True Blue Farmgirl

785 Posts

Debbie
Southeastern Ohio
USA
785 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2009 :  1:11:51 PM  Show Profile
Hey there....
11 days ago, during an ice storm, our Airedale had 10 puppies. They are all thriving. (insert sigh of relief here)
But I have no idea how to go about registering them with AKC, when will they start running around, when is the best time to get their shots and wormed and how am I gonna find homes for all of them? Plus some breeders dock their tails..is this necessary? I think it is cruel myself. The father is AKC registered also. So is the mother. I'm worried she won't have enough milk for all ten. What kind of milk replaced can we use if she needs help? We got them from a terrible place and I love them. But we never really had any intentions of breeding them, but ya let one off a chain and turn your back and look what happens.....
(insert any advice here)
Debbie

"If you can't find the time to do it right...how will you find the time to do it over"

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2009 :  1:19:56 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Hi Debbie, I dont know the answers but I ADORE Airdale's.. I can't wait to see pictures.

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185
http://farmchicksfarm.blogspot.com/

Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJane's has made us SISTERS :)
Go to Top of Page

harmonyfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

785 Posts

Debbie
Southeastern Ohio
USA
785 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2009 :  1:22:14 PM  Show Profile
I know I'm gonna fall in love with all of them when they get older....But I can't take care of 12 Airedales!

Debbie

"If you can't find the time to do it right...how will you find the time to do it over"
Go to Top of Page

CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2009 :  1:45:37 PM  Show Profile
You shouldn't have much trouble selling good Airedales. Your vet should be able to tell you how to register them. I have purebred doxies but never registered them.No intent to breed. I think the main thing for you to do is to have them nuetered and spayed as soon as you can. Then no more surprise puppies!!LOL

Mary Jane

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do. Freya Stark
Go to Top of Page

ponypower
True Blue Farmgirl

68 Posts

Lily
Caspar Ca
USA
68 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2009 :  3:32:28 PM  Show Profile
Wow, fun at your house! A big Congrats! You must be tired. So must Mom,...TEN,...wow.

I have fostered a few pups and kittens with out the mom so I can chime in with a little bottle feeding advice,...lets hope you don't need it.

As far as milk replacers go usually your feed store or vet will carry one. If not, try kvvet.com, or jeffers vet supply. I usually use "esbilac" or "justborn". Buy a bottle too. They are usually right beside it on the shelf. It comes in a powder you can mix or in a can of liquid. Warm it up a little first and test it on your wrist like for a baby. Also it is good to help Mom out by wiping their little hiney's with a warm wash cloth to "stimulate" them into going regularly if you know what I mean. : )

But hey,..hopefully you won't need it at all and Mom will take care of it. Okay, that's my two cents!

Good luck with it all! I am gonna bet they are cute as heck!
Lily
Go to Top of Page

doglady
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Tina
Howard Ohio
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2009 :  06:48:01 AM  Show Profile
Hi Debbie,

The puppy tails really should be docked if you want to get top dollar for your puppies. When people buy an AKC Reg. dog, they expect it to look like the AKC standard. Tails are done at 2-4 days old. So if you have not had them done, you need to call your vet fast and not lose another day. To register your litter, go to AKC.org and download the application or you can do everything online. You will need all of the info on the stud male and his owner's signature as well. The replacer milk to use is called Esbialac (sp)and the powder form is best. Your puppies should have nice round fat bellys each time you check on them - if they don't - then they are not getting enough milk. Mom should be fed 2-3 high quality meals a day with that many puppies. Add in some cooked ground beef and cottage cheese so that mom won't have mastitis.

You really should spay and neuter both dogs and not have any more accidents again because many puppies do end up in terrible places even though your intentions are good. I place all of my puppies with non-breeding agreements. If you have any questions, I'll be happy to answer them.

Tina
PS My girl just had 4 Miniature Schnauzers yesterday!

You can tell your dog all of your secrets and they'll never say a word!
www.kennelcreations.com

Edited by - doglady on Feb 05 2009 06:52:07 AM
Go to Top of Page

harmonyfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

785 Posts

Debbie
Southeastern Ohio
USA
785 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2009 :  12:35:57 PM  Show Profile
Both parents of th epups are on the premises. I think docking tails and clipping ears is barbaric. They are almost two weeks old now...how much money could be lost by leaving them intact? I guess there won't be any point in registering them with the AKC if they aren't docked...eh? I'm not into rearing this litter for the money, but some income from them would be nice...but not necessary. I'm definately planning on having the mother fixed after she weans the pups.
Thanks for your insight!
Debbie

Go to Top of Page

harmonyfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

785 Posts

Debbie
Southeastern Ohio
USA
785 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2009 :  10:32:44 AM  Show Profile
Well it's birthday time for the pups, they are one month old today. In two more weeks, we will haul them all in to the vet clinic to get shots and wormed and then they will be ready to go...snif...snif...
We bought a can of milk replacer but never had a need for it. The puppies are huge and so cute. They are starting to get their real Airedale markings now.....
Anybody need a good dog, whose smart and loyal and sooooo cute?
Debbie

Go to Top of Page

Maryjane Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

2195 Posts

Maryjane
CA
USA
2195 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2009 :  11:50:18 AM  Show Profile
Can't wait to see spme pics!

Hugs,
Maryjane Lee

Farmgirl #44
Sisters on the Fly #595

http://thebeehivecottage.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

yasmine
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

yasmine
wappingers falls ny
USA
173 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2009 :  2:26:21 PM  Show Profile
I want one!Im in ny . I would rather have them not fixed !!!
i dont care about the tail either!I wish I could come see them!
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic 10 new Airedale Puppies Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page