Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2009 :  6:23:00 PM  Show Profile
After years of shuffling pages from magazines I finally put all the recipes in a book. I was amazed at how many I had. Every thing from laundry detergent, dish soap, dishwasher soap, floor cleaner, soft scrub, dusting spray... I then made a list of all the supplies and went and got them. I am making them up as I need them. It feel good to be green!

For tomorrow and its needs I do not pray, but keep me, guide me, love me, Lord just for today.
St. Augustine

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4737 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4737 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2009 :  8:21:42 PM  Show Profile
Good for you Julia! I love making my own cleaning and beauty products too. I'm always looking for new recipes to add to my collection. Having fun making your own brews!

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

City Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Deb
Chattanooga TN
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2009 :  04:25:52 AM  Show Profile
Good job! I keep mine in my "home management" binder. (I use the term management loosely right now.)

http://www.xanga.com/My_Pondering_Place
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2009 :  4:22:09 PM  Show Profile
It is a good thing for me as being organized has never been my long suit. I makes me smile to know what is used here at home is safe. Plus the house just smells fresh not chemically. Beauty products huh? What kind of things do you make. I have only made my own lip gloss.

For tomorrow and its needs I do not pray, but keep me, guide me, love me, Lord just for today.
St. Augustine

Go to Top of Page

LoraFLeming
Farmgirl in Training

30 Posts

Lora
Onalaska WI
USA
30 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2009 :  09:11:23 AM  Show Profile
Making your own cleaning & beauty products is so rewarding and simple! I bought a book on the subject and was hooked ... Natural Beauty at Home by Janice Cox is a great one, as is Organic Housekeeping by Ellen Sandbeck. My favorite recipes are for an all purpose cleaner ...

1 C vinegar in a bucket of water,
then a teaspoon or so of Dr Bronner's castille soap

And a deodorant/powder
1/4 C baking soda
1/2 C cornstarch
t lavender essential oil (or other scent)
sometimes I use a bit of liquid chlorophyll (which I also make myself)
This works so well I never have to buy commercial deodorants or antiperspirants anymore!
The organic housekeeping book also has great ideas for "greening" up the way you clean, as well as what you use. It's a great read!

"When in doubt, just take the next small step. Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection." Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

antoinette
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Toni
East Freedom PA
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2009 :  6:56:39 PM  Show Profile
Hi Julia,
Maybe you should make up a book of all your recipes,for people like me who are not so organized.
It sure would be helpful to me. I have little notes and folders everywhere. Someday it might get organized but I doubt it. Toni
Go to Top of Page

beccaroo
True Blue Farmgirl

68 Posts

Rebecca
Grand Prairie Texas
USA
68 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2009 :  6:29:07 PM  Show Profile  Send beccaroo a Yahoo! Message
Wow....I would really like to do something like that. If you ever get to where you can share it, I'm sure a lot of farmgirls (including me) would love for you to share it with us. I'm gonna try to do something like that also. Thanks for the great idea
Go to Top of Page

farmmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Kelley
Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2009 :  7:19:29 PM  Show Profile
Julia....Great!! I wish I had the same idea...but like beccaroo said...if you ever get to the point of wanting to share them......???....LOL.....I'd also like to have a few!!

BTW_ - beccaroo, I emailed you, but as I have come to find out lately, not every one that I PM on here actually gets my messages.....so....check your email, and if you don;t see anything from me on MJF, then post back on here...I'm dying to hear from you!!!! Kelley (Texas FarmGirl Neighbor)
Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2009 :  11:16:40 AM  Show Profile
Oh, you gals are great...I too am trying to make my own green "stuff" as I start running out of the other stuff I have. So, far I am just using vinegar as my fabric softner and I was using Mrs. Meyers products before which are natural but pricey so I want to make my own. What I hate to give up is Mrs. Meyer's countertop spray! I love her basil countertop cleaner. Does anyone have a recipe for THAT???? Or just plain countertop spray and then I could add essential oils. Thanks!

Sam in AR..... "It's a great life if you don't weaken!"
Farmgirl Sister #226

www.farmgirlsam.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

beccaroo
True Blue Farmgirl

68 Posts

Rebecca
Grand Prairie Texas
USA
68 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2009 :  3:38:52 PM  Show Profile  Send beccaroo a Yahoo! Message
Hey farmmommy....

I didn't see any messages....grrrr....I hate that so much. My e-mail address is beccagentry2000@yahoo.com if you want to try to e-mail me. Hope to hear from ya!!

beccaroo
Go to Top of Page

southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2009 :  03:39:27 AM  Show Profile
Julia, How smart you are. I am with everyone else. If you decide to share, I would love to try some of those receipes. Who knows, maybe you could write a book! (to sell of course)

BE HAPPY!!!
Go to Top of Page

lacisne88
True Blue Farmgirl

1181 Posts

Chelsey
Lake Stevens Washington
USA
1181 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2009 :  12:41:41 PM  Show Profile
What a great thing to do! I really have been wanting to try natural homemade cleaners and such. I want to stop using the chemical-ridden kind that are so bad for our planet and for us. If you ever plan on sharing recipes, I am all for it as well and would love to hear about them! :)

Chelsey
Farmgirl Sister #283

http://farmgirlpleasures.blogspot.com/

http://aminiatureworld.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2009 :  5:43:13 PM  Show Profile
Chelsey...there's been lots of posts if you do a search. I'm just getting started too but there are recipes for laundry detergent and other things. For softner just use 1/2 cup of vinegar. That's all I've used so far and what a difference! My towels have nap again and things feel SO clean without all that other softner stuff in them. Do your search on the CLEANING UP forum and you should find quite a bit. Let us know how you do!

