Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Question about plying yarn
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Question about plying yarn Next Topic  

FiddleChick
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

78 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2009 :  10:48:25 AM  Show Profile
Hi all! I'm just learning to spin (via drop spindle) and I know just enough to be dangerous. I'm getting ready to ply two yarns together and need to know (and the book I ordered on spinning has not arrived yet - argh!) if I should set the twist BEFORE or AFTER plying them together? Any spinners care to enlighten me? Many thanks!

Life is good. Pass the chocolate.

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2009 :  10:52:03 AM  Show Profile
Fiddle Chick, First off, WELCOME!!! You want to set the twist after you ply the 2 singles together! There are also a lot of videos on youtube for spinning and plying! Yipee, another spinner!!!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
www.justducky48.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

FiddleChick
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

78 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2009 :  5:42:52 PM  Show Profile
Thank you so much Monica!! You know, it's funny, but I learned to spin on the drop spindle from a YouTube video!! I was hoping for more to show me the rest of the process, but I couldn't find anything. I'm having such fun though...just got some alpaca fleece and it's spinning up so fine! I can't believe it. Can't wait to get a real spinning wheel. I'm trying to decide between an Ashford Traveller or a Kromski Minstrel...do you have any experience with either or words of wisdom? I am absolutely DYING to get some yarn plied so I can knit something that I SPUN!! LOL!! Thanks again!!

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2009 :  8:21:28 PM  Show Profile
I actually started spinning in June after reading some of the threads where the ladies were talking about it! I started on a drop spindle and I got a wheel in October from Grace who is on MJF. I know most people recommend trying as many wheels as you can to see what you like, but I didn't know anyone else near me who spun yarn so I just got mine! It's a Fricke S-160 single treadle and I love it! Even though I have never done yarn on a double treadle I think I prefer the single! You might also find some video at www.joyofhandspinning.com . I can't remember if they have video for plying or not!

When you ply the 2 together you want to spin them the opposite direction from the way you did the singles! One thing I would say is some directions will say to roll the singles into balls and put each one in a bowl or something to hold them as you ply. Personally I would not recommend it! I think it's much easier if you leave them on the spindles and have some tension on them because otherwise they can tend to twist together before you want them to and it's a big pain to undo them. I hope this helps some! Have fun spinning!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
www.justducky48.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

FiddleChick
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

78 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2009 :  1:56:10 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for sharing that site! It's got GREAT info! And thanks also for the other information. I picked up some alpaca roving yesterday and it's spinning up so nicely! Very thin...still can't wait for a wheel though. Thanks again!

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2009 :  2:03:43 PM  Show Profile
You will do just fine with your plying if you keep one thing in mind - plying always requires you to spin in the other direction then which you spun the single and the most important one is - this is the best time to correct the yarn. This means if you over spun or under spun now you can fix it. Go slow, breathe and have fun. A great way to keep the yarn from tangling before you get them plyed is take a piece of cardboard, plastic lid or such material that you can cut out holes about an inch or two away from each other. Thread the single thru the hole and do the same with the other single. This will keep them away from each other while plying - we call it a plying diz....

Good luck and happy spinning and plying.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

smoothiejuice
True Blue Farmgirl

6309 Posts

Jessica
Bloomington Indiana
USA
6309 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2009 :  4:48:42 PM  Show Profile
good idea...great thanks grace

http://hectichousehold.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

FiddleChick
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

78 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2009 :  03:46:41 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Grace! You know, I was wondering how to do that!! What should you wind them on to do it? I have a swift...will that work?

Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Question about plying yarn Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page