritage Sheep ~ Goats ~ Donkeys ~ Poultry
http://YarnAndABarn.blogspot.com Spinning ~ Knitting ~ Weaving ~ Quilting ~ Crocheting
Go to Top of Page

twzlrwho
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

christina
dewitt va
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2009 :  07:32:27 AM  Show Profile
This is all such great advice! Thanks for this post. My chicks are a bit young, but this will come in handy when they are older. I already have a rotten little roo at 4 wks of age is on "death row" lol. He is already really agressive towards the others. I have tried all of the above and so far I haven't had much luck. He is in solitary confinement...LOL. That's all I know to do after everything else failed. Good Luck! My fingers are crossed for you. Hugs

Christina

Work like you don't have to, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like nobody is watching :)
Go to Top of Page

idsweetie72
True Blue Farmgirl

129 Posts

Sandra
New Meadows idaho
USA
129 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2009 :  10:21:57 AM  Show Profile
I hope that since I started with all of mine together I don't have that problem- I don't know what I would do! One thing though that I remember from growing up is that we would save the eggshells, dry them, then crumble them up for the chickens to peck at- and since I have one duck that is laying- I do that with her shells, and the store bought eggs- so maybe that is helping as well.-
Good luck with the happy hens!

Mazy Day Farm
Go to Top of Page

marcy jo
True Blue Farmgirl

453 Posts

Marcy
Wawaka Indiana
USA
453 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2009 :  11:03:43 AM  Show Profile  Send marcy jo a Yahoo! Message
Thanks for the advice. I spent the weekend trying various things. Checking often for eggs, hanging foil toys from the top of the coop (when I put those up I think they certified me looney) gave them some cat chow, gave them some hay and threatened death to the roosters!! So this morning I found 3 intact eggs!!! I will keep a close eye on the girls for now but plan on building them a new coop in the next month or so!!!

Marcy #257

http://marcyjosmarket.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Chicken problems Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page