Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Knitting questions...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Knitting questions... Next Topic  

obventions
Farmgirl in Training

23 Posts

Liz
Lexington KY
USA
23 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2009 :  11:04:48 AM  Show Profile  Send obventions an AOL message  Click to see obventions's MSN Messenger address  Send obventions a Yahoo! Message
I really hope that this makes sense, as I am horrible at describing things.
I've been teaching myself to knit. Tried crocheting and it's just too backwards for me. (Or maybe I'm backwards, who knows.)
Well, I accidentally taught myself to knit backwards. (did I mention I'm severely dyslexic?)
So.. I've been tinkering with it, and finally got myself set on track with the "English" style of knitting instead of the "continental" style. Well, I thought it would be neat to fiddle with it. I've found that I REALLY like the look of knitting a row right handed/English style, then instead of turning the work over and doing it again, just knitting a row left handed/Continental style, and repeat. One side is very um.... flat? And the other side has the bumpies... I guess the stitches? (Yeah, I know, it's vague, I don't know the terminology.) Is there a particular name for this? (If need be, I'll get a picture.)
Also..... Could someone pretty pretty please with a cherry on top, explain to me in simple terms how to increase stitches? I've looked at a couple of different videos and read a couple of different things, but somehow, my loop comes undone...or is too big... or.. something. It's just not coming out right. (I've been trying to use the kfb method? I think that's the name of it?)
Thanks <3

Bonne
True Blue Farmgirl

3003 Posts

Bonne
Littleton CO
USA
3003 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2009 :  11:12:16 AM  Show Profile
Did you go over to TribalCime's house for crocheting lessons? I think it's probably easiest to learn "in person", but learning online can be done. The one side flat and one side bumpy is the look of "stockinette" stitch. That's "normally" done doing 1 row in garter stitch and 1 row of purl, but it sounds like you've invented a different way of doing it. What a character!! LOL Seriously, do you know Lisa in Lexington? You'd get along for sure or else she'd just hit you over the head and tell you to find something else to do. lol Increasing stitches I just YO (yarn over) OR knit a stitch and put it back on the left needle.

http://bonne1313.blogspot.com/ BLOG
Go to Top of Page

obventions
Farmgirl in Training

23 Posts

Liz
Lexington KY
USA
23 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2009 :  11:35:15 AM  Show Profile  Send obventions an AOL message  Click to see obventions's MSN Messenger address  Send obventions a Yahoo! Message
Yes. I actually signed up for the forum because of Lisa. Annnnnnnnnd when Lisa and I looked at each other with our different needles, we just looked at each other funny and commented on difficulty, and that the other is crazy for thinking its easy LOL!
And OMG! You mean... that ... it's a stockinette stitch... without purling?! WOO. I hate to purl... WOO! Basically I just... knit garter right handed, then knit it left handed. It really is speedy.
And.. I think my YO's really really suck. So by knitting a stitch then putting it back on the left needle.... do I need to like.. hmm. how to explain. When you knit a stitch, you put the right needle into the yarn loopy on the left. Pull the yarn through, an the new stitch is on the right. Then typically you drop the stitch that was on the left and then go to the next..... Do you drop when increasing? Or just put thew new one back over to the left and then knit? I hope that made sense LOL
Go to Top of Page

Bonne
True Blue Farmgirl

3003 Posts

Bonne
Littleton CO
USA
3003 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2009 :  12:04:16 PM  Show Profile
Put it back on. The stitch on the right side goes back on to the left and you knit it again. Don't know how everyone else does it, but that's what I do. lol To decrease you knit 2 stitches together as if they were 1.
Try the crocheting again. I just picked that up last year after mostly doing really basic knitting. I still do "basic" crochet but it's really not that difficult.
Oh, and what is it you are knitting? If it's scarves, instead of going back and forth doing the short rows, instead, cast on 100 stitches and knit it lengthwise for several rows. (about a #11 or #13 needle) Easier and less chance of goofing up and losing stitches. ;)

http://bonne1313.blogspot.com/ BLOG
Go to Top of Page

obventions
Farmgirl in Training

23 Posts

Liz
Lexington KY
USA
23 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2009 :  12:37:48 PM  Show Profile  Send obventions an AOL message  Click to see obventions's MSN Messenger address  Send obventions a Yahoo! Message
For the increasing question: my mother wants me to make her a shawl out of this micro-spun-pain-in-the-bum yarn she got, but can't crochet because of her hands (she's got really bad RA.) As far as everything else, I've knitted various pot holders / dish cloths with the raised designs in them, little pouches and bags, an iPod cozy that I felted, and working on a flat-hat. I took the anti-beginner route. I refused to make a scarf first. LOL!
Crocheting is really difficult to me because I can't figure out where to pick up yarn from, and always get lost in the stitches. Anything beyond a basic chain, and I'm lost.
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Knitting questions... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page