Sam in AR..... "It's a great life if you don't weaken!"
Farmgirl Sister #226

www.farmgirlsam.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

glendagoldenbp
True Blue Farmgirl

196 Posts

glenda
cleburne tx
USA
196 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2009 :  6:45:49 PM  Show Profile
Julia-- Way to go! I wonder if you could mass produce it like those cookbook fundraisers. I for one would be willing to buy one. I have never been involved in something like that but would be willing to help if I could.

Thanks Lora for the resource info.

Sunrises are wonderous things, nobody should ever miss one.
Go to Top of Page

JoyIowa
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Joy

273 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2009 :  3:08:15 PM  Show Profile
Would you be willing to share how to make liquid chlorophyll??

And a deodorant/powder
1/4 C baking soda
1/2 C cornstarch
t lavender essential oil (or other scent)
sometimes I use a bit of liquid chlorophyll (which I also make myself)

If it's not illegal, unsafe, or immoral, why not try anything once? Who knows? You may come back for a second helping!
Go to Top of Page

sjs
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Stephanie
Oakland CA
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2009 :  7:35:44 PM  Show Profile  Send sjs an AOL message  Send sjs a Yahoo! Message
How great. :) I too would be interested if you put together a book!

--------------------
Learning to live is learning to let go.

Visit my food blog! http://www.wasabimon.com - natural cooking to live for.
Go to Top of Page

Laura Marie
True Blue Farmgirl

419 Posts

Laura
Rancho Cordova California
USA
419 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2009 :  10:35:30 PM  Show Profile
I've started my own. And now I have vowed that once a payweek, every other week, I am going to change over to a home made cleaning product. First was my air freshner and carpet cleaner. I think next will be dish soap. I'm starting to do it as I need to replace the actual product. That way since money is so tight I don't have to feel guilty about the unused product. I know that defeats the purpose, but I only have time to do some much. Slowly I will be there. But I have been going through all the sites and writing down what I like and what I want to use. I'm going to put them in a folder and then eventually make my own book....Maybe we should do that like we did with the recipes....hmmm...I have an idea brewing! Sounds like fun!
Farm Girl Hugs!

Laura Marie #369
www.lauramariedesign.com

"It's not the size of the farm but the size of your heart!"
Go to Top of Page

Laura Marie
True Blue Farmgirl

419 Posts

Laura
Rancho Cordova California
USA
419 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2009 :  10:52:57 PM  Show Profile
I emailed one of the sister, maybe we can get a Green Clean recipe book together and we can all submit our own entries for it? It's just a thought. Julia what do you think?
Farm Girl Hugs!

Laura Marie #369
www.lauramariedesign.com

"It's not the size of the farm but the size of your heart!"
Go to Top of Page

antoinette
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Toni
East Freedom PA
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2009 :  6:25:23 PM  Show Profile
I love the idea of a green clean recipe book, I am new to this!! So girls I will be waiting!!
Go to Top of Page

kim9365
True Blue Farmgirl

53 Posts

Kimberly
Salem Ohio
USA
53 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2009 :  10:15:54 AM  Show Profile
I am also going green with cleaning. I got really sick after using clorax 2 and after that I said enough is enough! I looked up some recipes online and found tons of them. I dont know what washing soap is or where to get that though.

http://www.dealingwithic.blogspot.com
http://www.paranormalunderground.blogspot.com

http://www.paranormalunderground.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

pamcook
True Blue Farmgirl

228 Posts

Pam
Chapel Hill NC
USA
228 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2009 :  06:37:19 AM  Show Profile
I was browsing at a large chain bookstore over the weekend and found a small book (on sale for $5!)from Arm & Hammer with a ton of uses for baking soda. It's easier to find the recipes than it is to find the supplies

www.ikat.org
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2009 :  8:19:32 PM  Show Profile
Well, you can tell I haven't been on this thread for a while. I would be more then happy to share the recipes I have. I will try to get them typed out, then I could make an attachment for email. Then whoever wanted the recipes could just email me. I will let you know when I have it together. How does that sound?

St. Augustine

Go to Top of Page

antoinette
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Toni
East Freedom PA
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2009 :  6:26:10 PM  Show Profile
Sounds great! Can't wait till you get it together, because I will be emailing you. Toni
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2009 :  7:42:19 PM  Show Profile
Laura Marie, I think pooling together our ideas is a great idea. Which 'sister' did you contact? I would be willing to recieve submissions and put them together. But however it comes together, works for me.

St. Augustine

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2009 :  07:18:03 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
One thing I did a while back was do a "print your own" recipe swap type thing. Maybe if everyone mails one person the recipes, then say once a week or once a month an email can go out with with all the new recipes. Then everyone can save them to their hardrives or print them out as they want. What do you all think?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2009 :  5:32:34 PM  Show Profile
OOO! I like your idea Alee! I am game to collect recipes and will send one a week. So, start sending them my way and we get going on this one!

St. Augustine

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 HomeSafeHome: Previous Topic Green Clean Recipe Book Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page